PDA

View Full Version : handbrake shoe replacement

danbax
9th March 2015, 15:41
hi all
hmm where do i start

lots of rust cant get 2 bolts out that hold the caliper, so managed to slide disc out and get access to handbrake shoes but while replacing new shoes the 2 smaller springs that hold the setup in place to the back wall(gaurd) behind has corroded away so theres nothing to hold spring pins in place. Im thinking maybe to replace these(not sure what its called) or just use maybe a penny washer behind to hold shoes in place

then i have the problem should this work of getting the disc on with the caliper still in place can I use the 2 allan key screws to loosen the caliper enough to slide disc back on#
thanks guys

Heddy
9th March 2015, 15:53
Have you tried a 1/2" ring spanner? It's a better fit than the 13mm one. If you can get it on, tap the spanner with a soft mallet to get the bolts loose. The hold down pins are a pain, replace with 6mm bolts with nyloc nuts, but not too tight. Hope this helps:}

DMGRS
9th March 2015, 18:32
I found the pins and springs were in terrible shape on my ZT-T.

I've since started stocking a pin and spring kit for the rear shoes on the 75/ZT - may be worth picking one up:
Pins and Springs Kit - Rear H/B Shoes (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/brake-discs-and-pads/products/r75-mg-zt-brake-shoe-fitting-kit-all-springs-and-pins)

It's a very handy kit to have when replacing your shoes. :)

On a side note, if your rear disc backplates are corroded you may have issues locating the pins - we also have these now too.
75/ZT Rear Brake Backplates (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/brake-discs-and-pads/products/r75-mg-zt-rear-brake-disc-shield-smf100200-smf100210)

danbax
11th March 2015, 12:45
hi all
hmm where do i start

lots of rust cant get 2 bolts out that hold the caliper, so managed to slide disc out and get access to handbrake shoes but while replacing new shoes the 2 smaller springs that hold the setup in place to the back wall(gaurd) behind has corroded away so theres nothing to hold spring pins in place. Im thinking maybe to replace these(not sure what its called) or just use maybe a penny washer behind to hold shoes in place

then i have the problem should this work of getting the disc on with the caliper still in place can I use the 2 allan key screws to loosen the caliper enough to slide disc back on#
thanks guys

ok thanks for the help..
managed to get the hub and back in without having to remove caliper
handbrake is now working somewhat not efficiently but probably enough to get the mot
#
#now to the waxoil :S rather rusted undercarraige

wuzerk
11th March 2015, 13:11
The handbrake efficiency needed for the MOT is less than 20% as it is not classified as an 'emergency' brake just a parking brake due to the fact that the hydraulics are split diagonally.