PDA

View Full Version : Tips/advice for cleaning alcantara?

Simon
18th May 2008, 21:40
Thanks to a combination of a motorway journey and a 3-year old who suddenly developed car-travel sickness I now have the pleasure of dealing with the aftermath.... The road-side clean up was bad enough. The word "covered" isn't sufficient enough to describe the state of the childs seat, her clothing and the rear seats of my car. Luckily for her she is washable as is the child seats fabrics alas my alcantara is less then machine-washable.

I'm happy to strip the rear bench to remove the seat coverings (in fact, I already have done to 'air' things off a little) but I'm in need of advice for the best methods to clean the seat coverings and the seat foam padding to remove all traces of my daughters breakfast... :puke: :(

empsburna
19th May 2008, 07:30
oh dear.

Get it nice and damp with a microfibre cloth (hot water would be best) then a nice mix of stardrops (4:1 concentration) sprayed on with a misting spray head, agitate and then wipe off the excess with a dry MF cloth.

Might take two or three attempts to get the smell out, but any stains will fall out.

Don't rub to hard and try to move the "pile" in one direction.

Simon
19th May 2008, 19:03
Thanks emps :)

What are stardrops? :shrug:

empsburna
19th May 2008, 19:29
An all purpose cleaner!

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0080402

Simon
20th May 2008, 18:11
Ahh... :twonk:

Gotchya. :)

empsburna
21st May 2008, 12:44
I would normally say get some before/after pictures, but not this time.... :)

Simon
23rd May 2008, 13:24
Just spent the last couple of hours meticulously cleaning the inside of the car. Started with a good hoover (and by gosh can kids get stuff everywhere) then followed by cleaning pretty much everything in sight with stardrops/water solution. This was then followed by another hoover.

Results so far seem to be very promising. I think I've just about removed all traces of yukiness from under the seat base as well as getting a few odd stains/marks out from the carpets and seat trims. I've just popped in for some lunch so will check back to see how things are after it's had a little while to dry off properly.

Some smell is still a little evident on the seats but I'm hoping that will either fade or it will be gone after a second wash.

All in all a good couple of hours spent. Just got to do the outside now... :rolleyes: :)