PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice required

Doublebassphil
13th February 2015, 14:05
Hi all,

What a great resource this forum is! I'm not particularly mechanically minded but I've really enjoyed viewing this forum for some time.:bowdown::bowdown:

As the title suggests I am new to rover 75 ownership. Had the car for 6 months or so and love it. It's great for moving my double bass! ;)
I have a 1.8 t tourer on a 54 plate. I'm a foster carer and the kids have named it 'Baxter':}

ive just had Baxter serviced and was advised That the fan is not working on speed one. I have read lots of threads suggesting a resister issue so guess I'll go down that road. However I've been offered a second hand fan (waiting for a price). I wonder if I should just change the resister or do I need a whole fan?

Ive also been told the water pump may be leaking, leak around powered steering unit, lower engine mount worn and split anti roll bar oh and bottom suspension arm is split.

So looks like a few jobs. I'd love to know if anyone recommends any garages to get the work done around Bournemouth area?

Thanks for reading and if you can offer me any advice I would be grateful.
Regards
Phil

suzublu
13th February 2015, 14:16
Hi & welcome, just replace the resistor with one from Jules, search his name in the "Traders" list, likewise, any spare parts you require, DMGRS also in the traders section does many at a very reasonable price, ;):} Enjoy your car & don't read all the negative stuff, :D Oh,& as you've a 1.8, check coolant level regularly, if you have a leak, it could lead to HGF

Doublebassphil
13th February 2015, 14:23
Thanks for the prompt reply suzublu. I shall heed your advice. :}

Doublebassphil
13th February 2015, 20:59
Bump

I'd be really interested to hear recommendations for garages or enthusiasts who like to get there hands dirty in the Bournemouth/Poole area?

lionatus
14th February 2015, 02:59
Bump

I'd be really interested to hear recommendations for garages or enthusiasts who like to get there hands dirty in the Bournemouth/Poole area?

Hi Phil and welcome. Im always getting dirty and that includes cleaning the car. New to the ZT but not new to Rovers. My wifes from Salisbury and wants a move back. Both daughters, our eldest son, and her family hail from there so once we get down I can help out. Saying that I visit the area at least a dozen times a year anyway. On a personal note musician? don't suppose you know an old rocker turned church deacon from Verwood called Mike Pitts do you?

Doublebassphil
14th February 2015, 08:29
Thanks lionatus. Salisbury is lovely, great place.

As for your rocker turned deacon, the name doesn't ring a bell but I did hear about some rocking vicars playing some gigs last year who did quite well, he may of been involved. :shrug:This was around the Verwood area.

Thanks again for the welcome and the offer. Hope the move goes well when it happens.:}