PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean the headlights

stef_uk
23rd May 2008, 12:52
As title realy my lights have started to dull a little and flys like to cremate themselves...although standard cleaning improves them i was wondering what you lot use to get them gleaming again....don't want to experiment and end up with hazed lights.....thx for any help

stef

GERFIX
23rd May 2008, 12:59
As title realy my lights have started to dull a little and flys like to cremate themselves...although standard cleaning improves them i was wondering what you lot use to get them gleaming again....don't want to experiment and end up with hazed lights.....thx for any help

stef
I take it you mean the outside of the lenses Stef? Any half decent glass cleaner should be up to the job. I usually go over the lenses with whatever polich/wax I'm using when doing the paintwork too.

Per Ardua
23rd May 2008, 13:02
I did hear once that once they are clean, a very, very light smear of olive oil on the lenses will stop the flies adhering in future and make them much easier to clean off.

(I think it was on 'How clean is your house' once demonstrated with a motorbike)

Never tried it myself but it sounds good...

GERFIX
23rd May 2008, 13:04
I did hear once that once they are clean, a very, very light smear of olive oil on the lenses will stop the flies adhering in future and make them much easier to clean off.

(I think it was on 'How clean is your house' once demonstrated with a motorbike)

Never tried it myself but it sounds good...
That rings a bell. Who's going to be the first to smear their headlamps with olive oil then?http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Simon
23rd May 2008, 13:17
The lens outters are actually plastic and some glass cleaners say you shouldn't really use glass polish on plastics. I just use the same shampoo I use for the bodywork but tend to just rub extra hard on the lights :rolleyes: Autoglym bug/tar remover is pretty good at removing the blighters too.

GERFIX
23rd May 2008, 15:42
What to definitely NOT do is use a K'archer or similar jet wash. I did once on my Vi and took the outer film right off!:( Plastic, as Simon says.

MrBitsy
23rd May 2008, 16:57
I have always used

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-amp-exterior/meguiars-plastx/prod_283.html

With good results on both my headlights and rear lights.

Ray

stef_uk
23rd May 2008, 18:00
so is there a film on the headlights?...ive tried windowlene and mer polish both clean well but don't revive the dull look...i think i need a t-cut type solution...but for plastics..any ideas

stevemac
24th May 2008, 04:38
so is there a film on the headlights?...ive tried windowlene and mer polish both clean well but don't revive the dull look...i think i need a t-cut type solution...but for plastics..any ideas

Maybe one of the products that revive things like CD's or taking scratches off an iPod.

Greeners
24th May 2008, 04:50
I noticed a huge difference in my lights when......

I removed the bumper and could clean in between the 2 raised parts which is normally obscured by the bumper.