PDA

View Full Version : Turbo gone?

27matt
20th January 2015, 20:29
Evening all,

I thought my next fix would be a simple one, but seems I may have a more pressing issue!

I think my turbo is on the way out. Noticed a strong smell oaf burning oil the other evening and a fair amount of smoke from the exhaust. It gets better once it has warmed up, but still not good.

Head gasket was changed a few thousand miles ago, it didn't fail in a major way but there was certainly coolant making its way through the oil system hence my turbo conclusion.

I've also noticed this evening the turbo seems to be whining a bit above about 3000rpm, this goes away once warm.

Any advice on diagnostics to ensure its definitely turbo?

Any recommendations for having it rebuilt would also be good, ideally in Hertfordshire.

Thanks!

SD1too
21st January 2015, 13:13
Any recommendations for having it rebuilt would also be good ...
Here you go (http://www.midlandturbo.com/) Matt.

Simon

James.uk
21st January 2015, 13:20
Have a look at it yourself Mat, it's only one air powered fan driving another innit.... :}

tezzer
21st January 2015, 15:02
Mine has just recently gone, so recent that i should be getting my zt back today due to turbo failure.. once id taken the old turbo out the turbine inside was flopping about all over the place. so getting a mechanic to put it all back together for me.. but the point im getting to was i got my refurbed turbo from midland turbos.. next day delivery service is great. good luck with it

Pistonbroke666
21st January 2015, 15:16
Mine has just recently gone, so recent that i should be getting my zt back today due to turbo failure.. once id taken the old turbo out the turbine inside was flopping about all over the place. so getting a mechanic to put it all back together for me.. but the point im getting to was i got my refurbed turbo from midland turbos.. next day delivery service is great. good luck with it

Out of interest, how much did a refurb cost?
I've a good condition turbo from a 70k 1.8T that I'm trying to gauge a mates rates price for hehe.

tezzer
21st January 2015, 16:02
Out of interest, how much did a refurb cost?
I've a good condition turbo from a 70k 1.8T that I'm trying to gauge a mates rates price for hehe.

£288 with 2 year warranty and gaskets kit.

Pistonbroke666
21st January 2015, 16:22
£288 with 2 year warranty and gaskets kit.

Cheers bud that's helpful.
I bought a complete good nick turbo engine for my tuning project but there's a fair few bits that are surplus to requirements so I'll be offloading them.

27matt
24th February 2015, 18:20
Sorry, really bad at following up on threads!

Rang up Midland Turbo and they had a turbo on the shelf, posted it out to me next day.

Spent a weekend struggling with rusted, rounded off nuts and bolts, but got everything swapped over eventually and running fine.

The turbo that came off the car was in an appalling state, never seen so much play in a bearing!

My only issue now is that when I bought the car is was averaging about 36mpg, after sorting the problems with the car I'm now getting 32!

Matt