PDA

View Full Version : car wont start

Bazza58
17th January 2015, 13:58
Hi all,
today i moved my car from the carport to in front of the house to fit my chrome surrounds and to tidy up the dash cam wiring behind the interior of the car [ not wired to any thing ] only moved the car about 10 Metres on a slight incline but now she decides she does not want to start ,,,,:eek::eek:,when i turn the key she justs click click click , their is plenty of life in the battery , also nothing coming up to say what the problem is on screen either????
you guys help would be totally apreciated,and i am not ringing breakdown just in case i end up with some clown who knows nothing about these exceptional beautiful cars .

MangoMan
17th January 2015, 14:07
Starter Motor Solenoid by the sounds of it - relatively common. Just keep on trying it in quick succession, usually works.

Klarzy sells the Repair Kits I do believe....

chipsceola
17th January 2015, 14:09
Low battery power insufficient to start a diesel / dodgy starter solenoid or dirty loose connection all possibilities.

johnnyb44
17th January 2015, 14:19
Is your car an auto. If it is make sure its in Park on the selector. Ive made the mistake a few times now.

MangoMan
17th January 2015, 14:30
Low battery power insufficient to start a diesel / dodgy starter solenoid or dirty loose connection / low fuel in tank 1/4 or below are all possibilities.

If it's going 'Click-Click-Click', it won't be Fuel.... ;)

And the same goes for being in Park, if it's not in Park it won't do anything.... ;)

gazcaz
17th January 2015, 14:51
Hit the starter motor might be a bit froozen ;)

bl52krz
17th January 2015, 15:03
Is your car an auto. If it is make sure its in Park on the selector. Ive made the mistake a few times now.
Sorry but it would not be able to "click" if it was in park.

danyul89
17th January 2015, 15:07
mine done the same this morning, been okay the rest of the day, I'm hoping it could be the battery on my key fob?

Greeners
17th January 2015, 15:07
either flat battery, duff solenoid or a loose battery lead

Bazza58
17th January 2015, 15:16
ok guys so where would the starter motor be ,,and how easy is it to do, or do we have a thread with pictures on how to do the job, also will i have to disconnect the battery and will that upset the programming of my car ie: ecu or anything else for that matter ,,, sorry if i sound ultra stupid but hey this is why i am seeking you guys wealth of knowledge

Bazza58
17th January 2015, 15:18
i forgot too mention she is a Manuel and Diesel

gazcaz
17th January 2015, 15:21
Try here....http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=89262

ratchet
17th January 2015, 17:16
If you're not able to give the starter motor a tap............ try sticking the car in gear and then rock the car backwards and forwards (push it).

Don't forget to let the handbrake off before rocking.

suzublu
17th January 2015, 17:23
i forgot too mention she is a Manuel and Diesel

Ah, the "Spanish" version :bowdown::D:D

Robson Rover Repair
17th January 2015, 17:23
Flat battery almost 100% in this cold weather. The difference between our cars starting and not starting especially with the diesel is tiny. Give it a jump and let it run for 5 mins and switch on. / off and on again, if she starts then your battery is the problem.

planenut
17th January 2015, 18:00
Check the battery connections are tight, but to do that, give them a twist and retighten.
Then we'll get on to the short journies, really, car port to outside?

Aga
11th December 2015, 11:10
I had the same problem. Car would not start after I had refueled at a filling station. Called breakdown man out and he said that it was a common problem with our cars...... loose connection at the front of the starter motor! He fiddled with it and, lo and behold, it started.
Has happened a couple of time since, but I was able to get it started with a bit of a fiddle. However, it has happened again today.....and no amount of fiddling seems to get it to operate! Battery has been checked - it is a good one and has plenty of juice.
Do I need to replace the starter motor or is there a way to permanently refurbish the connectors?

freck
11th December 2015, 11:17
I had the same problem. Car would not start after I had refueled at a filling station. Called breakdown man out and he said that it was a common problem with our cars...... loose connection at the front of the starter motor! He fiddled with it and, lo and behold, it started.
Has happened a couple of time since, but I was able to get it started with a bit of a fiddle. However, it has happened again today.....and no amount of fiddling seems to get it to operate!
Do I need to replace the starter motor or is there a way to permanently refurbish the connectors?

The connection may be corroded slightly and/or have a loose spade connector.
You need to take it off, clean the contact with a bit of Scotchbrite or an old pan scourer. Make sure the spade connector is a tight fit, if not give it a squeeze together with some pliers, or better still replace with a new one.
When you put it back together, smear a little Vaseline on the contact to help prevent corrosion in the future. :xmas-smiley-008:

Number 6
11th December 2015, 14:16
I have had the exact same thing,battery seems Ok plenty of juice in it 12.6 volts showing.But still kept getting the Click Click.

So I removed the starter and took the solenoid apart found the contacts to be in reasonable condition considering the age and mileage,So I cleaned the contacts with emery paper gave it a clean with an air gun put it all back together and all seems OK now.

Before hand I did check all the contacts and connections and all were OK

COLVERT
11th December 2015, 16:32
Has happened a couple of time since, but I was able to get it started with a bit of a fiddle. However, it has happened again today.....and no amount of fiddling seems to get it to operate! Battery has been checked - it is a good one and has plenty of juice.

It's the solenoid.

Cheap and easy to re-furbish.---:grin: