PDA

View Full Version : How to dismantle MK2 Projector Headlight

daznkel
9th March 2015, 21:28
I am part way through refurbing a set of MK2 Projector headlights that I am planning a project on.
I have got the lens of and polished it up nice, but for the life of me, cant see how the silver reflective part of the headlight comes apart from the black (back part)

Anyone done this before?

How does the thing come apart?

Pic;
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af59/daznkel/20150309_221513_zpstcxjendl.jpg

klarzy
9th March 2015, 21:37
Fingers behind the top and pull.

T-Cut
9th March 2015, 21:46
The reflector is mounted at three points so it can be precisely aimed. There's two ball/socket mounts at the top (centre and outer corner) and a bayonet attachment to the beam height motor arm bottom centre. The bayonet clip must be released first using thin nosed pliers to hold the lugs. Turn 90 degrees to clear the slots. That done, the upper mounting can be judiciously pulled apart. The sockets come off with the reflector. The balls stay with the case and are on the end of threaded spindles attached to the blue adjuster sprockets. I can post photos if needed.

TC

daznkel
9th March 2015, 23:21
Thanks gents. Swiftly taken apart, thanks to your advice. :bowdown:

One further question, does anyone know if a COB Led angel eye ring will throw a CANbus error when wired to the sidelights on my 04 ZT CDTi?

If so, can I 'fool' the bus into thinking all is ok by wiring a resistor in parallel? Or if I use a DRL controller, such as THIS (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360994863499) will this negate the need for front sidelights?

klarzy
10th March 2015, 05:57
Best to buy can bus compliment LEDs.

T-Cut
10th March 2015, 08:34
You should always use a relay for controlling DRLs. They should go out when other lights come on. The relay won't upset the CANbus.

TC

Spôôk
10th March 2015, 12:39
A member on here made a very instructive How-To (can't remember who:D)

http://www.cbi.dk/images/div/HOW%20TO%20Convert%20Xenon%20RHD%20to%20LHD.pdf

I am part way through refurbing a set of MK2 Projector headlights that I am planning a project on.
I have got the lens of and polished it up nice, but for the life of me, cant see how the silver reflective part of the headlight comes apart from the black (back part)

Anyone done this before?

How does the thing come apart?

klarzy
10th March 2015, 15:28
If they are fitted as side lights then no relay should be needed, iff seperate DRL's then they can be rigged to dim 50% on side light activation

T-Cut
10th March 2015, 17:59
All I know about it: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

TC

klarzy
10th March 2015, 18:11
All I know about it: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

TC

which is why I wire mine as side lights... they come on when side lights are switched on, do not obscure other lights and are white, all of which my MOT man says is A - OK...

T-Cut
10th March 2015, 18:37
Oh I see, you mean instead of the 5w bulb. You manually switch them on as DRLs or sidelights.

klarzy
10th March 2015, 18:39
Oh I see, you mean instead of the 5w bulb. You manually switch them on as DRLs or sidelights.

I have just made a set up where you can have the 5w and the halo's or just the 5w bulb

If the MOT rules change or you have a stubborn S.O.A.B you can turn them off...

danbmx_69
11th March 2015, 05:42
Take a look though my thred I have installed angel eye's and had no canbus problem's will the type I have used

daznkel
11th March 2015, 10:32
Take a look though my thred I have installed angel eye's and had no canbus problem's will the type I have used

Dan, I have followed your thread from the very beginning and the headlight project has been very much inspired by your posts. :D Exept I am using standard projectors.
Similar to yourself I have switchback drl strips which i will combine with a pair of 80mm COB angel eyes in each headlight. I was planning to use the strips and rings as drl's, with the strip changing to amber for the indicators and dimming the rings by 50%, when they do so.
As for the headlights, I have an HID kit fitted which when on, will dim the strip and rings 50%.

I will certainly have another read over the relevant part of your thread and if I have any further questions PM you.

Cheers. :D

danbmx_69
11th March 2015, 12:25
Dan, I have followed your thread from the very beginning and the headlight project has been very much inspired by your posts. :D Exept I am using standard projectors.
Similar to yourself I have switchback drl strips which i will combine with a pair of 80mm COB angel eyes in each headlight. I was planning to use the strips and rings as drl's, with the strip changing to amber for the indicators and dimming the rings by 50%, when they do so.
As for the headlights, I have an HID kit fitted which when on, will dim the strip and rings 50%.

I will certainly have another read over the relevant part of your thread and if I have any further questions PM you.

Cheers. :D
I like the sound of dimming the angel eye's and DRLs and it's something I didn't consider, i will be watching with intrest