PDA

View Full Version : jatco reverse clutch pressure tap

debo
10th March 2015, 10:53
could any body please tell me the location and thread size of the reverse clutch pressure tap so i can test the pressure to find out if my reverse piston is cracked without stripping it down thanks shaun

SD1too
10th March 2015, 11:57
Shaun; if you don't mind sending me a PM with an e-mail address, I will scan the page from the JF506E manual for you.

Who have you been speaking to? I've never heard of this being asked before. :D

Simon

debo
10th March 2015, 12:37
rrobson replyed in my other thread "Yes, you can test the reverse piston. You need a pressure tester. I have one but I'm not going to be home for a number of weeks so wouldn't be able to get it to you."
so i have made one up myself its just i dont know what size thread i need to screw into the gearbox and what pressures are required

rrobson
10th March 2015, 12:38
M10 metric fine

debo
10th March 2015, 12:40
nice one i will see if we have one in stock thanks

SD1too
11th March 2015, 07:11
PM received and document sent to your e-mail address Shaun. :}

Simon

debo
11th March 2015, 07:33
thanks mate i have also done what you asked in the email :}

debo
12th March 2015, 19:59
Hi I have just done a pressure test on my gearbox useing the reverse clutch tap and got 0psi in drive closed throttle, 0psi in drive at stall and 100psi in reverse closed throttle please could anybody tell me if this is ok or is it any signs of failure any help would be much appreciated thanks debo

SD1too
12th March 2015, 20:31
Hi Shaun,

Well, the extract from the manual which I sent you says:

"Use the reverse clutch tap when testing in the 'R' range position"

So I take that to mean that you can ignore the test results you obtained in Drive.

The pressures given for 'R' range are 80 - 109 psi at idle. You got 100 psi with the throttle closed which is the same as idle, so I'd say that your gearbox is within the specification for the reverse clutch.

Simon

andrewinpopayan
12th March 2015, 21:38
How many tapping points are there on these boxes? I used to work on Leyland buses and there were 3 tapping points and a 3 gauge test set.

SD1too
12th March 2015, 23:00
How many tapping points are there on these boxes?
As far as I can tell from the manual Andrew, there appear to be five.

Simon

rrobson
13th March 2015, 00:23
Only two on our cars, and the other transaxle variants. However all the ports are on both varients

debo
13th March 2015, 06:04
What is the other tap used to test on these gearboxes thanks

SD1too
13th March 2015, 07:42
Only two on our cars, and the other transaxle variants. However all the ports are on both varients
OK Reece, thanks for that. I understand when you say that there are only two on the MGR version of the gearbox, and I would also like to know which two.

But what do you mean by "all the ports are on both variants"? You've just said that we have only two. :confused: :shrug:

Simon

rrobson
13th March 2015, 13:23
Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing.

Acording to the manual, there are only two ports which can be used on the transaxle varient. The one on the side for the reverse piston and one on the top for all forward speeds.

But for some reason on the other varients, you use about 4 or 5 ports.

What I meant is on the gearbox there are at least 10 plugs, no matter what car it's in, but you only use two on our cars.