PDA

View Full Version : Quick question (hopefully)

ihatedeskjets
19th March 2015, 17:14
Hi all hope you are well.

My 2001 75 diesel displayed a red light which stayed on today on the way to work, on the way home it appeared after about 10 minutes and stayed on again.

If I turn the ignition off and restart the car it does not show immediately but comes on after a drive.
I don't have an owners book but it's the light I've circled in this pic not my actual car dash. I would usually just take to my mate who has a ds150 but i'm 150 miles from home working near Abergele.

The car seems to run ok with no smoke or power loss, fluid levels are ok, should I go home tomorrow afternoon or get it checked out first?

http://www.hostthem.net/dash.jpg

Number 6
19th March 2015, 17:20

My 2001 75 diesel displayed a red light which stayed on today on the way to work, on the way home it appeared after about 10 minutes and stayed on again.

If I turn the ignition off and restart the car it does not show immediately but comes on after a drive.
I don't have an owners book but it's the light I've circled in this pic not my actual car dash. I would usually just take to my mate who has a ds150 but i'm 150 miles from home working near Abergele.

The car seems to run ok with no smoke or power loss, fluid levels are ok, should I go home tomorrow afternoon or get it checked out first?

it is the hand b

I would suggest that it is the handbrake ON warning light,you might have to adjust the switch on the handbrake lever Or make sure the handbrake lever is pushed fully off

stocktake
19th March 2015, 17:21
Check you brake fluid level ;) or handbrake is on :)

Fusilier
19th March 2015, 17:23

You have also got a Bulb out and also a brake pad warning light

Stu

stevestrat
19th March 2015, 17:23
Check you brake fluid level ;)Yep, light indicates either the handbrake or a general brake fault. As Dave suggests start by checking the fluid level.

ihatedeskjets
19th March 2015, 17:33
Thanks guys

Ahh cool, I checked the fluid and it's full, I'll work the handbrake lever up and down a few times in the morning to see if that cures it, as long as it's not an engine warning I'm a lot happier.

come to think of it the brakes have been squeaking a bit recently after a drive, perhaps a caliper binding? would this cause the light?

Oh and the pic is not of my dash, I dont have a bulb warning or pad light ( but I did learn what the pad light looks like )

ihatedeskjets
26th March 2015, 13:49
I'm at a loss with this one, looking at the handbrake mechanism I cannot see a switch anywhere, the Black / yellow wire with the spade is hanging loose.

There is no sensor in the fluid cap and the wiring diagram only shows the B/Y wire from the handbrake warning switch connecting to the instrument cluster, this warning light has stayed off for 200miles then lights up randomly if I nip down the road 5 miles, Once it is lit it will stay lit until I turn off the ignition only to come on again sometime later.

Poor connections on the instrument cluster maybe ?

steve811
26th March 2015, 18:08
I think your problem is the black and yellow cable should be connected to the switch. Have a look and you will find the switch behind the handbrake.

The wire is also connected to earth, you can see it in this pic:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/james_death/Rover%2075/75newhandbrakefitted.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the75andztclub.co.uk%2Fforum% 2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D88200&ei=2VgUVdu1EcHQ7AaoqoCACw&bvm=bv.89217033,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNF29mt647PzxYj6KSS_OBfXIM0OIA&ust=1427483173012915)

ihatedeskjets
26th March 2015, 18:52
Nice clear pic thnx for finding that.

Is that cream colored thing bolted to the floor in fron of the adjusting nut the switch ? I dont see one of those, the wiring diagram shows the switch connects to ground when it's pressed (or released )

I think I'm gonna have to measure if there's any voltage on it and ground it to see if the light goes off, as it's only a handbrake warning I can live with it but I'd rather it was off than on

bramblp
26th March 2015, 18:53
Faulty ABS sensors can also activate this light, especially if they have been soaked after deep water or very heavy rain

ihatedeskjets
26th March 2015, 19:08
Faulty ABS sensors can also activate this light, especially if they have been soaked after deep water or very heavy rain

Eeek that sounds complicated / expensive, It goes for it's MOT on Saturday I'm guessing if the ABS system is faulty this will show under testing.

steve811
26th March 2015, 20:11
Nice clear pic thnx for finding that.

Is that cream colored thing bolted to the floor in fron of the adjusting nut the switch ? I dont see one of those, the wiring diagram shows the switch connects to ground when it's pressed (or released )

I think I'm gonna have to measure if there's any voltage on it and ground it to see if the light goes off, as it's only a handbrake warning I can live with it but I'd rather it was off than on

The "cream coloured thing" is the earth connector for all the wires in that area! The switch does ground the line for the BCU to see that the handbrake is on or off.

MrDoodles
26th March 2015, 20:14
As you clearly need to replace your brake pads, it's more than likely low brake fluid! ;)

ZedTeeTee
26th March 2015, 20:20
As you clearly need to replace your brake pads, it's more than likely low brake fluid! ;)

lol - he's said a few times the image is not of his actual dash :D

ZedTeeTee
26th March 2015, 20:23
Eeek that sounds complicated / expensive, It goes for it's MOT on Saturday I'm guessing if the ABS system is faulty this will show under testing.

If you had an ABS fault, you'd have an ABS warning light, as the system would fail it's self test. Your issue is either caused by the handbrake switch or low brake fluid. If you brake fluid level is correct, then the answer is with the switch, probably because it's the spade connector hanging loose.