PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake ratchet spring

Avulon
19th March 2015, 19:43
Well it never just rains does it? Along with my leaking high pressure pump, I've now got no ratchet on the handbrake :mad:.

I feared the worst (whatever that might be) when after moving forward in the traffic at some lights I pulled the lever (whilst pressing the button in my usual way) but on releasing it went straight back down. So I pulled it again without pressing the button: no ratchet and I must have pulled it all the way because that provoke the brake warning light as well.

After a search through here and after a calm down and going back out to the car to investigate I'm sure that it's a broken spring in the handle.

I found a fix here - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=753927&postcount=6

I was wondering if anyone can shed more light on the spring location and size?

alanjay
19th March 2015, 20:03
Strange coincidence, my hand brake lever went the same way about 2 months ago, so got a replacement from a breaker.

Examining the way the lever works, I experimented with the faulty lever in the car.

Pulled the lever up to full height, pressed and released the lever button a couple of times and the spring worked and locked the handbrake. I think by doing this you are firing the faulty spring and engaging the teeth of the ratchet mechanism.

Obviously it's a temporary solution but will do until I've got time to fit the replacement lever assembly.

Avulon
19th March 2015, 20:36
I'll give the double push a go, but I suspect that you've been lucky in that working for you. Do you plan to remove the centre console as per the manual to do the job?, I'm wondering if the two bolts on the top of the tunnel are accessible with the cubby box removed, not sure about the side one though.

alanjay
19th March 2015, 21:40
I'll give the double push a go, but I suspect that you've been lucky in that working for you. Do you plan to remove the centre console as per the manual to do the job?, I'm wondering if the two bolts on the top of the tunnel are accessible with the cubby box removed, not sure about the side one though.

To be honest, as the car is an auto with park and MOT isn't due until August, I'm taking my time in working out if I can do the job without totally removing the entire centre tunnel cover system, maybe just raise it enough to slide the old lever out and new one in.

One thing annoying me for a while was how to remove the side screws by the seats, without removing the seats. However, thanks to a post on this site, I found a slim line side drive ratchet screw driver that gets the screws out without removing the seats.

It's a useful tool and if I can find the thread I'll send you the link.

alanjay
24th March 2015, 15:36
Update on my faulty handbrake lever. I no longer have to press and release the button to get the lever to lock on.
Strangely there's no clicking sound from the ratchet but the lever now works as it should.