PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the Finisher-A post upper

maxxpump
11th March 2015, 18:21
Hello all, just wanting to ask this again but with different wording of terminology. I imagine someone mst of removed the "A" post upper Finisher someone must of removed this bit of trim before, to trace cables, either for footwell lighting mods (i've looked there, but it doesn't tell you on the guides how to take it off) or aerial fitting.

I have a active glass aerial to install, will be attached a slight bit down from the top of the passenger side front windscreen.
looks like this....

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemImages/Large/EMB101400SCD.jpg

I need to get into there to a.) connect the earth strip on the DAB aerial to the metal on the post and b.) to feed the cabling down through the bottom through the dash so I connect power to the stereo as well as the smb connector. I know this is technically I.C.E related but as its over trim removal, I thought I would ask here!

Here is another image from the outside:

http://s3.postimg.org/3srlcq1cz/GRID001846.gif

I know it sounds a silly question, but as the airbag is attached to the whole cover via straps (to stay attached during airbag deployment), I don't want to either damage the airbag, that could cost £70 (rimmers) or maybe change its operation accidentally by disturbing the mountings or the position of the sensor; I presume there is a sensor in that pillar.

Is there any risk or am i being too over cautious about this?

I know that the SRS system needs discharging for half an hour before the work commences (so I know im alright in that respect), but I don't know how to go about getting the cover off.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Doc Evil
11th March 2015, 19:20
Hi it's not that delicate remove the airbag fuse and wait half hour prior to work on any airbag related items then carefully prise away from the top of pillar first, refitting is the reverse of removal as they say

Doc

oldcarguy
11th March 2015, 19:24
If you remove the door seal will there be enough room to slide the wire behind the trim? I was thinking about doing that to run a dashcam wire. Obviously if your going to play with anything connected to air bags disconnect the battery for 30mins beforehand.

Doc Evil
11th March 2015, 19:36
If you remove the door seal will there be enough room to slide the wire behind the trim? I was thinking about doing that to run a dashcam wire. Obviously if your going to play with anything connected to air bags disconnect the battery for 30mins beforehand.

Disconnecting the battery will of course work but you need your radio code and turn off sat navigation properly first also it will reset your ecu so all it has learnt about your driving style will be lost, easier method is to pull the fuse

Doc

johnnybbad
11th March 2015, 19:46
You wont need to disconnect any airbag stuff, as the airbag is attached to the A pillar not the A pillar trim

Doc Evil
11th March 2015, 20:51
You wont need to disconnect any airbag stuff, as the airbag is attached to the A pillar not the A pillar trim

Always best to disconnect power if routing wires next to or around airbags they are after all a type of explosives it's good engineering practice and it's always handy to keep all your digits
Doc