PDA

View Full Version : engine light

tonygardner
15th March 2015, 18:17
hi all , i may have a problem 75 cdi manual trans 52 reg , had the engine light come on a few times over the last few days ,only from cold , the light goes out when i rev above 2000 or so , when driving the light stays on unless i rev above 2000 or so , but goes out when the car starts to warm up , no power loss car drives fine , im thinking cam /crank sensor ?

rosswalki
15th March 2015, 19:02
Hi, probably not the crank sensor as the engine needs this to start and keep running. Possibly every sensor in the engine, best to get fault codes read but I would assume that it may be something glow plug or IAT related if it's alright when it warms up. Does it take longer than usual to start?

tonygardner
15th March 2015, 19:13
hi seems to start ok , i did have the same thing with a merc i had. engine light came on only when cold , was the glow plugs :duh: it has done 147500

tonygardner
15th March 2015, 19:14
what is IAT

klarzy
15th March 2015, 20:18
what is IAT

intake air temperature?

ashley101
15th March 2015, 22:11
I wonder if it could be similar to my experience? I was having an intermittent 'Check Engine' light appear and no fault could be easily tracked down.

It resolved itself this weekend when I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the electrical contact that goes into its top piece. The old filter was pretty loose in the clip and looked very worn, so I replaced it with a new one that was a really solid fit.

The resolution matches with some other forum posts from a while back. They trace the issue to the pressure reading at the low pressure sensor (in the top of the fuel filter housing). This could conceivably explain the situations in which you're having the light appear, i.e. the problem goes away when you apply more revs and presumably the pressure increases. I had no power loss either, so it looks like the message's presence could be either very sensitive or simply incorrect.

I was able to just replace the filter and clean the contacts as a solution, but other people recommended an entire change of the fuel filter housing. Either way not an expensive shot if you're stuck for options. But please note that I'm absolutely not an expert on any of this, so don't do anything until other people have chimed in. This is just my experience of a similar issue; someone else may be able to say why your situation is different.

ashley101
16th March 2015, 14:58
Sorry Tony, ignore that last post. Engine light back on for me today. :mad:

tonygardner
20th March 2015, 22:33
up date . well i drove to work yesterday , 55 mile trip , pulled into the car park in a cloud of steam , :mad: oh great thinking its the water pump let go , poped bonnet only to find the top hose had come away from the plastic housing on the engine ,due to the jubilee clip snapping , (corrosion) easy fix new clip and some anti freeze later all ok no engine light , so must of been leaking slowly over the last few weeks the let go , ,:D