PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key insertion problem

Roderick
13th March 2015, 14:09
Hi all. A problem that came up today with the 75 is that the key blade has suddenly become extremely difficult to insert in the ignition. It has worked perfectly before. It does not want to engage resulting in me getting out the car and jiggling it at a straight angle. The key tip is not damaged. A wipe with WD40 did not help. I can’t try the spare key as someone else has it at the moment (!)
Has any one had the same problem? Is it possible to get a replacement barrel? or would new blades be all that’s needed? What about key matching and other door locks? Is it expensive?
Any info welcome before it won’t go in at all!

Doc Evil
13th March 2015, 14:34
Best not to lubricant the lock with WD40 instead use graphite a 2B or 4B pencil rubbed over the key to deposit the graphite then insert and operate the lock, you may need to do this several times to fully lubricant it.
If this doesn't work it is likely that the barrel is faulty and I think you know the answer to the cost of lock replacement car wide :eek::eek::eek::eek:
One of the Traders on here may be able to supply a full lock set at reasonable cost you can still use your immobiliser chips but it will be a real pain to do the three lock swap
Has your car covered a high mileage
Doc

Roderick
13th March 2015, 14:45
Pencil graphite is a good idea. I'll give it a go. I have read the graphite lock lube can help. Asked today but couldn't anywhere selling it. Besides, once the key goes in, it's OK (and comes out cleanly too). The car has done 103,500mls and the key has worked fine up until now:shrug:

Doc Evil
13th March 2015, 15:05
No need for expensive graphite lube pencil has worked for me for years
103k is not excessive and the locks are fairly robust
Hope the pencil trick works for you
Doc

Roderick
13th March 2015, 18:52
Thank you Doc Evil! The humble pencil worked perfectly! Best advice I've had all day. Key slid in without hesitation, quite unbelievable and a big relief. Thanks again. Ray:D

Doc Evil
14th March 2015, 06:34
Glad to help been using that trick for years
You can now pass the knowledge on to anyone with similar stiff lock problems and I can go back to my pencil factory (I wish):getmecoat:
Doc

ChestersDad
14th March 2015, 09:01
Look into the lock with strong light source before you push key in (when yr having difficulty) and see if you can see a white plastic element hanging down interferring with key insertion ' it will eventually move back up out of the way....I don't think this is one of the tumblers but more likey a key guide but on a friends who was having the same problem this is what I saw on his...
Similarly there is another thread somewhere (recently) and it seems that if this might require a lock replacement through gradual failure....:eek:

Can anyone find the thread and outcome :shrug:

KWIL
14th March 2015, 10:25
Only use a graphite not oily lube, oil collects all the crud and WILL ruin a lock barrel

roverbarmy
14th March 2015, 13:41
I bought some of this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-K-Graphite-Powder-Lock-Lubricant-Cylinder-Car-Padlock-K30050-50g-/131434722694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9a1eb586) and use it on all my locks. Be careful not to spray it all over your interior. The "puffer" action should only be used when inserted into the lock and even then be ready for "blowback"!

Works a treat.
Mike