PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ebay Rotary Polisher please.

davediamond
15th May 2008, 23:12
Hi Guys

I've been looking at Polishing Machines for a while now and have come to the conclusion that I cannot justify the outlay on a DA (Megs/PC) £150 is just out of order for very infrequent use :eek:

So my options are twofold:

Attempt the removal of the swirls etc by hand :laughing2:

Or

Get a Rotary Machine like the one below:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc102/mgcrazy_2007/FORUM/d7_1.jpg
IT HAS A VARIABLE ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL
900 - 3000 RPM
1200w MOTOR

£55 ish delivered

I know that these things can damage the finish considerably if used incorrectly but I had a spell using a Mop back in my youth whilst working in a Garage/Paint Shop and achieved good results on fresh paintwork.

My question is....... if I get some practice in on an old panel, do you think this machine is a viable alternative to the DA? :shrug:

Thanks

Dave
:driving:

Tatts
15th May 2008, 23:22
From the piccy & your description, it looks ok and much cheaper than the Megs machine. You just need some more pads.

If your confident using a non-DA machine, that looks fine then!

Try it on an old panel first though!

deano78
16th May 2008, 08:24
thats the rotary i use. ditch the pads and get some meguiars ones. also try www.kingdomtools.co.uk theirs are cheaper. be extremely careful on plastics and thin paint. rotarys are quicker than a DA and the finish can be better, but as you say, practice on a scrap panel is a must, it only takes one slip up with a rotary and you can rip a door handle off.

WeeMan
16th May 2008, 11:18
:) Is a Rotary Polisher just like a grinder with a mop??, been looking myself.

deano78
16th May 2008, 11:57
same principal but with slower speeds. i dont wish to sound condisending (if thats the right word and it isnt even spelt correctly) but please please please be careful with rotarys, yes they are cheaper than a DA but they are no where near as user friendly. dont forget decent pads are about a tenner each, a cutting polish will be 15-20 quid and a finishing polish will be the same. I did a test at a detailing meet at christmas to highlight the dangers of a rotary in the wrong hands, it took less than 3 seconds to burn through the paint on a scrap panel when held stationary ( not that you would) but it just gives you an idea what damage can be done. Don;t forget to tape up as well, side indicators, door handles,leading panel edges, etc. if you catch them with the rotary you'll know about it. If the silverline polisher is the one you're going for get the orange one not the blue cheaper one as the orange had soft start function.

davediamond
18th May 2008, 21:54
Thanks for your replies

So I take it that the pads that come with it are pants? Has anyone used (or tried to use) these.

Cheers

Dave

trebor
19th May 2008, 05:55
i have not used these as i bought a Sonus UDM, but if considering new pads, then re consider which machine to buy as £55 + new pads will bring you to around £100, and for a machine which can do damage if not used properly.

The professional machines are orbital and therefore will take much longer to inflict nay damage, if you shop around, should get some free pads.

empsburna
19th May 2008, 07:27
If you do fancy going straight in with a rotary then go for that silverline orange.

deano78
19th May 2008, 08:00
Thanks for your replies

So I take it that the pads that come with it are pants? Has anyone used (or tried to use) these.

Cheers

Dave

i gave them a go as they were free, managed to do half a panel before i binned them.

empsburna
19th May 2008, 08:30
yeah, use once and dump jobbies! 3M pads I find are excellent with the metabo with a 3M backing plate.

davediamond
19th May 2008, 13:44
Cheers Peeps

I've had a search but can't seem to find any pads that I know will 'definitely' fit.:shrug:

Can anyone give me a link to the correct replacements?

Thanks

Dave

deano78
19th May 2008, 14:34
for pads
http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,86.html

and i would recommend a new backing plate, the ultra soft one on this page would be ideal, the one you get with the silverline is too big.