PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 tourer cdti abs problem

Sclavey
18th March 2015, 17:14
I have recently just bought an02 plate cdti tourer and it had three warning lights
1 - handbrake light - this turned out to be the connection at the rear of the handbrake ( easy fix )
2- worn pad light - all pads were fine with loads of life left in them - this fault was a snapped wire on the sensor . ( another easy fix )
3 - the abs light - used to stay on permanently but since I sorted the other two I have had all the wheels off to check sensors and all seem fine . I have done a battery reset . Now the light is off but at low speed between 10- 25 mph I am getting a lot of feedback from the pedal and a grinding noise also accompanied with a ratchet type noise coming from the engine bay ( possible brake pump ??? ) this happens 3-4 times then the abs light goes back on and normal braking is resumed , any ideas would be great as I am in the highlands and can't get to a t4

DocWilliams
18th March 2015, 18:45
Firstly, check the ABS cables for any wear or damage. I had one that wasn't re-attached to its mounting in the wheel arch after it had been in a garage, giving the same symptoms you describe. After jacking up the car the cable was dangling and touching part of the suspension, the outer sheath was worn through to bare cable. Wrapped up with insulation tape, cable-tied the cable back to its mounting point and it has been fine ever since.

Of course, it could just be the sensor.

klarzy
18th March 2015, 19:03
you may well have a damaged reluctor ring on one of your front wheel bearings, the sensors read this ring and they can and do fail.
You may get some joy by filling a little off of the sensor mounting pad so that the tip gets half a mm closer to the ring...

Sclavey
18th March 2015, 19:05
Visual inspection of all cables seems ok , I have two new rear sensors that I can fit and see if this solves the problem

Sclavey
18th March 2015, 19:08
The reluctor ring , it's not magnetic by any chance ? It's just I found a small bit of magnitised metal on the suspension arm and didn't think much of it at the time

klarzy
18th March 2015, 19:10
The reluctor ring , it's not magnetic by any chance ? It's just I found a small bit of magnitised metal on the suspension arm and didn't think much of it at the time

it does work on magnetic fields (Hall effect I think it's called)

get a new front sensor to go with the back you have... change them in turn to see if it works.. if not then there are threads to show tests for which wheel is problematic, then look at that bearing..

suzublu
18th March 2015, 19:10
Member Lovel has a T4, he's in Aberdeen iirc ;):}

ratchet
18th March 2015, 20:24
Member Lovel has a T4, he's in Aberdeen iirc ;):}

Aye, he's about 20 miles North of Aberdeen (about 70 miles from Nairn).