PDA

View Full Version : Strange fuel issues on my CDTi

RichB
10th March 2015, 11:38
Got a bit of a strange fuel related problem on my ZT-T CDTi.

Under bonnet pump failed end of last year and was replaced by a used but good working one which was double checked on T4 by Marinabrian. All injectors seemed to be in good shape according to the T4. In tank pump had also failed so made sure I never let the diesel level drop below ¼ of a tank.

I replaced the in tank pump about a month ago. I’d run the tank down to about ¼ so I didn’t have too much diesel to splash about in when I changed the pump. Anyway, all seemed well and I did a few more miles and the low fuel light came on and then shortly after, the car broke down whilst driving up a hill. The gauge was showing 1/8 tank and the trip computer was showing a range of 40 miles left. I thought my low tank problems should have been cured with the new in-tank pump, I have previously been able to run the tank to more or less empty.

AA came and put 10L of diesel in it but it still wouldn’t fire, but would on easy-start. Anyway, after loads more cranking and whilst the AA man was testing the injectors were firing, I heard a marked change in the under bonnet pump sound and the car fired up, I then drove home OK and was fine again for about 1000 miles.

This week I let the fuel drop below ¼ again as I intended pulling the in tank pump out to see if I’d done something wrong. On the way home last night the fuel light came on. By the time I got home, the gauge was reading 1/8 tank, however, when I got out of the car I could hear a gurgling/swooshing sound like fuel running through pipes or back into the tank. Then this morning it wouldn’t fire straight away like it normally does, so didn’t try too much and immediately put 5L into the tank from a can. Tried again and after about 10 seconds of cranking it fired up.

So what’s happening with my fuel? It sounded like the fuel line emptied itself when I got home last night and then needed the tank topping up before it would draw fuel again. I suspect it’s an issue with the in tank pump, but what could I have done wrong to cause these symptoms? I've done two of these before so thought I knew what I was doing! Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rich

klarzy
10th March 2015, 11:41
Got a bit of a strange fuel related problem on my ZT-T CDTi.

Under bonnet pump failed end of last year and was replaced by a used but good working one which was double checked on T4 by Marinabrian. All injectors seemed to be in good shape according to the T4. In tank pump had also failed so made sure I never let the diesel level drop below ¼ of a tank.

I replaced the in tank pump about a month ago. I’d run the tank down to about ¼ so I didn’t have too much diesel to splash about in when I changed the pump. Anyway, all seemed well and I did a few more miles and the low fuel light came on and then shortly after, the car broke down whilst driving up a hill. The gauge was showing 1/8 tank and the trip computer was showing a range of 40 miles left. I thought my low tank problems should have been cured with the new in-tank pump, I have previously been able to run the tank to more or less empty.

AA came and put 10L of diesel in it but it still wouldn’t fire, but would on easy-start. Anyway, after loads more cranking and whilst the AA man was testing the injectors were firing, I heard a marked change in the under bonnet pump sound and the car fired up, I then drove home OK and was fine again for about 1000 miles.

This week I let the fuel drop below ¼ again as I intended pulling the in tank pump out to see if I’d done something wrong. On the way home last night the fuel light came on. By the time I got home, the gauge was reading 1/8 tank, however, when I got out of the car I could hear a gurgling/swooshing sound like fuel running through pipes or back into the tank. Then this morning it wouldn’t fire straight away like it normally does, so didn’t try too much and immediately put 5L into the tank from a can. Tried again and after about 10 seconds of cranking it fired up.

So what’s happening with my fuel? It sounded like the fuel line emptied itself when I got home last night and then needed the tank topping up before it would draw fuel again. I suspect it’s an issue with the in tank pump, but what could I have done wrong to cause these symptoms? I've done two of these before so thought I knew what I was doing! Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rich

Is the tank venting properly?
have yor reassembled the float in the ITP properly as i have read it is easy to make a mistake and get wrong readings.

HarryM1BYT
10th March 2015, 11:57
The range display, fuel gauge and warning light are all dependent on the float arm and its setting, which is easily disturbed when fitting a new pump. So that would be my primary suspect.

The fuel supply system is quite complex and though I have never run out, I would image it needs a bit of time to be allowed for the air to be bled out, before it will start. I also suspect it would need more than a gallon.

RichB
10th March 2015, 12:58
I'll certainly check the float, but the movement of the needle seems as before and the amount put it at refuelling seems consistent.

Checking the tank Benton is an interesting one Klarzy, it certainly sounded like fuel was rushing back into the tank last night as if it was under vacuum?

Cheers,
Rich