PDA

View Full Version : Powerless then springs to life...

JMc
13th March 2015, 17:46
Hi All,

It was fine this morning to work, then coming home my CDT decided it didn't want to pull off as normal and then suddenly springs into life. There were a few annoyed drivers behind me...

The engine sounds normal and there is no smoke. Would anyone have an idea what could be causing it? I've only managed, so far, to remove the air filter and makes no difference to the revs.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

klarzy
13th March 2015, 17:48
Hi All,

It was fine this morning to work, then coming home my CDT decided it didn't want to pull off as normal and then suddenly springs into life. There were a few annoyed drivers behind me...

The engine sounds normal and there is no smoke. Would anyone have an idea what could be causing it? I've only managed, so far, to remove the air filter and makes no difference to the revs.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

look at you intercooler O-rings, disconnect and reconnect the MAF, if no improvement unplug the MAF and try again, if it is better the MAF could be failing. look at the fuel pumps and make sure the filter is in good condition..

Avulon
13th March 2015, 18:41
If it hardly pulls at all up to about 1800 - 2000 rpm then takes off like normal (which can catch you out!) it's almost certainly MAF related. As Klarzy suggested, disconnect the MAF (remove the plug that is revealed when removing the airbox lid). Put everything else back together leaving it disconnected and go for a drive. If it's back to very nearly normal then the MAF is the problem (unless there's a wiring fault, but that's rare in that area of the car at least).

JMc
14th March 2015, 12:33
Thank you, both. It is definitely the MAF sensor. With the plug out it runs as normal. Off to the motor factors to buy a new one...

Johnny2R
14th March 2015, 13:14
Dont try to get a new MAF sensor from the motor factors, you'll end up either with the wrong one or one which is far more more money than you need to pay. This is what you need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131251404965?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT, as mentioned in this thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=209782&highlight=MAF&page=4

JMc
15th March 2015, 15:21
You're not wrong. I was given the MAF sensor for the K-Series engine, with them using the car's reg. number...

Johnny2R
15th March 2015, 16:00
This forum is a great store of ancient wisdom, elsewhere lost to the world, or perhaps never known...