PDA

View Full Version : Bulb warning/door open warning problem:

maxxpump
18th January 2015, 09:57
Hello all,

Since about two weeks ago (after running my car through the car wash), the bulb warning light has kept flashing up on the dash, but it will turn on and off at random, I have checked all the lights and everything is working. Then ever since I came back from the star, leatherhead meet, the boot/bonnet/door warning light has been sporadically coming on and off. I have check the plenum....bone dry, i've checked all the switches on the doors (apart from I don't know where the bonnet and boot door switches are located).

Anybody have a clue of what may be happening or where to look.

I will never use a car wash ever again (years of no damage and then this, but I don't know if the two are even related!)

klarzy
18th January 2015, 10:04
Hello all,

Since about two weeks ago (after running my car through the car wash), the bulb warning light has kept flashing up on the dash, but it will turn on and off at random, I have checked all the lights and everything is working. Then ever since I came back from the star, leatherhead meet, the boot/bonnet/door warning light has been sporadically coming on and off. I have check the plenum....bone dry, i've checked all the switches on the doors (apart from I don't know where the bonnet and boot door switches are located).

Anybody have a clue of what may be happening or where to look.

I will never use a car wash ever again (years of no damage and then this, but I don't know if the two are even related!)

methinks some water resideth in your loom sire...

Greeners
18th January 2015, 10:15
Pound to a penny the car wash has forced water into the bonnet switch that lives under the rubber boot on the slam panel

maxxpump
18th January 2015, 10:15
Ill check the seals around the front windscreen and see if water has found its way into the dashboard. I hope not, but as im installing my amp near the passenger fuse board I will do a bit of exploratory surgery...I've traced all the cables, just got to screw the amp onto the bottom of the fuse lid (mind you it may make it hard to look up fuse information with a amp screwed to the front of the fuse diagram (maybe ill try installing it on the kick panel.......))

Wait a minute, the other day when I was going out and installing the radio for the trip (I still haven't properly installed my head unit, so it comes inside my house at night), I found some droplet of water on the aerial cable, but I thought i may have come from me so I ignored it (it was raining fairly hard that day!), I will check again, but the inside of the dash has already shredded my hands (why is it so bleeping sharp in there?).

maxxpump
18th January 2015, 10:17
Pound to a penny the car wash has forced water into the bonnet switch that lives under the rubber boot on the slam panel

can I dry it out or will I have to replace the switch, in that case where could I get a spare part form?

Greeners
18th January 2015, 10:20
can I dry it out or will I have to replace the switch, in that case where could I get a spare part form?

Squirt of WD40 usually does the trick, if you take the switch out, you need to refit the boot to the switch before fitting to thè panel. there are two tabs that need squeezing in to release it

clf
18th January 2015, 10:36
I would be with Klarzy on this one. If it was the bonnet switch I imagine the bonnet/boot warning would be on. (although with modern electrics/electronics, you never know lol)

Check the wiring loom behind the headlights. In particular the driver's side. They are known to rub on the seam of the chassis leg and cause all sorts of issues. I had the warning for a few months until I took the plunge to remove the bumper. This is what I found

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38769&d=1408743971

stevestrat
18th January 2015, 10:40
Few years ago, when these power wash places first started appearing, I took my Volvo S80 through. I lost all the lights at the back end! OK once it had dried out.