PDA

View Full Version : fuel system cleaner for diesel

yorkymike
18th January 2015, 07:24
hI does any one know if its ok to use slick 50 fuel system cleaner in conjunction with a fuel burning heater,i.e will it affect its performance at all or will it improve it .many thanks mike.

Heddy
18th January 2015, 07:49
I thought Slick 50 was 'allegedly' designed as a friction reducer between moving parts. The only moving part in a FBH is the fan isn't it? if you mean as an additive to the tank, then nah, wouldn't bother.:}

yorkymike
18th January 2015, 11:00
slick 50 do produce an engine oil additive but they also produce a fuel system cleaner that you add to your fuel tank and as the fbh runs off diesel this would affect it

First_damned
18th January 2015, 11:23
can't see any harm in it, will help de coke it inside

COLVERT
18th January 2015, 12:02
What does the advertising blurb with it tell you.

Ask the manufacturer, really, and not us on here.

Mike Noc
18th January 2015, 16:19
hI does any one know if its ok to use slick 50 fuel system cleaner in conjunction with a fuel burning heater,i.e will it affect its performance at all or will it improve it .many thanks mike.

Mike do you have a specific problem, or are you doing this as part of a general service?

yorkymike
18th January 2015, 16:57
part of general service queerie sorted thank you ,am i on wrong forum sorry not sure of my way round yet.

jonathan63
18th January 2015, 17:03
Ive tried various so called injector cleaners. The only ones i have used that made a noticeable difference were Millers and Forte. Millers made my engine quieter and smoother. Forte zeroed the omissions for an MOT.
The only other additive I use regularly is 250ml of 2 stroke oil in every tankful.

yorkymike
18th January 2015, 17:27
regarding colvert the blurb did not cover my fbh and ihave had some good advice of other members and i thought that was what forums were for asking other peoples advice do you not think i looked on manufacturers site first duh

Mike Noc
18th January 2015, 17:37
part of general service queerie sorted thank you ,am i on wrong forum sorry not sure of my way round yet.

Nope you are on the right forum. I've yet to use any injector cleaner on mine.

I would if I had a problem, and Millers and Forte have been recommended, but so far they have been fine just running on the cheapest derv I can find.

yorkymike
18th January 2015, 17:45
thanks ive put it in any way did just wonder if it would affect fbh at all better safe than sorry many thanks to all replys.

LotusLC
18th January 2015, 19:18
Nice to see someone else from York on here , Welcome aboard ..

COLVERT
18th January 2015, 21:46
regarding colvert the blurb did not cover my fbh and ihave had some good advice of other members and i thought that was what forums were for asking other peoples advice do you not think i looked on manufacturers site first duh

They are and you are right. If I had seen you post that you had already got the info from the manufacturer I wouldn't have tried to help you.

( We do our best but I'm having trouble with my chrystal balls at the moment for Thought Reading. )

You can see from my post count that I answer lots of threads on here with no complaints. I think you may actually be the First. :eek::eek::eek:

Colvert. :new_year:---:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

yorkymike
19th January 2015, 06:33
Thanks for all the helpful comments better safe than sorry many thanks mike.

bl52krz
19th January 2015, 19:27
I have used Redex for years. My FBH still runs with no problems, especially today bbbbrrrr.

Stickman
20th January 2015, 06:01
Nope you are on the right forum. I've yet to use any injector cleaner on mine.

I would if I had a problem, and Millers and Forte have been recommended, but so far they have been fine just running on the cheapest derv I can find.

What better recommendation could you see - for the benefit of those who don't know - mikes car is on the far side of 360,000 miles :D
Seems there is a case for NOT using/needing any form of injector cleaner
I only use forte at mot time myself purely for emission purposes.
Regards
Chris

COLVERT
25th January 2015, 13:30
As a follow on to this thread.

Citroen, here in France, now do an injector cleaning service for their diesel cars as they say the new type of diesel fuels coming on the market are being shown to form deposits on injectors and are starting to foul them. :eek::eek::eek:

Colvert.

COLVERT
28th January 2015, 17:16
As a follow on to this thread.

Citroen, here in France, now do an injector cleaning service for their diesel cars as they say the new type of diesel fuels coming on the market are being shown to form deposits on injectors and are starting to foul them. :eek::eek::eek:

Colvert.

Apathy strikes again. :getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::D:D:D

andrewinpopayan
28th January 2015, 20:38
I change my UB fuel filter regularly and I always fill the new filter with FORTE diesel injector cleaner, then I start and run the engine for 10 minutes and switch off.
I then leave the car alone at least overnight as I know the FORTE will have got thru into the injectors, HP pump etc, Starts as sweet as a nut. I also run a tankfull of "super" diesel such as Shell "V power diesel) every 5 fill ups.

It may help to fit a small inline fuel filter between the tank and your webasto dosing pump to stop anything getting up to the dosing pump or the webasto unit itself.

I think I am going to use a modified fuel can in the back of my tourer and feed the heater from there on "red diesel" or "bio diesel", what ever is the cheapest, 5L should last a decent time.

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2015, 19:28

The FBH is not at all choosy as to what it burns, it certainly will not improve it though. It will consume almost any burnable oil.

Mike Noc
29th January 2015, 20:32
Apathy strikes again. :getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::D:D:D

Maybe that's 'cos we don't drive Citroens John. :D

If or when it starts affecting the M47R engine everyone will be all ears. :eek:

RoverDan
29th January 2015, 22:13
I've used Redex and Miller's EcoMax diesel additives on and off for three of the four years that I've had the saloon. In its first winter, the under-bonnet fuel pump sulked regularly, needing a tap to get it going. I put the 'recovery' in the spring down to the warmer temperatures and forgot about it - for three more winters.

The same problem started on the limo this week, and it made me realise that I couldn't remember the last time it had happened on the saloon. Faults don't tend to fix themselves, so has the additive cleaned the pump and thereby fixed the problem?

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2015, 22:21
It may help to fit a small inline fuel filter between the tank and your webasto dosing pump to stop anything getting up to the dosing pump or the webasto unit itself.

Completely unnecessary, I can assure you. There are no jets or restriction to damage or become blocked. The FBH will burn just about anything similar to diesel which you chuck at it, dirt an all.

I've done the separate tank for red diesel mod, it was me originated it. It really is not a worthwhile modification, for the tiny amount of diesel the FBH normally consumes. It would just about be worth while doing, if you got your fuel for the FBH for free.

Having done the work, I do run it on red, but it only save me pence per year, but it was more about working out how much fuel the FBH actually consumed per cold start. Satisfying my curiosity.

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2015, 22:27
The same problem started on the limo this week, and it made me realise that I couldn't remember the last time it had happened on the saloon. Faults don't tend to fix themselves, so has the additive cleaned the pump and thereby fixed the problem?

A reserved 'possibly' - These additives are formulated to dissolve tars and similar buildups, mainly in the injectors. Tars are a pretty good insullant, the brush gear of the pump motors run in the diesel. Possibly they insulated the brush gear and prevented the motor from running. Your tapping the pump would make it run, the additive could possibly do the same.