PDA

View Full Version : A slightly different Diesel starting issue.

Honda-hardy
14th March 2015, 18:14
Hi all, I have a 75 diesel with starting issues. She went to start the car this afternoon and it just cranked and cranked. She then tried again and it choked a few times then started. We then drove about 1000 yard to the roundabout at the end of our street, went to pull away and it cut out. Cranked and cranked. Nothing.

The car is pre-facelift so has two low pressure fuel pumps, the one at the rear sounds like its working but bubbly, the one under the bonnet buzzes and primes the system quite merrily too.

Plenum drains are clear and dry, so no ecu dampness.

Air filter is cleanish

I have tried various starting methods, hot and cold.

Here is what I have found.

If I turn the ignition on and wait a few second for the glow plugs then turn it over, the engine just cranks forever and will not start.
If I turn on the ignition for over 10 seconds then turn it over the car will start.
It doesn’t matter if the engine is hot or cold, it’s the same scenario, so not a glow plug issue as far as I can tell.

The low fuel light came on earlier in the week, so we put a £20 in today and it still does it at ¼ tank.

any further advice would be helpful please.

chillyphil
14th March 2015, 19:49
Dodgy Crank sensor?

klarzy
14th March 2015, 20:07
ignore any glow plug thoughts, they do not even come into play unless the outside temp is <-15C, diesel engines start on compression, not glow plugs... try to keep the tank over 1/4 full, fill her up and see if it makes a difference, that would indicate a failing ITP.

Honda-hardy
14th March 2015, 20:46
thanks for the replies, we will fill it up tommorow

itp? in tank pump?

klarzy
14th March 2015, 20:50
thanks for the replies, we will fill it up tommorow

itp? in tank pump?

yes...;)...;)

Honda-hardy
24th March 2015, 00:59
will one of these be ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-CDT-i-MG-1999-2005-IN-TANK-DIESEL-FUEL-PUMP-made-in-Germany-/281467936244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&hash=item4188cbddf4