PDA

View Full Version : ABS help/suggestions sought.

hinged_bap
18th March 2015, 17:54
History:
Over the last 3 months, my ABS light very occasionally illuminates with the ABS fauly indicator appearing in the message window thingy. When on, the cruise and speedo still worked so the inference was it was the rears playing up - I must stress, very occasionally

Being one to do the cheaper jobs first in the hope of eliminating the fault, I bought 2 rear sensors from these peoples ( I'd already fitted fronts a few years ago from the same source and they're still fine )

http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/pages/ROVER_75_MG_ZT_REAR_R_L_ABS_SENSOR_SSB000160__1238 69-z=353444&p=39753.cfm

I spent a couple of hours today fitting the OSR, it was a tight fit in the hole ( which I'd cleaned out with a plumbers 15mm copper pipe solder fitting brush ) and still had to file a smidgen off the sensor to reduce its diameter slightly. I also cleaned up the ring on the bearing which the sensor butts up against ( which was a bit manky ) with some red scotchbrite. Anyway all back together now. But:

Put key to position 2 the amber ABS light stays on permanently.
Start car - ABS light stays on and an ABS Fault message appears ( then disappears ). Its now a solid fault. Aaargh.

I still have 1 new sensor to fit, but am wondering how the experts might tackle this dilemma I have.

TYIA
Bap

wullie480
18th March 2015, 17:59
If the abs light stays on before driving off I'm sure that means the sensors have failed the self test.
Sounds like the one you have fitted is faulty or got damaged.

I had similar on the wife's zt about 2 years ago turned out to be the sensor had became contaminated with metal fillings from the handbrake shoes.
A Clean up & the issue has never returned.

klarzy
18th March 2015, 18:40
also check you did not bend a pin when plugging them back in..;)

hinged_bap
18th March 2015, 20:40
hmmm. definitely no bent pins, I did double check, so: If I unplug my newly fitted OSR abs sensor with my new and yet to be fitted one ( into thin air so to speak - it won't be butted up against the bearing ) easily done under the rear seat and the ABS amber light goes out, is that a sign of either: a duff new OSR sensor or i damaged it when fitting it.

HarryM1BYT
18th March 2015, 20:49
hmmm. definitely no bent pins, I did double check, so: If I unplug my newly fitted OSR abs sensor with my new and yet to be fitted one ( into thin air so to speak - it won't be butted up against the bearing ) easily done under the rear seat and the ABS amber light goes out, is that a sign of either: a duff new OSR sensor or i damaged it when fitting it.

It sounds like a faulty sensor and /or you have disturbed a loom wiring fault in the process of fitting.

Note that you should be able to just plug a sensor in, without fitting to the hub (just leave it dangling) - it should then pass the initial static test.

DMGRS
19th March 2015, 13:52
Sounds like it could well be a faulty sensor.
We currently have brand new sensors from SAIC MG, they seem to last well in service with over 100 sold so far.
75/ZT Rear ABS Sensor (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/abs-components/products/rover-75-mg-zt-rear-abs-sensor-ssb000160)

Good luck sorting it out. :)

hinged_bap
20th March 2015, 02:14
ok, thanks for the suggestions chaps, will take another look this saturday and report back.

hinged_bap
23rd March 2015, 08:44
Sorted the problem out. Both sensors ( Yes - BOTH and as supplied ) failed the power on self test that takes place when you turn the ignition key. Fitted new ( and working one this time ) and all is well.