PDA

View Full Version : "door open " warning light sensors

johnnyb44
19th January 2015, 08:02
Good morning.
Everytime we have a frost the door open warning light illuminates. After a few miles it eventually goes out as the sensor thaws out inside the door. Does anybody know where the sensor is located so i can give it a good spray with some water displacer oil. I've already done the door catches with white grease but it has not solved the door open warning light problem.

Scaramanga
19th January 2015, 08:12
Same here! she was a nightmare this morning...doors/boot wouldnt open...then they wouldnt stay closed... What a carry on!

Be interesting to see replies to this. ;)

Nickymousecymru
19th January 2015, 09:42
Exactly the same issue with the boot... Won't open when frosty! Light on.. Goes when it warms up !

Greeners
19th January 2015, 10:39
Each latch has a micro switch built in that is used to signal when the door is open / closed. Very common for them to freeze in this weather......

Nickymousecymru
19th January 2015, 10:56
Is there a solution such as wd40 to sort it ? And how lol

Greeners
19th January 2015, 11:07
You can try squirting wd40 in and around.....but the switches are inside the latch assembly and not accessible.

d_a_n1979
19th January 2015, 11:10
Plenty of WD40

BUT

Remember to repeat the process with some lithium grease as WD40 is not the long term answer; it attracts water as well and that's no good for these situations :)

johnnyb44
19th January 2015, 11:47
Hmmm
When i lock the car up in the evening all is well with no issues but as the temp drops below freezing it obviously has some detrimental affect on the door shut sensors. Can this lead to the alarm going off in the middle of the night or do the sensors only play up once they have been disturbed by entering the car first thing in the morning.
Im just a little concerned as i park my car in the neighbours drive and worried of the alarm going off outside there bedroom window !!!!
Many thanks to all for reading and commenting.

Yella Fella
19th January 2015, 11:53
Maybe a silicon oil is better than WD40.

ProfDave
19th January 2015, 19:17
I have now had 6 75 and ZTTs in total some from new in the early days; as the olde adage goes 'they all do that sir' well at least all of mine have. First icy weather and the door open warning sign until the heater warms it all up. Now its like an old but annoying friend..........

First_damned
19th January 2015, 19:24
Mine does this also

Ps3000
19th January 2015, 20:11
So does mine - just the warning, the catch/locks are fine - it just "thinks" the door's open.

GED75
19th January 2015, 20:29
coincidence ,mine did it for the first time this morning ,checked all doors were closed,boot and bonnet,pressed the fob a few times and it went ok

peelaaa
19th January 2015, 20:40
This happened to my car this morning. First time in 7 years of ownership, must have been cold then:eek:

Yella Fella
19th January 2015, 20:50
My 75 did it today also. Confused the hell out of me lol. This is the first winter I've had it so I'm still getting used to its character. Interestingly my current ZT and previous ZT didn't do this.

johnnyb44
19th January 2015, 20:57
So we can really call this a " rover thing " lol ..
Our cars have so much character compared to other offerings. We have unique headgaskets , quirky clutches on are diesel , and not forgetting the Olympic sized swimming pool in the boot .....or was it the plenum chamber. These cars really do keep us on our toes. I think that's what i like about them to be honest. Theres always something to do or check which keeps the interest levels high.
Just imagine if our cars were perfect in every way. This forum would be a real boring old place. There would be no questions about problems or step by step guides to mods and improvments.
These cars of ours make a good club through there various problems and the endless solutions to getting them sorted.

suzublu
19th January 2015, 21:04
My car sits outside all year round, never had any doors stick, lights on etc, no machine gunning boot, nothing :shrug: all your cars must be rubbish :getmecoat::D And....never changed a light bulb:eek::cool:

ProfDave
19th January 2015, 21:14
My car sits outside all year round, never had any doors stick, lights on etc, no machine gunning boot, nothing :shrug: all your cars must be rubbish :getmecoat::D And....never changed a light bulb:eek::cool:

must be all the wax and chrome repelling the ice

I will get outside with the dodo juice now!

johnnyb44
19th January 2015, 21:17
You've never needed to change a light bulb. That's surely got to be a world record in the Mg Rover motoring circles. :-):-)

suzublu
19th January 2015, 21:18
All LED, apart from the xenons ;):D

Mike Noc
20th January 2015, 09:18
Plenty of WD40

BUT

Remember to repeat the process with some lithium grease as WD40 is not the long term answer; it attracts water as well and that's no good for these situations :)

Can't see it attracting water. It was designed specifically to do the opposite - WD stands for Water Displacement.

wraymond
20th January 2015, 10:27
This happened on my car for the first time today. Also the 'lock' button behind the hazard button went into coma but all revived after 3 miles.

reworht
20th January 2015, 10:33

It's all that salt air at Seaton Carew - nowt much freezes up there - plus the radiation from Hartlepool Power Station helps too :D

Funnily enough - mine have never frozen up on 4 years - and we've has some substantial snow and ice in that time.