PDA

View Full Version : Water leak

steve811
16th March 2015, 21:13
Since the weekend have found I have a slight water leak. It appears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine, but the water pump appears dry. It may well be the pump, but leaking behind the pulley where I can't see! Is there anywhere else down there likely to leak? And how much of a job is it to change the pump?

Mike Noc
16th March 2015, 21:48
The thermostat housing seal and the O ring on the pipe entering the thermostat housing can leak.

If you shine a torch down it might be a bit easier to spot.

The book time for changing the water pump is 3.5 hours. It is pretty straightforward but time consuming due to the lack of access and the few other bits that need to be removed.

steve811
16th March 2015, 22:32
I have looked down there with a torch but can't see any water leaking. My problem is I don't have a garage so have to do this on the drive, fine in summer but cold this time of year!

steve811
17th March 2015, 11:22
Looked again this morning, hardly any water loss but a small pool under the car. There is some water from the O ring area, going to change that first, anyone know of a supplier other than Rimmers?

RogerHeinz57
17th March 2015, 23:13
Hi Steve, I think a trip to the BMW dealership could be the best bet as I am sure somebody else mentioned it's better value for money than Rimmers, also the quality will be the better of the two I imagine!
ATB, John.

steve811
18th March 2015, 10:58
You may be right, but the BMW dealer down here is very dismissive of anything more than 5 years old! I have ordered 2 from Rimmers, so will look at it this weekend, the leak does not seem to be getting any worse, and I am not losing much water!

steve811
18th March 2015, 18:09
Well, would you believe it the seals arrived today and the damn thing has stopped leaking! I will keep an eye on it, it may be that a pipe or seal has re-seated and is fine.

At the moment I am driving round with 5l of water and OAT in the boot, keeping an eye on the temperature gauge. Now I know what it feels like to drive a 1.8!

DMGRS
19th March 2015, 13:55
You may be right, but the BMW dealer down here is very dismissive of anything more than 5 years old! I have ordered 2 from Rimmers, so will look at it this weekend, the leak does not seem to be getting any worse, and I am not losing much water!

Ouch... :}
STC4540 - O Ring - 75/ZT CDTi Thermostat (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/seals-washers-and-o-rings/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-thermostat-o-ring-stc4540-thermostat-to-heater-rail)

For future reference, we have most small seals etc for the CDTi, and can find most parts that may not be listed on the site.
All usually at a price lower than the 'mainstream' suppliers too. :)

steve811
19th March 2015, 18:58
Ah, I could not find that on the site, elsewise I would have ordered two from you! With postage the two cost over £8!

DMGRS
20th March 2015, 10:49
Ah, I could not find that on the site, elsewise I would have ordered two from you! With postage the two cost over £8!

We're trying to make the site a bit easier to navigate soon - it's getting a little crowded with our new products.

If you can't find something, feel free to give me a nudge - always floating around here to help. :)