PDA

View Full Version : Need the shim by head gasket repl.?

Bam
11th March 2015, 17:23
It's not for my 75 but it's for my 1.4 MG ZR (2005), it's a K serie so i think there must be some knowledge here.

The problem it it's using water 1 liter per 600 miles and I do not know if ot's the waterpump the inlet gasket or a hgf. But the mileage is 80.000 mile and it has the original head gasket so i'll replace the water pump distribution belt and head gasket + bolts.
The engine has never been hot so I assume the head is straight, but when I install the MLS gasket do I need to install the head gasket shim if the head is straight?

DMGRS
12th March 2015, 00:16
You don't need to use the shim - this is for if the head has been skimmed.

Don't fit the MLS gasket until you have checked the liners - if they're 3 thou or above proud of the block and all the same height, you can use the MLS.
If they're lower than this or uneven, you MUST use the Payen BW750 gasket.

In all honesty your problem could well be the waterpump or another part of the cooling system - a failure on a K4 with the original gasket usually results in a lot of 'mayonnaise' in the cooling system and oil.

Try checking out the following:
Cambelt Kit - Late K Series - Including Waterpump (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/cambelt-timing-belt-kits/products/late-k-series-timing-belt-cambelt-kit-inc-water-pump-99-06-auto-tensioner)
Coolant Leak Repair Kit - K Series - 25 / 45 / ZR / ZS (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/thermostats-and-waterpumps/products/k-series-25-45-zr-zs-coolant-loss-repair-kit-coolant-cap-inlet-gasket-and-thermostat-seals)

I don't think your issue is the head gasket. :)

Bam
12th March 2015, 03:41
I thought better safe than sorry, replace the whole lot.
The 2005 head gasket will fail anyway in the near future.
Or is this a strange thought?

Doc Evil
12th March 2015, 04:36
Hi
As Mat say you must check before deciding on gasket if the liners are flush or lower than three thou use the latest blue payen gasket which is available from the Gentleman above
if there's any sign of porosity or fire ring indentation you need to use a shim
And change the stat at the same time if it's original it will be past it's best

Doc

sworks
12th March 2015, 06:00
If you fit the head saver shim and the head hasn't been skimmed then you need to be carefull when refitting the two 8mm bolts behind the cam pulleys ;)

Bam
12th March 2015, 18:06
Thanks, Ill think Ill order the MLS one by Mat (DMGRS).
I need some more parts for my 75 so Ill make a shopping list first.
It will be a gamble to choose between the gaskets but Ill go for the MLS.

Doc Evil
12th March 2015, 19:26
You can fit the mls gasket if the liners are low or flush but you will be doing it again in a short space of time
Doc

Saga Lout
12th March 2015, 19:34
I'm doing a replacement head gasket on a 1.8t 75 at the moment, it was skimmed and fitted with an MLS gasket, it didn't make 1000 miles before blowing. I'm using the Payen one, I've done 11,000 miles on my own car after fitting Payen last year. I'd say don't listen to the motor factors or the know it all people, fit what is best, measure the liners with a steel ruler across the block and go with what that tells you.

Bam
12th March 2015, 19:43
Ok I did not thought that it would make that big deal.
Ill measure the liners, the problem is I don't know what the delivery time is from DMGRS to the Netherlands:shrug:

beinet1
13th March 2015, 06:03
I'm doing a replacement head gasket on a 1.8t 75 at the moment, it was skimmed and fitted with an MLS gasket, it didn't make 1000 miles before blowing. I'm using the Payen one, I've done 11,000 miles on my own car after fitting Payen last year. I'd say don't listen to the motor factors or the know it all people, fit what is best, measure the liners with a steel ruler across the block and go with what that tells you.

Did you fit Payen MLS or Payen SLS(elastomer)?

Saga Lout
13th March 2015, 14:44
Did you fit Payen MLS or Payen SLS(elastomer)?
I fitted the elastomer and it's been great. I hope you are well and planning to visit again this year.