PDA

View Full Version : CDT auto - harsh kick-down & selection due to low oil

RoverDan
16th March 2015, 22:42
Had the estate in for a different job and asked for the gearbox oil to be changed while it was up on the ramps. Have been suffering harsh changes on kick-down (e.g. overtaking) a really uncomfortable jerk, and also it would engage jerkily from N to D or R when warm (e.g. stopped at lights). I'd checked the solenoids at the loom connector on the wing and all were in range so it didn't look like a solenoid fault. I must admit I was trying cheap options before looking into a gearbox swap, fearing a cracked piston or having to chase non-obvious solenoid failures at £40 a pop.

3.2l of old oil drained out, reddish brown but not burnt smelling. 4.0l of oil went back in. All done to the Rover Technical Bulletin spec for procedure and temperatures - i.e. fill to drain plug level, not "measure and replace the amount drained out" - with Rover JF506e oil from Rimmers.

Given that only half the fluid has been changed, the improvement in gearchange is remarkable. Smoother across the range, and the kick-down jerk and R - N - D jerks are completely gone.

I must admit I wasn't expecting this much improvement from "just an oil change". I was convincing myself that I'd got a "sticky" solenoid or cracked piston or some such without the normal symptoms... :rolleyes:

Given that the old oil was clearly used but not apparently abused, I'm putting it down thus far to low oil levels. The TB states a 300ml tolerance, mine was 800ml underfilled.

Greeners
16th March 2015, 22:50
well done, change it again and it'll probably be even better

RoverDan
17th March 2015, 12:30
That's what I was wondering about - I'm heading to Norwich at the weekend so that'll get it properly mixed up, then it'll be 25% old oil remaining.

DMGRS
17th March 2015, 16:17
A good plan to do multiple changes to get rid of most of the old fluid.
I did a change for Carlube ATF-U last year, and in 2 weeks will do another to the proper Rover fluid, and finally a 3rd change in another 2 weeks time.

There won't be much left then!

SD1too
17th March 2015, 17:03
Or you could use Beinet1's unique method of draining all the fluid in one go! ;)

Simon

iandux
17th March 2015, 17:16
Or you could use Beinet1's unique method of draining all the fluid in one go! ;)

Simon

Which is?:shrug:

SD1too
17th March 2015, 17:38
Tuh Ian, you want everything on a plate! ;)

Here you are then:
How to change all the ATF in one go (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=124816) by Beinet1.

Simon