PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 SE Auto

Geofs
17th March 2015, 09:48
The bearing on offside drive shaft has gone, so I need a replacement. Does anyone know whether a new one is available anywhere? Main Dealers say not.
Geofs

MangoMan
17th March 2015, 09:58
Have a look here: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001537

Geofs
17th March 2015, 11:49
Thanks Bill, but Rimmers advise they cannot help.
Geofs:mad:

Fusilier
17th March 2015, 12:39
The bearing on offside drive shaft has gone, so I need a replacement. Does anyone know whether a new one is available anywhere? Main Dealers say not.
Geofs

Geogs

This any good for you, bought one of these years ago, and still perfect

Stu
http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/rover/

Geofs
17th March 2015, 16:16
Thanks Stu. I will have a look, but its not the CV it's the bearing that the drive shaft passes through.
Geofs :mad:

SD1too
17th March 2015, 17:07
... its not the CV it's the bearing that the drive shaft passes through.
Do you mean in the automatic transmission casing Geoff?

Simon

andrewinpopayan
17th March 2015, 17:54
Do you mean in the automatic transmission casing Geoff?

Simon
I think he means the support bearing in a plummer block that's bolted under the steering rack and supports the O/S drive shaft.

Surely that bearing in the >plummer block< would be a standard size (from a bearing shop) and a doddle to change after you drop the shaft off the car??

SD1too
17th March 2015, 18:58
I think he means the support bearing in a plummer block that's bolted under the steering rack and supports the O/S drive shaft.
Thanks Andrew. So is that item 5 in the Rimmer's diagram (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001537) posted by MangoMan?

Simon

andrewinpopayan
17th March 2015, 20:10
Yes-ish, I can't see any reason why the plummer block bearing should not be replaceable unless they have crimped the bearing proper into the block.

It's over a year since I did the clutch etc on mine and although I remember the block, I didn't pay it much attention as to whether it could also be dismantled and replaced. :duh:

MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE TOP OF THE BLOCK AS I BELIEVE IT ONLY GOES IN 1 WAY

SD1too
18th March 2015, 08:47
The bearing on offside drive shaft has gone ...
Geoff,

Item no. 5 referred to above appears to be a complete driveshaft/bearing assembly. South Lake Minis have one but it's very expensive, and unnecessary to replace the whole lot.

The MG Rover workshop manual has an exploded diagram showing:

The bearing housing
A ring-shaped dust shield
The bearing itself
A circlip

So it appears to me that having removed the driveshaft (which you would have to do in any case), slide the bearing assembly off and release the circlip. Remove the dust shield then press out the bearing. Do some internet research for bearing suppliers and see if you can find a match.

But first, this is a very unusual fault diagnosis. I hope that whoever has given it knows what they're doing. The bearing is a roller bearing which in my experience are extremely robust. I've found only one other club member who has reported it (GarethSD1) and his thread was unresolved. Having released the driveshaft from the hub, I would check for play once more to verify the diagnosis.

I hope this helps. We'd all be interested to hear what you decide to do.

Simon

andrewinpopayan
18th March 2015, 12:26
The bearing type is probably an "RR", which signifies a rubber seal both sides.

Thanks there SD1t00, I didn't have a drawing for it and Rimmers pictures don't help much.

I like the " just slide it off" lol, call Mr Blowtorch and Mr Hammer.

Geofs
18th March 2015, 16:14
Thanks to all, some great advice. My garage people tell me it is the roller bearing that has gone. I have just had to replace the coil spring on the offside as it had snapped and dropped into the tyre, shredding it. Could this have damaged the bearing? We think we have now sourced a bearing, so will let you all know how things progress. A bit happier now!

Geofs
2nd April 2015, 14:54
Just to let youknow, we located a suitable bearing from uk manufacturer. It has been fitted to the drive shaft (lots of heat required) and all seems to be well. Thanks for the input guys.:}

Roverbrian
3rd November 2018, 10:29
For your information the number from the offside transmission shaft support bearing is 114-865-2RS-3Z-C3 the size being 35x72x25W.
Hope this helps although you will need some heat to disasemble.
If the faulty bearing is in peices to get the outer shell of the bearing realesed the tip here is to run a ring of weld along the ball groove and it will almost fall out.:}