PDA

View Full Version : Sun Roof Problem

Rev Jules
11th March 2015, 07:18
I know the sunroof has been muted on here in recent times, but is it possible to rod the drains without having to strip half the car out in the process of doing so, as I don't feel confident in doing what people have suggested in the past.

Many Thanks

Julien

Evansabove
11th March 2015, 09:56
Julien, I am worried about the same thing, i.e. stripping the car interior and I wondered whether it is possible to remove (or bend back) the wheel arch liner and see the outlet of the pipe and whether it is blocked. Then I would gently probe the blockage from there.

Just a thought and could save a lot of hassle.

I know Arctic did a really comprehensive "How To " on this , but it is still daunting.

Good luck.

John

KWIL
11th March 2015, 10:21
The problem is that as the pipe goes though the bulkhead into the wheel arch, it is not all in a straight line, so rodding end to end is a problem.

Could you not acces the pipe from the footwell? I do think (but do not know) that the pipe route is reasonably "straight" as least as as far as a flexible rod would be (soft plastic not wire, wires are pokey and push through rubber tubes:devil:

klarzy
11th March 2015, 11:42
2 meters of curtain wire does the job nicely....

trebor
11th March 2015, 11:48
As said the pipe is bent along the way so its difficult to do as you suggest,plus the pipe is in 2 parts, roof to top of footwell, and footwell to bulkhead, and because it was only taped by MGR, when you rod it from the top or bottom you stand a chance of separating the 2 pipes, certainly on withdrawing the rod.

You will never be sure if you have completely cured the problem or not and water in the footwell can be a pain in the neck.

Follow Steve's "how to" and be sure, it is not a difficult fix you just need some agility to poke around in the top of the footwell

alanjay
11th March 2015, 19:45

Same here and if you twirl the curtain wire whilst rodding, very little chance of damaging the flimsy joint in the drain tubes.

Sometimes the simple solutions are both the cheapest and most effective ways of solving a problem.

Rev Jules
11th March 2015, 20:07

All well and good but how do you do the back ones is that by feel and take pot luck you have found the hole???

Julien

klarzy
11th March 2015, 20:08
All well and good but how do you do the back ones is that by feel and take pot luck you have found the hole???

Julien

nope, I take the glass out and clean the rear properly, then do them..;)

or you can come in from the bottom... oo-eeerr

Gemsathome
11th March 2015, 20:17

Julien

Julien, I thought you had gone off subject there, referring to that gentlemens club on the Bath Road in Colnbrook!! :getmecoat:

Rev Jules
12th March 2015, 08:34
Julien, I thought you had gone off subject there, referring to that gentlemens club on the Bath Road in Colnbrook!! :getmecoat:

OY!! I don't know any thing about those sort of things, obviously you are in the know, WHATS THEIR TELEPHONE NUMBER!!!!!