PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper playing up

Johnny2R
10th March 2015, 20:20
My rear windscreen wiper (I have a Tourer) has suddenly started behaving oddly. I can't get it to come on on demand and run steadily, but it will do a couple of wipes automatically when my fornt wipers are on and I reverse, but then the wiper stops in the middle of the window. What could this be? Doesn't seem like a problem with the motor, more like the control electronics. (Oh, and before any says, plenum as dry as a bone and regularly checked :) ).

KRISTLEE
10th March 2015, 20:29
Hi,

I had very similar problems with mine last year. Tried WD40 etc on the mechanism to loosen it up etc but in the end it was the motor that had to be changed out and it has been working fine ever since....well it was two months ago the last time I drove my ZT-T lol.

Best Regards,

Kristlee.

Ennine
10th March 2015, 21:02
Open the rear glass section. You should be able to swipe the wiper (by hand) easily with very little resistance. If it feels very stiff then the shaft needs a total clean out. Remove the wiper and shaft from the rear glass, clean thoroughly, lubricate and replace.

Nige

Johnny2R
11th March 2015, 13:41
I had very similar problems with mine last year. Tried WD40 etc on the mechanism to loosen it up etc but in the end it was the motor that had to be changed out and it has been working fine ever since....well it was two months ago the last time I drove my ZT-T lol.

What kind of job/expense is changing the motor?

Johnny2R
11th March 2015, 13:43
Open the rear glass section. You should be able to swipe the wiper (by hand) easily with very little resistance. If it feels very stiff then the shaft needs a total clean out. Remove the wiper and shaft from the rear glass, clean thoroughly, lubricate and replace.

At the risk of appearing completely stupid, what is the shaft in this context?

andrewinpopayan
11th March 2015, 14:25
The shaft is the bit that goes through the glass, it's a steel shaft running thru an aluminium sleeve, they seem to enjoy seizing solid :D

Johnny2R
11th March 2015, 14:31
The shaft is the bit that goes through the glass, it's a steel shaft running thru an aluminium sleeve, they seem to enjoy seizing solid :D

Thanks. I'm sure I in fact succeeded in appearing completely stupid :). Ill check this out.

Ennine
11th March 2015, 17:59
They have a great habit of sticking bang in the centre of the screen. Not a big job but worth doing the stripdown. Had to do mine last year and my boy's ZTT did the same a month back. It should only take around half hour or so to do.

Nige

KRISTLEE
12th March 2015, 04:06
What kind of job/expense is changing the motor?

Apologies for the late reply as I`m working nights offshore and our internet connection ain`t the best....I bought a used motor off a trader here for about 25quid (that included delivery and also a drivers door central locking motor too so will be bit cheaper just for the wiper motor)...pretty cheap and took about 20 min to change out.

Forgot to mention, I bought the items from Seancar but Holland314 might be able to sort you out if Sean can`t so maybe send them a PM mate.

Johnny2R
12th March 2015, 12:17
Well, looks as if I've got it going again by the lazy, easy solution of a good squirt of WD40 into the relevant area! So it looks like it was just seized up. I'll see how that goes. If it continues to play up, I'll do a rather more thorough job, but the good news is that it doesn't look like it's the motor for now.

Ennine
12th March 2015, 15:17
Well, looks as if I've got it going again by the lazy, easy solution of a good squirt of WD40 into the relevant area! So it looks like it was just seized up. I'll see how that goes. If it continues to play up, I'll do a rather more thorough job, but the good news is that it doesn't look like it's the motor for now.
Bear in mind that a stiff mechanism will cause greater strain on the motor, causing it to overheat and eventually fail.

Nige

Johnny2R
12th March 2015, 15:54
Bear in mind that a stiff mechanism will cause greater strain on the motor, causing it to overheat and eventually fail.

Good point. If I can work out how to take the thing apart, I'll do so and clean it properly.

KRISTLEE
13th March 2015, 18:52

Nice one mate, hopefully you can just forget about it now.

LEIGH44
28th January 2016, 14:32
[QUOTE=Ennine;1944294]Open the rear glass section. You should be able to swipe the wiper (by hand) easily with very little resistance. If it feels very stiff then the shaft needs a total clean out. Remove the wiper and shaft from the rear glass, clean thoroughly, lubricate and replace.

Nige[/QUO Hi N. my rear glass is jammed shut, wiper wont move by hand so cant open window ,do i need to get to both front and back of window to do this, so wil i have to take off inner trim panel, or is it all fixed from the outside glass,in other words nothing falls through other side. thnks roy.