PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes binding.

petespieces
19th March 2015, 20:20
Sorry not a Rover but would appreciate advice.

Picasso failed it's CT (MOT) on rear brakes.

I have replaced cylinders and shoes on both sides but now the OS is binding, I have wound the adjuster all the way back and treble checked everything is fitted correctly, the drum slid on easily and there are no score marks.

I can't hear or feel anything when driving but the wheel is stiff to turn when off the ground.

Problem is the car is booked for re test early tomorrow morning and I have run out of time to play around and try to fix the prob.

Does anybody know if MOT testers check for binding brakes?

Thanks

Pete.

RogerHeinz57
19th March 2015, 21:05
Sorry not a Rover but would appreciate advice.

Picasso failed it's CT (MOT) on rear brakes.

I have replaced cylinders and shoes on both sides but now the OS is binding, I have wound the adjuster all the way back and treble checked everything is fitted correctly, the drum slid on easily and there are no score marks.

I can't hear or feel anything when driving but the wheel is stiff to turn when off the ground.

Problem is the car is booked for re test early tomorrow morning and I have run out of time to play around and try to fix the prob.

Does anybody know if MOT testers check for binding brakes?

Thanks

Pete.

The tester would usually rotate the wheel to assess for bearing noises, and by doing so would notice binding, at worst the brake roller test would probably record a binding if bad enough, and the knock on effect is that it would also contribute to a brake inbalance for both service brake, and parking brake efficiency, the effects and dangers of brake inbalance would be recognised if a skid was to occur worse when wet or icy road conditions.

petespieces
19th March 2015, 21:43
Thanks John, not looking good then :(

I have somebody coming to help me but not until Monday, I'll have to try my telephone French and cancel the re test.

Pete