PDA

View Full Version : Warning! - Complete Failure of Rear Suspension Arm

dave1850
15th March 2015, 19:36
Dear All
Excuse me raising this if it is a phenomenon well known to club members but the rear arm on my 2005 75 tourer recently snapped after traversing a speed bump. On inspection there was major corrosion on both arms but the one that snapped - the driver's/offside had rotted right through from the top.

I attach some photos. You can see the extent of the corrosion, which from below didn't look as bad. It went through an Mot in November without comment presumably in a similar state. I had no idea beforehand how bad it was. Fortunately no one was hurt and there was no damage (except to the rear arm of course)

So my advice is - check your suspension rear arms. I've not seen a modern car corrode so badly at this location whilst less than 10 years sold.

Can only assume that as it sat in a field between registration and first use this might have been a factor.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46180&d=1426451670

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46181&d=1426451736

Dave
[http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46180&d=1426451670/IMG]

johnnyb44
15th March 2015, 19:40
Blimey they do look a little bit on the ripe side.

Billy1mate
15th March 2015, 19:55
What is the underside of your car like in general? I ask as mine has surface rust on most of it including my rear arms, the paint is flaking off the rear anti roll bar and the fuel tank straps look horrible but are intact.:shrug:

Richcl
15th March 2015, 19:57
I think I may renew mine anyway, but paint and rust proof the new ones before fitting!

dave1850
15th March 2015, 20:16
The underside was generally good, but plenty of apparently light surface rust. The exhaust rear box needed replacing recently.

It seems there's lots of opportunity for water and mud to sit on the top of these arms unnoticed. You just can't see them without access to a hoist.

D

spyder
15th March 2015, 20:17
Wow, that is unbelievable. I clean, paint and seal mine every year. MOT in a few weeks so will check on them again.

One has to wonder how yours passed the MOT like that.:shrug:

trikey
15th March 2015, 20:18
Mine are the same on my diesel, rest of the car is rust free!

Plans are afoot to replace with something that will last a little longer :D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46182&d=1426454277

minimutly
15th March 2015, 20:18
Hard to believe how mr tester managed to miss that!
This is not new, quite common in fact. the ones I've changed had rotted near the fulcrum pin, very difficult to spot, but the General condition should have told the tester something was up.
£80 odd pounds plus vat and carriage from Dmgrs I believe.

dave1850
15th March 2015, 20:22
Hi Trikey - I like yours - that's what they should look like, although being that solid the extra weight is bound to reduce the mpg :D

Seriously though I will be taking these rusty units to show my local MoT man. Not as a nag but as a cautionary tale. And maybe going somewhere else next time

D

Dansrockin
15th March 2015, 22:38
My new 75 failed its mot on the nearside arm, the tester said he's surprised the spring hadn't gone through it was that corroded! Its being sorted tomorrow hopefully, then getting retested in the week.
I'd have a go at changing it myself but it looks an absolute pig to change, and you need to have it on the ground to tighten up the bolts! There's absolutely no chance of me fitting under the car while its on the ground! I only just fit if its on axle stands! :D

DMGRS
15th March 2015, 23:12
I had a second hand set put on my ZT-T last year - the originals were completely rotten. The rest of the car is very clean underneath, too!
I fitted the second hand set as I'd acquired them some time ago in return for a favour - glad I held onto them now. :)

For anyone needing replacements, I have them here:
Rover 75 / MG ZT Rear Upper Suspension Arms (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/steering-components/products/r75-rear-upper-suspension-arms-rgg104962-and-rgg104972)

They're direct from XPart, and are genuine items.

Leyland Worldmaster
16th March 2015, 03:53
As this is a 2005 car; just wondering if this thread should be made a sticky? Would bring peoples attention to it and potentially save injury and damage. :)

Yella Fella
16th March 2015, 04:42
In the MGTF world its well known that some of the later models were assembled without proper rustproofing at the time leading upto the end of MGR.

on Saturday I was helping a friend on his 05 TF, some parts are in a bad way.

Sounds like some 75 and ZT late models were also assembled without proper rustproofing too.

FLYING BANANA
16th March 2015, 06:17
Banana failed her MOT this year as the o/s/r arm had a hole in it. But I had already bought 2 pair off of DMGRS so I was prepared.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46188&d=1426490244

rich17865
16th March 2015, 06:53
Out of interest, were the arms an advisory on the last mot?

FLYING BANANA
16th March 2015, 07:18
Not on mine.

Dansrockin
16th March 2015, 10:08
There were no advisories on my cars last mot.

trimani
16th March 2015, 10:57
I have two new 'Arms' from DMRGS, waiting to go on.

I also want to fit a refurbished 'Subframe' at the same time, but I just cannot get the four bushes for it. :duh:

Anybody got any tucked away anywhere ??

trimani (ALF)

Salad-Dodger
16th March 2015, 20:55
I think they hadn't found out about etch primer at Rover! I'm going out there tomorrow to have a look at mine!

trikey
16th March 2015, 20:59
I think they hadn't found out about etch primer at Rover! I'm going out there tomorrow to have a look at mine!

They definately didn't use red oxide!

wullie480
16th March 2015, 21:00
I have two new 'Arms' from DMRGS, waiting to go on.

I also want to fit a refurbished 'Subframe' at the same time, but I just cannot get the four bushes for it. :duh:

Anybody got any tucked away anywhere ??

trimani (ALF)

I bought 2 almost new subframes & painted with red oxide & then painted black before wax injecting & fitting.
Should last the life of the car now (I hope) might be worth looking for a similar one or getting a new subframe.

Jordan Apex
16th March 2015, 21:02

Mine were dreadful, one 'collapsed' when it was removed! They weren't an advisory on the previous mot either!

johnnyb44
16th March 2015, 21:05
When rears springs fail is it important to fit the new ones in such a way as to not block the drain holes that the spring sits in ( cup ) otherwise water will collect and cause rot.

trimani
17th March 2015, 21:39
I bought 2 almost new subframes & painted with red oxide & then painted black before wax injecting & fitting.
Should last the life of the car now (I hope) might be worth looking for a similar one or getting a new subframe.

Thanks wullie480

As said I have 'New, Lower Arms with bushes from Mat (DMRGS).

I also have a good subframe which I've reconditioned, but I have been unable to get the Four Bushes for it, and I don't know how good the bushes it came with are.
Still looking but no luck :duh:

trimani (ALF)

Dansrockin
17th March 2015, 23:25
Mine was changed today, and after seeing the old one, I have to say I'm glad I never got the chance to drive it far! It was completely rotten! The cup the spring sits in itself wasn't too bad, but the underneath and along both sides of the arm were almost one big hole! It was only suopoerted by a few bits of metal, it looks like it could've just folded in on itself if a bit of pressure were applied!

Arctic
22nd April 2024, 10:12
HI Dave.
9 years down the road since you posted up about the arms, which ones did you use, at that time most likely the Indian ones?

How are they now or how long did they last please let us know it would be interesting to see how they are performing if at all after 9yrs.