PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft possibly?

freewheeler
10th March 2015, 08:01
Hiya all, not posted in a while, haven't had the need to but this morning I jumped in the car to set off for work and shock, horror, theres a knocking coming from the car when I move forward. It is in time with the wheel turning but doesn't happen when I reverse. To me it seems like the offside driveshaft, any help gratefully received.
Cheers, Dave

planenut
10th March 2015, 08:27
any chance you can jack the front up then run it in gear and hear if the noise is clear then?

T-Cut
10th March 2015, 08:30
Drive in a circle, very slowly on full lock left, then right. A failing CVJ will give itself away.

TC

freewheeler
10th March 2015, 08:38
Thanks for the replies guys.Not able to jack it up due to where its parked and I haven't tried the full lock driving because the noise is there straight away when setting off in drive. It's a fairly hefty clunk clunk clunk in time with the speed of the car, only driven about 20 yards then parked it up again. I've got a guy that can look at it but he's 20 mile away and I'm loathe to drive it in case its not what I think and further damage is caused, although I can't think what else it could be.

freewheeler
10th March 2015, 09:59
Further to the knocking saga, I've just brought the car outside the house to enable jacking it up and the knocking has stopped and been replaced by a constant grating sound similar to metal to metal brake noise but louder, a bearing perhaps?

Mike Noc
10th March 2015, 10:20
As mentioned jack it up, and rotate each wheel in turn. There is an outrigger bearing on the offside driveshaft - worth checking that too.

T-Cut
10th March 2015, 11:27
Are the brake pads worn through?

TC

oldcarguy
10th March 2015, 12:15
Maybe a broken spring, they seem to go whilst sitting overnight.

freewheeler
10th March 2015, 12:26
Oldcarguy is correct, I've had it up in the air and the spring is re-cutting my tyre, ploughing quite a groove. So not as bad as first thought. Cheers for the help and ideas guys.
Dave

planenut
10th March 2015, 12:36
Quick discovery, not so bad, thanks for letting us know. Good luck.

COLVERT
10th March 2015, 14:51
Oldcarguy is correct, I've had it up in the air and the spring is re-cutting my tyre, ploughing quite a groove. So not as bad as first thought. Cheers for the help and ideas guys.
Dave

A bit bad though cos you'll probably have to buy a new tyre. The side walls are very thin and can't really take any sort of groove at all.:eek: