PDA

View Full Version : In The ....

FROGGY
20th January 2015, 12:23
Need the front bumper off. OK, No problem, just remove bolts and screws, yes? No.
Top bolts no problem, screws below, forget it.
So, something drastic is called for, but before I really lose my temper, how do I remove 9 or 10 cross-head screws that are welded into the bodywork, and I REALLY mean welded in?

Rissed off Mick

first-things-first
20th January 2015, 12:31
I feel your pain. Really hate that all manufacturers fit proxy Phillips head screws. Why the frack can't they fit hex heads. Not like they get the weather, eh! :duh:

I had to dremel off three of the nasties. Try cutting a slot in the head first and use a flat bladed bit in a socket wrench. Helped with 2 of them. Last one was completely rusted in and had to carefully dremel the head off.

If you take off the undertray, you might be able to get to clips via the inside of the bumper and cut it to pieces.

I have replaced all the screws and fixing with stainless hex bolts M6 and chimney clips.

Good luck.

Mike Noc
20th January 2015, 12:31
The screws are a pain as they have oval heads. I've shifted a couple of rusted ones by carefully filing two flats, one down each side, clamping them with a decent large mole wrench with it vertical, and then using a shifter or pair of swan necks on the mole wrench.

It has to be a good quality mole wrench though - the cheap ones just twist.

If you can get some Plus Gas or similar penetrating oil in that can help.

Greeners
20th January 2015, 12:35
Nooooooooo
Leave well alone, undo the under tray fixings and the two quarter panels....(3 self tappers in each)

Mike Noc
20th January 2015, 12:46
The screws for two quarter panels were the ones I was talking about David. ;)

Greeners
20th January 2015, 13:11
The screws for two quarter panels were the ones I was talking about David. ;)

I know mike........I never touch the under bumper ones, period.........

Saga Lout
20th January 2015, 14:22
Need the front bumper off. OK, No problem, just remove bolts and screws, yes? No.
Top bolts no problem, screws below, forget it.
So, something drastic is called for, but before I really lose my temper, how do I remove 9 or 10 cross-head screws that are welded into the bodywork, and I REALLY mean welded in?

Rissed off Mick
Get a bolt, put it on the head of the screws and hammer it, this will help loosen and shape the cross again, put the screwdriver in and hammer it tight. If that won't make them budge it's time to drill them, if you do drill them, just the head as it gives the grips some stud to work on.

FROGGY
20th January 2015, 15:05
Nooooooooo
Leave well alone, undo the under tray fixings and the two quarter panels....(3 self tappers in each)

OK David, but where do I find these pieces?
At the minute I feel like taking a lump hammer to the whole Mary Poppins car :mad::mad::mad:

klarzy
20th January 2015, 15:10
grind them off and replace them with M5 stainless chimney nuts and cap head screws... they will Never rust up again.. your bumper will come off in 10 mins if needed and your car will look more cared for.

Greeners
20th January 2015, 15:14
Mick

They are the 5 1/4 turn fasteners on the edge of the under tray

FROGGY
20th January 2015, 15:24
Mick

They are the 5 1/4 turn fasteners on the edge of the under tray

Thanks David.
Will look in the morning. It's too frosty to continue today.

Mick

FROGGY
22nd January 2015, 12:17
How do you know when senility has finally arrived?

When you spend half a day trying to remove screws that aren't actually screwed into anything, that's how.
The car hasn't got an undertray (how the hell didn't I notice that when I first started? :duh::duh::duh:), so the screws are only screwed into their well-rusted retaining clips.
Got the front off enough to sort the lights out, but still have 6 completely rusted Philips to shift the get the front off completely.
I am borrowing a neighbour's shotgun to do the job properly.

Mick

NewGuyPete
22nd January 2015, 15:09
HI Froggy,

I had the same problem, but it`s an easy fix, drill them out and fix with new Twist-Loc fixings.

first-things-first
22nd January 2015, 15:48
How do you know when senility has finally arrived?

When you spend half a day trying to remove screws that aren't actually screwed into anything, that's how.

Lol. I didn't even notice that the bumper screws into the plastic surround. Thought it was structural. When I took the bumper off I went the long way by taking the bumper bolts off rather than the undertray bolts as Greeners suggested. :getmecoat:

In my defence, It was the first time I had done this.

I also once tried to undo a large captive nut for a damper with an air gun. Wouldn't shift for some reason. :D

Coulsdon
22nd January 2015, 18:05
if you're replacing the undertray screws.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MG-ZT-ENGINE-UNDERTRAY-CLIPS-SPLASHGUARD-SHIELD-BOTTOM-COVER-FASTENER-/190882588344?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID

FROGGY
22nd January 2015, 18:38
if you're replacing the undertray screws.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MG-ZT-ENGINE-UNDERTRAY-CLIPS-SPLASHGUARD-SHIELD-BOTTOM-COVER-FASTENER-/190882588344?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID

Thanks for the link, but I need an undertray first. :D