PDA

View Full Version : ABS light on, how to proceed?

Mangizmo
13th March 2015, 16:05
My ABS light is on, I am suspecting a sensor has gone down somewhere, whats the best way to proceed to fix this?, is it an MOT failure? 75 Diesel 53 plate (2000)
Thanks V

mh007
13th March 2015, 16:10
Firstly, yes it is an MOT failure I'm afraid.

Has the speedo also stopped working ? - Drivers side front fault

If you have cruise control, has this stopped working - Passengers side front fault

If the above is still working, the chances are, it's a fault on the rear.

Are you able to have the system scanned for fault codes ?

Mangizmo
13th March 2015, 16:14
[QUOTE=mh007;1946941]Firstly, yes it is an MOT failure I'm afraid.

Has the speedo also stopped working ? - Drivers side front fault

No Speedo still working fine

If you have cruise control, has this stopped working - Passengers side front fault

I have no C.C fitted

If the above is still working, the chances are, it's a fault on the rear.

Are you able to have the system scanned for fault codes ?

Not able to have scanned, is it easy to buy a scanner?

Thanks for a very helpful answer

Salad-Dodger
13th March 2015, 16:19
Have a go on ebay. put U480 into the search. Good luck. Steve

Mangizmo
13th March 2015, 16:24
Have a go on ebay. put U480 into the search. Good luck. Steve

Thanks, I have found one they are quite cheap, Is it possible to plug in a new sensor without mounting it, start the car and see if the light goes out to see which one is faulty, would that work?

Salad-Dodger
13th March 2015, 17:08
Best just to plug the reader into the car and read the codes. The connection is under the dash on the driver side down on the right above the pedals.
When you have the codes, identify them and do whatever repairs, delete the codes and go for a drive, then plug the reader in again if the light stays on to go though it all again.
There's a lot of people on here that will help you so plug it up.
Cheers. Steve

Mangizmo
13th March 2015, 17:22
Best just to plug the reader into the car and read the codes. The connection is under the dash on the driver side down on the right above the pedals.
When you have the codes, identify them and do whatever repairs, delete the codes and go for a drive, then plug the reader in again if the light stays on to go though it all again.
There's a lot of people on here that will help you so plug it up.
Cheers. Steve

Thanks Steve, I have a 2000 (53 plate) 75, will the reader work?, I am just about to order one

Salad-Dodger
13th March 2015, 17:49
Well a reader is a good investment really. Best thing to do is to make a note of the codes and then delete them. Then go for a drive and plug it in again. That way, if there are any stray codes left over from a previous problem they won't get in the way.
When you have the "fresh" codes, put them on here and go from there.
Good luck. Steve

SD1too
13th March 2015, 18:30
I have no C.C fitted
Hello Vaughan,

The front ABS sensor leads have a habit of releasing themselves from the retaining bracket on the suspension strut. The cable then makes contact with the tyre when the steering is on full lock. The resulting damage illuminates the ABS warning light. So I'd recommend a visual check in the NSF wheelarch.
I have a 2000 (53 plate) 75, will the reader work?,
That's a good question. I think that there's a real possibility that it won't. Hopefully a computer expert will be along soon to help us out.

Simon

Salad-Dodger
14th March 2015, 08:50
That is a very good Question. My U480 reader had worked on a lot of cars, even some that are a lot older than a 53 plate but Rover did lag behind a bit on the o'l tech stuff. I'm sure someone with a bit of hands-on experience on here will let us know. It certainly works on my Jan 54 plate. Steve

Mangizmo
14th March 2015, 17:51
[QUOTE=mh007;1946941]Firstly, yes it is an MOT failure I'm afraid.

Has the speedo also stopped working ? - Drivers side front faul

I was wrong, speedo and milometer are NOT working, so thats drivers side front then ?, thanks for the tip, just been on a 400 mile round trip, I only just noticed the speedo was out!!