PDA

View Full Version : rover 75 slightly white smoke from exhaust please help

entropy
18th January 2015, 05:45
Hi Rovers.
Please help your suggestions will be appreciated
I have a had a full gasket change which included both new thermostat and water pump and few other stuffs were changed these were piston rings, seals, and conroad and thrust bearings. The car run fine when i got it in ~ à month but i have recently noticed a very small amount of coolanf loss and it leaks some oils which are really noticeable after i move the car on a daily basis i can see a bit of oil that leaked. I have already booked with my mechanic tomorrow but he lacks knowledge about Rover 75 if someone can suggest what to do that would be much appreciated.:bowdown:
I have checked the oil are clean despite small coolant loss about half a cup every week. Engine runs well and idling is perfectly fine along with smooth ride. Except the white smoke i noticed today and the problems i mentioned. No signs of overheating or any other problems apart from the one i just mentioned

Thank you.

SD1too
18th January 2015, 08:48
Nshuti,

You have already asked about the coolant loss in your earlier thread (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205339) and I advised you what to do first. Have you done it? You also say in that thread that you've had the head gaskets changed. Can I ask why? They do not fail on a V6 unless the engine has been abused. Did your car overheat and you were told that it must be the gaskets?

In addition to this you say that you've had major engine surgery:
... other stuffs were changed these were piston rings, seals, and conroad and thrust bearings.
:eek: :eek:
What on earth is going on Nshuti? Who has done this work, and why?
I have already booked with my mechanic tomorrow but he lacks knowledge about Rover 75
:o :rolleyes:
Well cancel the booking then!

Anyway, to answer your question, white smoke from the exhaust is water vapour. This can happen naturally for a short time after a cold start if ambient temperatures are low, but in Auckland at this time of the year that isn't going to be the case is it. :D If it's present all the time then coolant is getting into the engine somehow, and that seems to be down to whoever has been working on it.

Simon

entropy
18th January 2015, 10:45
Nshuti,

You have already asked about the coolant loss in your earlier thread (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205339) and I advised you what to do first. Have you done it? You also say in that thread that you've had the head gaskets changed. Can I ask why? They do not fail on a V6 unless the engine has been abused. Did your car overheat and you were told that it must be the gaskets?

In addition to this you say that you've had major engine surgery:

:eek: :eek:
What on earth is going on Nshuti? Who has done this work, and why?

:o :rolleyes:
Well cancel the booking then!

Anyway, to answer your question, white smoke from the exhaust is water vapour. This can happen naturally for a short time after a cold start if ambient temperatures are low, but in Auckland at this time of the year that isn't going to be the case is it. :D If it's present all the time then coolant is getting into the engine somehow, and that seems to be down to whoever has been working on it.

Simon

Thank you for your help Simon, you are right indeed today after i finish shopping the white smoke came just shortly after the start and did not come again after even having a long drive i really don't have a clue.
i bought the car having not well looked after by previous owner as he had brown HG and many other stuffs as i mentioned many thinks were replaced in the process now that the car is back everything works well the car drive well and have a very strong power and nice over all performance with a decent 9.3L/100Km except these minor problems that are bothering me. i believe the leaky oil could be something the mechanic forgot to tightned up correctly as i recall well myself had to tight the throttle boddy well as it was also loosing, apart from the while smoke i am not really sure as whatever caused it today has stopped but will see tomorrow as i take the car to the garage again.
Thanks simon.

entropy
19th January 2015, 00:06
put where put on hoist and the leaking oil is coming from the front left bank camshaft cover, this made me wonder why as the oil seal were also replaced in the process, unless they weren't fit correctly :shrug: today i have experienced another white smoke from exhaust and it seems to happen during the long drive

entropy
19th January 2015, 09:40
The car was put on hoist and the leaking oil is coming from the front left bank camshaft cover, this made me wonder why as the oil seal were also replaced in the process, unless they weren't fit correctly :shrug: today i have experienced another white smoke from exhaust and it seems to happen during the long drive

Could someone please provide some suggestions

so far the car have the following issues:

a bit of coolant loss, oil leaking from one of the front camshaft bank from the cover, and the white smoke issue during a long Drive (50Km +) this started 2 days ago.
regarding oil leak, fingers crossed that it's either seal missfit or broken cam oil cap. though the mechanics charged me $250 to fix which i think is a bit of bargain since he will have to remove the cambelt again, secondarily as Simon mentioned above regarding the white smoke this is making me very frustrating if the water is getting into the combustion chamber again, for something that was done in less that a month where almost entire engine was changed, the blocks both engine and cylinder heads were taken to engineer to be skimmed, new pistons rings, thrust bearing etc..:shrug: before i get the mechanic to overahaul the engine again which will surely be costly is there anything anyone could please recommend to do :bowdown:.

PS: for more infos the car is a 75 V6 1999 2.5 initially given to a first mechanic to do the whole job but halfway through he made his mind that he can't carry on because he isn't able to, (he broke two of the camshafts already along with many other stuffs in process so i had to take the car to another mechanic whom finished the car a month ago but it was a mess as you can imagine when he received the car, the first mechanic is the one who did Head gasket fitting and it seems like the car might as well now be suffering from his poor service he gave me. is it possible for the Head gasket to start leaking water in engine again in less than a month due to poor fitting? please share any though man.
White smokes comes unpredictably and often comes when i press the pedal but also again it comes when the car was stationary in the traffic
Thanks

SD1too
19th January 2015, 12:52
Nshuti,

I'm afraid that unless you have the ability to repair your engine yourself, there is little we can do to help you. Your problems seem to have arisen from continuing incompetence from both your mechanics. For example:
... oil leaking from one of the front camshaft bank from the cover ... though the mechanics charged me $250 to fix which i think is a bit of bargain since he will have to remove the cambelt again ..
Err ... the cambelts do not need to be touched at all to remove the camshaft covers.

I can only suggest that you make enquiries locally to try to find someone who really knows what they are doing with the Rover KV6 engine. If the Land Rover Freelander was imported into NZ then that's a possible source of knowledgable personnel.

Simon

entropy
20th January 2015, 10:27
Nshuti,

I'm afraid that unless you have the ability to repair your engine yourself, there is little we can do to help you. Your problems seem to have arisen from continuing incompetence from both your mechanics. For example:

Err ... the cambelts do not need to be touched at all to remove the camshaft covers.

I can only suggest that you make enquiries locally to try to find someone who really knows what they are doing with the Rover KV6 engine. If the Land Rover Freelander was imported into NZ then that's a possible source of knowledgable personnel.

Simon

Thanks simon, i was aware that the belts probably won't need to move for just fixing the cap oil on camshaft but fixing oil seal onto camshaft then the belts should def come off. to be honest even though i see the blue-white'ish smoke sometimes in exhaust, i still can't comprehend how on earth this can be at all the gasket or engine block related. these are the blocks which were compression tested and skimmed by engineers of course i couldn't be that stupid putting them back on without testing them! and now in less than a month the Head gasket that was done is leaking again? :shrug: ?
the car hasn't been diagnosed yet but it will soon. as of now thank you for all your inputs.