PDA

View Full Version : OSF ABS Sensor Removal

Old Gregg
17th March 2015, 15:19
Hey All,

I have been looking through the how to section looking for a guide on replacing the OSF ABS Sensor as I have the ABS Light/No Speedo issue.

I dont seem to be able to find a step by step how to and a little concerned by all the talk of Drilling it or Punching it out.

I am not the most confident of self mechanic but my pockets aint too deep and could do with just a little hand holding.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the guide if possible please.

Greg

DMGRS
17th March 2015, 16:15
The easiest way to remove the old sensor is with some careful drilling.

I used a 5mm bit, and drilled slowly down until I felt the end of the drill touch the outer surface of the wheel bearing. I was then able to pull all the bits of the old sensor out, use a cotton bud to 'fish' any plastic residue out, and fit the new one. :)

With regards to sensors, we have some good quality sensors here:
ABS Sensor - Front - 75/ZT (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/abs-components/products/rover-75-mg-zt-front-abs-sensor-ssb000150)

klarzy
17th March 2015, 16:49
I got a wood screw just shorter than the new sensor, screwed it in and levered on the head with a claw hammer... sensor out in one piece...;)

Mangizmo
17th March 2015, 17:18
I got a wood screw just shorter than the new sensor, screwed it in and levered on the head with a claw hammer... sensor out in one piece...;)

I have exactly the same issue atm and that sounds like a brilliant plan, thanks V

Old Gregg
17th March 2015, 21:56
Thanks all, New sensors arrived today, like the idea of using a screw not quite as nerve racking as drilling it and damaging the bearing.

Thanks again,

ProfDave
28th March 2015, 15:19
Is there a pic of where this is. This is probably the issue with my speedo on the Duotone...........

klarzy
28th March 2015, 18:48
Is there a pic of where this is. This is probably the issue with my speedo on the Duotone...........

I do not have a pic dave but is normally blue and if you take the front wheels off then they will be in the 9-10 o'clock position on the rear edge of each hub...

Astraeus
28th March 2015, 18:54

Hi

If that is what is wrong with your speedo you shoukd have the ABS warning light illuminated on dash.

If not probably something else

Chris

klarzy
28th March 2015, 18:56
I asked Dave the same question yesterday on another thread...

I have found many a blob of silicone behind the ABS icon...

\does the light come on and go off again when you turn to pos II Dave?

Doc Evil
28th March 2015, 20:45

You better patent that idea I normally drill them or use a windy but on other cars not done one on the Rover yet

TOP BANANA AWARD this week goes to Klarzy:bowdown:

Doc:cool:

ProfDave
28th March 2015, 20:46
will look this in a week or two

suspect Klarzy is correct and its a bodge

not too worried

lots of time ahead on this one

will get in a sensor as I suspect its that!!

KENHAYES247
27th April 2015, 13:05
Hi all,

I am having to drill and gently chisel away my rather non compliant FRHS sensor. Hope this isnt a silly question but as its coming out in lots of little pieces what should i see at the bottom of the hole after its been removed from?

There is numerous mentions to not damaging the bearing. Maybe what i view as a greasy bearing isn't the same thing - advice anyone.

many thanks

RodgerD
27th April 2015, 13:59
If you've got the tools, I'd recommend taking off the large drive nut and pushing the CV joint away from the hub. You can then see the sensor tip, drill almost through the sensor and then just punch through the last bit. This method doesn't risk damaging the bearing which acts as the trigger for the sensor.

KENHAYES247
27th April 2015, 14:06
Okay - i will check my collection of tools. I take it the large drive nut you refer to is the one in the centre of the hub? If so, i assume its a normal anti clockwise rotation to remove?

RodgerD
27th April 2015, 14:20
Okay - i will check my collection of tools. I take it the large drive nut you refer to is the one in the centre of the hub? If so, i assume its a normal anti clockwise rotation to remove?

Yep. you only need to move the CV joint a few millimetres, just to get the sensor head out. Once you have drilled almost to the bearing, just punch it through and use a screwdriver to fish it out. More than likely the last bit will break-up as you punch it though. Go lightly in punching the last bit out.