PDA

View Full Version : Fan Constantly Running, is this right?

Rich27
23rd January 2015, 07:06
Ok, So the Mrs bought a diesel 75.
I did the usual service on it, oil and coolant.
THis morning she starts it and starts defrosting it.

Why is the Radiator fan on FULL blast?

The windscreen fans were turned down to their lowest setting as its pointless to have them up to max until the engine is warm, (the temp was set to high)

It never ran the fan last week when I did the fluids change.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

freddie
23rd January 2015, 07:14
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68336&highlight=gold+resister

Sounds like your resistor has packed in information here.

stocktake
23rd January 2015, 07:41
The diesel rarely needs its fan for cooling. it is however on whenever the A/C is running.
IIRC It will also run at full speed if the signal from the temp sensor is lost.

If the resistor fails and the A/C is running then you will have a situation where the rad fan pulses on full and off in 10 to 20 second cycles.

First thing to do is to start the car from cold ans make sure ECON is showing on the A/C display in the cab. Check the rad fan it should not be running.

SD1too
23rd January 2015, 08:42
THis morning she starts it and starts defrosting it.
Why is the Radiator fan on FULL blast?
Rich,

There may be nothing wrong here. Did the automatic air conditioning select 'defrost' mode (or was it selected manually) when the engine was started? If so, the air conditioning would be operating which requires the radiator fan to run. What you perceive as "full blast" may have been the slow speed. Some 2 speed systems are very noisy.
As has been said, if the fan cycles on and off then that's a different matter.

The windscreen fans were turned down to their lowest setting as its pointless to have them up to max until the engine is warm ..
When 'defrost' mode is selected the blower (windscreen fan) will automatically run at high speed. The reason for this is to provide dehumidification to clear the windscreen as quickly as possible. Manually selecting 'recirculation' mode will assist.

Simon

Rich27
23rd January 2015, 09:28
Thanks all .
It definitely was not pulsing .

I just started it up and scraped it clear for her (and drew a CDC on the rear window, I have just had an angry text message) so I will have a play with the internal controls.

I will post my finding here.

saxo1980
23rd January 2015, 09:42
might have the same problems as me the last person who had it prob ov took it to an local macanic and ****** it all up like mine is nowt works on mine i thought i was doing good taking it two me local place guess what the broke me rover 75 big time spend lots of money on repairs and no further fwd my one and only hope is bri coming to seem today with the t4 nowt going rite this year i rarther sit on an rock in iraq for an year and look at me rover 75 send me back in the army cos i cant cope out hear like out i touch crumbles spent over 1000 pound on repairs and the car is in worse shape then it started never ever listen to anyone apart from the people on hear cos the like gods on hear how the mighty has fallen and the fallen has rised to the top sounds good that lol

SD1too
23rd January 2015, 10:32
... i thought i was doing good taking it two me local place guess what the broke me rover 75 big time spend lots of money on repairs and no further fwd ...
:wot:
Yes Graham, sadly you are not the only one. At least you have learnt from your bad experience. Some people ask for the forum's advice, then say that they trust their garage 100%. :shrug:

You have done the right thing contacting Brian. He will sort it all out for you.

Simon

Rich27
26th January 2015, 12:32
OK, I have had a fiddle about, looks like the A/C was on.

On startup and the controls set to "Econ" everything was fine.

SD1too
26th January 2015, 18:30
Good. That was an easy fix then! :D

Simon