PDA

View Full Version : Operation subframe swap begins.

wullie480
20th March 2015, 14:39
Mot due in a few weeks so as I can't have the car off the road for long & it's to be a nice weekend I'm going to change it over this weekend.
I'll take a few pics as I go as I didn't the last time I changed the one on the wife's zt & stick a how to together.
Be changing both wishbones at the same time.

chris75
20th March 2015, 15:36
Just out of interest , what's the problem with the old subframe ? :}

wullie480
20th March 2015, 15:46
Just out of interest , what's the problem with the old subframe ? :}

Same as the wife's one corrosion especially the bushes so renewing it as well as the wishbones. Not bad it's lasted 200k.

This a pic of the subframe removed from the wife's zt.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/wullie480/A066FDDB-1336-4FBB-B9CE-BE8ACBF8A272_zpsyy5wimp4.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/wullie480/media/A066FDDB-1336-4FBB-B9CE-BE8ACBF8A272_zpsyy5wimp4.jpg.html)

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/wullie480/CFA9F8F7-0399-4574-A8AB-0F9B02CBFD92_zpsvzeakaum.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/wullie480/media/CFA9F8F7-0399-4574-A8AB-0F9B02CBFD92_zpsvzeakaum.jpg.html)

trimani
20th March 2015, 20:17
That's a 'Front Subframe' Yes ??

I'm waiting on a Rear Subframe swop :eek:

trimani (Alf)

trikey
20th March 2015, 20:19

trimani (Alf)

Nope, that's a rear one, and a pretty bad rear one at that!

wullie480
20th March 2015, 20:23

trimani (Alf)

As trikey confirmed its the rear one.
Salt on the roads don't help up here will be all wax injected before fitting & then I'll do it every few months.

trimani
20th March 2015, 20:33
Same as the wife's one corrosion especially the bushes so renewing it as well as the wishbones. Not bad it's lasted 200k.

This a pic of the subframe removed from the wife's zt.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/wullie480/A066FDDB-1336-4FBB-B9CE-BE8ACBF8A272_zpsyy5wimp4.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/wullie480/media/A066FDDB-1336-4FBB-B9CE-BE8ACBF8A272_zpsyy5wimp4.jpg.html)

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/wullie480/CFA9F8F7-0399-4574-A8AB-0F9B02CBFD92_zpsvzeakaum.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/wullie480/media/CFA9F8F7-0399-4574-A8AB-0F9B02CBFD92_zpsvzeakaum.jpg.html)

H Wullie480

trikey has just put me right on which subframe. I thought it was front. As it is the back, are you fitting new bushes to the four centre mounting, or are you fitting a complete replacement ? I have reconditioned a spare sub, but I cannot get the four centre fixing bushes. Anybody got any ideas :shrug:

Nope, that's a rear one, and a pretty bad rear one at that!

Thanks trikey. Thanks for putting me on right road. :bowdown:

trimani (ALF)

wullie480
20th March 2015, 20:42
I'm fitting a complete replacement subframe.
Both were sold to me as used but in good condition but looking at them they have never been fitted as there is no signs of any marks on them.
Picked them up last summer for £30 each well chuffed.

I checked the part numbers for the bushes but 2 are NLA.

trimani
20th March 2015, 21:03
Thanks mate. The hunt is still on then for my bushes. :eek:

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

trikey
20th March 2015, 21:48
Thanks mate. The hunt is still on then for my bushes. :eek:

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

Why not get some made from nylatron, they will last the life of the car.

Bolin
20th March 2015, 22:38
The bushes should be different for 75 (rubber) and ZT (aluminum) I think?

trimani
21st March 2015, 13:42
Why not get some made from nylatron, they will last the life of the car.

That sounds a brilliant idea, but how do I go about that.
I do know that the 'Bushes' are two different sizes.

Can you tell me how to go about it 'PLEASE'

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

trimani
21st March 2015, 13:52
HI trikey

Have had a look at the 'Nylatron' site, but they only show bushes for older MG's :shrug:

Unless you Know differently :bowdown:

trimani (ALF)

190SETOURING
21st March 2015, 16:16
I would be interested in replacement bushes as i would like to refurbish the two subframes on my tourers. Is it possible to remove the bushes and refit the same ones if they are good. Or is it a case of when they are out they are fit for the bin! I have the equipment to shot blast and powder coat the frames probably in nylon.

trimani
21st March 2015, 19:07
I would be interested in replacement bushes as i would like to refurbish the two subframes on my tourers. Is it possible to remove the bushes and refit the same ones if they are good. Or is it a case of when they are out they are fit for the bin! I have the equipment to shot blast and powder coat the frames probably in nylon.

I wish I could give you an answer, but honestly I don't know. :shrug:

I've been trying to source new bushes for ages but just draw a blank.

All I know is that the four bushes are not same size. They are 2 pairs.

trimani (ALF)

wullie480
23rd March 2015, 17:45
Well subframe out & wasn't in as bad a condition as I though but the bushes were all flaking.
I also need a few other parts which is going to cost around £150 - £200 that on top of the subframe & 2 new wishbones I've already bought I'm going to have a think as to whether to continue with repairs on it.
Seen a few diesels recently with about half the miles of mine so may make sense to look into replacing it.

trimani
23rd March 2015, 19:26
Wullie480, Oh dear, hope you don't have to replace the car.

I've invested a lot of time and money into mine, and that would be a disaster.
I know the Bushes have been available in the past. Rimmers list as one pair NLA, and the other pair as Back Order, but doesn't look as if that's going to happen.

I've checked Land Rover parts, but no luck, I still don't now whether BMW do any.

I checked the Nylatron Site site and they only seem to cover older MG's, so the search continues.
The really annoying problem is that I'm not sure the bushes in either Sub need replacing, the main problem is the rust. The same with the replacement. I've done all the reconditioning on it but can't tell if the bushes are any good or not :shrug:

It's beginning to look like I will have to fit the recon Sub, and just hope the bushes are OK. :cool:

trimani (ALF)

chiron_myth
23rd March 2015, 19:39
Have you tried emailing Nylatron? As they make all their own stuff, I'm sure they'd be able to do something to fit.

Jim Jamieson
23rd March 2015, 19:48
I seem to recall that Polybushes were available for the 75's
maybe worth a try.

Good luck with the overhaul Wullie.
I went to town on the diesel almost three years back and it was still looking in good nick when it was sold just recently.

Some day I may do the same on the V6.

Arctic
23rd March 2015, 22:54

I wish I could give you an answer, but honestly I don't know. :shrug:

I've been trying to source new bushes for ages but just draw a blank.

All I know is that the four bushes are not same size. They are 2 pairs.

trimani (ALF)

Hi Guys
have you tried these below
http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/southlakes/mounting-assembly-rear-subframe-khc000181-30298-p.asp
Rimmers
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001554

Typed the code into this search came up as Subaru ? wonder if they are the same
http://en.autospares.lv/search.html?search=search&article=KHC000191&term=0&sort___search_results_by=final_price&chk_smode=on&smode=A

http://en.autospares.lv/search.html?search=search&article=KHC100840&term=0&sort___search_results_by=final_price&chk_smode=on&smode=A

Front sub frames stills available
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KGB000321

DMGRS
24th March 2015, 11:13
We have the front subframe bushes available here:
75/ZT Front Subframe Bushes (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/steering-components/products/rover-75-mg-zt-front-subframe-bush-kge100430)

We've not got any rears available though, but I'll keep my ear to the ground (especially with SAIC MG, if they release any).

trimani
24th March 2015, 14:00
Thank you Arctic :bowdown:

I have emailed Southlakesminis to see if they can supply the bushes under that part number. thanks for that.

Rimmers are NLA.

Thanks for taking the time for letting me know. I will post up result for others as well.

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

trimani
25th March 2015, 14:47
NO STOCK :eek:

Have been in touch with Southlakelands Minis, and they have no stock, and no plan to re-order either. :eek:

So these Subframe bushes are 'RARER' then the proverbial 'Hens Teeth'.:duh:

So I'm up a tree without a bush.

trimani (ALF)

190SETOURING
25th March 2015, 18:44
Just thought but maybe the subframe could be altered to take a different bush from another model. Bmw maybe? The frames got to come off so why not.:shrug:

KWIL
25th March 2015, 18:50
Nylatron is a Registered trade name for Molybdenum Sulphide loaded Nylon material. Machines well and has a long life. I have used it for making self lubricating gears, I am not so sure about it for bushes, unless you want some resilience and easy rotation of the inner fixing.

Arctic
25th March 2015, 20:19
NO STOCK :eek:

Have been in touch with Southlakelands Minis, and they have no stock, and no plan to re-order either. :eek:

So these Subframe bushes are 'RARER' then the proverbial 'Hens Teeth'.:duh:

So I'm up a tree without a bush.

trimani (ALF)

maybe worth a try
http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=743995&SPRACHE=EN

Billy1mate
25th March 2015, 21:10
As mentioned, the obvious avenue to pursue is what do BMW have?

trimani
25th March 2015, 23:17
maybe worth a try
http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=743995&SPRACHE=EN

Thanks again Arctic

They quote the bushes so I have emailed them for stock availability
Cheers mate

trimani (ALF)

trimani
25th March 2015, 23:35
As mentioned, the obvious avenue to pursue is what do BMW have?

Hi Ade

I have emailed BMW to see if they have anything like

Cheers & see you Sat :bowdown:

trimani (AF)

Greeners
26th March 2015, 02:19
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqF,!lME65RDREBdBPIYUlMcv!~~60_57.JPG

looks very similar to BMW X5 bushes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-E53-4-4-4-8-REAR-AXLE-SUBFRAME-SUB-FRAME-MOUNT-MOUNTING-FRONT-REAR-BUSHES-/131078098985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item1e84dd1029

trimani
26th March 2015, 09:55
Thanks David

I will look into this, and post result

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

DMGRS
26th March 2015, 13:10
I've had a chat with my suppliers over the water, and they can't find any from SAIC MG.

Organiser
26th March 2015, 13:33
The bushes should be different for 75 (rubber) and ZT (aluminum) I think?

As above the bushes for a ZT & ZTT are according to Rimmers site a solid bush (part No KHC000090 and NLA) and all four are the same part for a ZT subframe.

wullie480
27th March 2015, 18:10
Thanks David

I will look into this, and post result

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

I'll take sizes of the bushes in the subframe I have I'll also remove them from the old one so I can get diameters.

wullie480
27th March 2015, 18:18
Wullie480, Oh dear, hope you don't have to replace the car.

I've invested a lot of time and money into mine, and that would be a disaster.
I know the Bushes have been available in the past. Rimmers list as one pair NLA, and the other pair as Back Order, but doesn't look as if that's going to happen.

I've checked Land Rover parts, but no luck, I still don't now whether BMW do any.

I checked the Nylatron Site site and they only seem to cover older MG's, so the search continues.
The really annoying problem is that I'm not sure the bushes in either Sub need replacing, the main problem is the rust. The same with the replacement. I've done all the reconditioning on it but can't tell if the bushes are any good or not :shrug:

It's beginning to look like I will have to fit the recon Sub, and just hope the bushes are OK. :cool:

trimani (ALF)

Well I've made a decision on the car so anyone looking for parts can PM a trader as I'm going to repair it.
Well I'm hoping to as I was assured parts would be here today but when I contacted the seller to check they told me they haven't recieved them yet so not happy that they haven't turned up.
Everything painted ready to fit just need my parts.

I have derusted & repainted anti roll bar as well as the anti roll bar bush mounts as well as the big washers that hold the subframe in position.
I'm renewing
subframe
2 x wishbones
2 x lower tie rods.
1 x upper rear suspension bush.
2 x anti roll bar bushes
4 x drop links.

Been an expensive week.
Probably have been cheaper to buy another car :D

wullie480
31st March 2015, 08:41
I purchased all the parts I needed for the swap & even after checking the parts were available the supplier has just refunded my money as they are unable to source the parts from rimmers or xpart. :mad:

So time to reflect on what to do but I feel this is it for my zt, We'll still have the wifes & mine can become a source of spares for hers & I'll pick up a cheap car for work over the next few days.

Arctic
31st March 2015, 11:49
I wonder if these will fit or if Febi have some that do ? Arctic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Bmw-3-E36-Series-316-318-320-323-325-328-Rear-Subframe-Mounting-Bush-Kit-New-/130930347919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e7c0e8f8f

FrazzleTC
31st March 2015, 14:05
Very sorry to read this, Wullie. I've got a very good rear subframe I'm hoping to refurb ready to fit to my car. What, particularly, has proved to be a struggle? PM me, if you'd prefer!

DMGRS
31st March 2015, 14:15
I purchased all the parts I needed for the swap & even after checking the parts were available the supplier has just refunded my money as they are unable to source the parts from rimmers or xpart. :mad:

So time to reflect on what to do but I feel this is it for my zt, We'll still have the wifes & mine can become a source of spares for hers & I'll pick up a cheap car for work over the next few days.

I have a lot of what you've mentioned here, and it's all in stock. :)

wullie480
31st March 2015, 16:16

I was feeling rather down in the dumps & full of the cold this morning when I posted the message above & feeling a little peeved off about my refund.
I have since sourced the parts from mat (didn't realise he sold them) which is good news although he has started his own thread saying there now out of stock so luckily I've got 2 sets before they sold out or it would have been curtains for my zt.

wullie480
31st March 2015, 16:17
Very sorry to read this, Wullie. I've got a very good rear subframe I'm hoping to refurb ready to fit to my car. What, particularly, has proved to be a struggle? PM me, if you'd prefer!

Pm on its way.

trimani
1st April 2015, 07:35
Hi Arctic
Thankyou for the link to the BMW X3 Bushes, but they do not fit :duh:

I still have to check 'Febi'

Thanks again, I will keep hunting.

trimani (ALF)

wullie480
1st April 2015, 08:33
Hi Arctic
Thankyou for the link to the BMW X3 Bushes, but they do not fit :duh:

I still have to check 'Febi'

Thanks again, I will keep hunting.

trimani (ALF)

Hi Alf,

Give me a few days & I'll measure up what size the bushes are and what diameter they are.
Weather here has been all over the place so not been near the zt all week.

trimani
1st April 2015, 16:40
Hi Alf,

Give me a few days & I'll measure up what size the bushes are and what diameter they are.
Weather here has been all over the place so not been near the zt all week.

Cheers wullie480

I've drawn a blank on them so far :shrug:

The only thing I know is that they are 2 pairs and each pair different size :duh:
Cheers
trimani (ALF)

wullie480
19th April 2015, 18:48
I have tried to remove the bush from the subframe but it's seized solid it just won't budge, I've tried heat plus gas and it still ain't moving.
My vice wasn't wide enough to try and press it out and i admited defeat and took the subframe to the dump.

Sorry alf.

bl52krz
19th April 2015, 21:29
Would it not have been possible to cut the bush's out of the frame if you were going to scrap it?

trimani
28th April 2015, 19:54
No resolution on these bushes yet then.

Ah well, Subframe swop will have to wait until something crops up.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

trimani (ALF)

The Mighty Quinn
28th April 2015, 20:33
That's a shame, Alf. Have you any idea who manufactured the originals, or who manufactures similar items? Would it be worth dropping some of them a line to find out how many would be required for a minimum run? I'm sure they'd be able to work off a reasonable second hand original..
Group buy might work (unless of course, they require a huge number to be made) - seems to be some interest in this.

If all else fails, I guess the best that can be done is to take a look round the scrap yards for the best rear sub-frame (preferably low mileage) you can find, refurb/Dinitrol it and trust that the bushes will hold out..

Hope something works out,
Karl.

Saga Lout
28th April 2015, 20:44
I'd have drilled out the bush and then put a hacksaw cut in the casing to free it from the subframe. I'm also thinking that if the bushes are not available now, we are faced with altering the holes to take bigger or smaller bushes, that's also not a problem. I'd suggest that the members without the know how should stop the panic, it's not helping them to resolve their problems. If we can work to resolve the problems, then there won't be a problem in the future.

trimani
28th April 2015, 20:49
That's a shame, Alf. Have you any idea who manufactured the originals, or who manufactures similar items? Would it be worth dropping some of them a line to find out how many would be required for a minimum run? I'm sure they'd be able to work off a reasonable second hand original..
Group buy might work (unless of course, they require a huge number to be made) - seems to be some interest in this.

If all else fails, I guess the best that can be done is to take a look round the scrap yards for the best rear sub-frame (preferably low mileage) you can find, refurb/Dinitrol it and trust that the bushes will hold out..

Hope something works out,
Karl.

Hi Karl

That's exactly where I'm at. ;)

I sourced a good subframe, refurbished, Dinitrol etc, but just don't know how good the bushes are. I thought it was going to be easy to source new ones :eek:

I will wait a bit, then probably bite the bullet and have it fitted and 'Hope' :bowdown:

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

Typhoon190
29th May 2015, 23:04
Looks like I'm another fruitlessly looking for discontinued suspension parts. :(

Not had any joy with the rear lower arm inboard bushes. I'm going to take the rear subframe into work and try and press the solid ZT bushes out, to hopefully ascertain dimensions and material spec.

Could do with some assistance from X-part on this really.

milford man
30th May 2015, 10:26
Looks like I'm another fruitlessly looking for discontinued suspension parts. :(

Not had any joy with the rear lower arm inboard bushes. I'm going to take the rear subframe into work and try and press the solid ZT bushes out, to hopefully ascertain dimensions and material spec.

Could do with some assistance from X-part on this really.
Have you seen these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-Rover-75-Rear-Subframe-Mounting-Bushes-KHC000191-complete-set-of-4-/151697460797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2351df8e3d

Regards John

Typhoon190
30th May 2015, 10:50
Have you seen these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-Rover-75-Rear-Subframe-Mounting-Bushes-KHC000191-complete-set-of-4-/151697460797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2351df8e3d

Regards John

Thanks, yes, saw those. These are for the 75 though. The ZT subframe bushes are solid.

milford man
30th May 2015, 11:08
I know this but I thought you were absolutely stuck. Do you have measurements for the solid ones? If so any engineering firm could turn you some out on a lathe. If not buy these bushes and measure them and then get some made but out of solid. You can then sell the Rover bushes. You are not going to get new ZT bushes. There are no problems only solutions.

Regards John

wullie480
30th May 2015, 11:54
Thanks, yes, saw those. These are for the 75 though. The ZT subframe bushes are solid.

Will it make much difference though?

Typhoon190
30th May 2015, 13:03
Will it make much difference though?

Not sure, but it's too much work to find out that does IMHO. :o

I work for an engineering firm, so going to look into making replacements, it's just easier to buy bits ready made. :D

trimani
30th May 2015, 13:04

Regards John

Hi John

These look promising. I'm checking them out.

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

Typhoon190
30th May 2015, 13:05
I know this but I thought you were absolutely stuck. Do you have measurements for the solid ones? If so any engineering firm could turn you some out on a lathe. If not buy these bushes and measure them and then get some made but out of solid. You can then sell the Rover bushes. You are not going to get new ZT bushes. There are no problems only solutions.

Regards John

Thanks John. :} Fortunately I'm not stuck. This is for my project car. As if it wasn't enough work looking after one. :D

trimani
1st June 2015, 10:03
Hi John

These look promising. I'm checking them out.

Cheers

trimani (ALF) Originally Posted by milford man http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=2011373#post2011373)
Have you seen these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-Rove...item2351df8e3d (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-Rover-75-Rear-Subframe-Mounting-Bushes-KHC000191-complete-set-of-4-/151697460797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2351df8e3d)

Regards John

I've bought these 'Bushes' hoping they are correct, because they are so rare.

I've taken a chance on them because they are quoted as a 'Set' under part no. ........191, whereas the proper kit is two sets ....191 & ,..... 181.

Looking carefully at pictures two of the bushes look smaller then the other two, which is correct.

To good to miss, so have taken a chance on them.

trimani (ALF)

Arctic
1st June 2015, 10:34
Morning guys did anyone check out my post 20 link to these ?

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/southlakes/mounting-assembly-rear-subframe-khc000181-30298-p.asp

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/southlakes/mounting-assembly-rear-subframe-khc000180-30297-p.asp

trimani
1st June 2015, 20:12
Morning guys did anyone check out my post 20 link to these ?

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/southlakes/mounting-assembly-rear-subframe-khc000180-30297-p.asp

Hi arctic

:duh: Somehow I managed to miss the ekmpowershop link in post 20 :duh:

How stupid am I :shrug:

Anyway, I have ordered the set on ebay and hopefully OK, but if not I will be on to South Lakelands Minis to order.

Thank you very much for taking time to search, & post, and I sincerely apologize for missing it. :bowdown:

With apologies :bowdown:

trimani (ALF)

wullie480
1st June 2015, 20:16
Hi arctic

:duh: Somehow I managed to miss the ekmpowershop link in post 20 :duh:

How stupid am I :shrug:

Anyway, I have ordered the set on ebay and hopefully OK, but if not I will be on to South Lakelands Minis to order.

Thank you very much for taking time to search, & post, and I sincerely apologize for missing it. :bowdown:

With apologies :bowdown:

trimani (ALF)

Sometimes what south lake minis show on there system they don't have stock of.
I've bought a few items and after a few days you get a refund claiming no longer available so I always call to check before ordering.

The Mighty Quinn
1st June 2015, 20:30
Originally Posted by milford man http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=2011373#post2011373)
Have you seen these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-Rove...item2351df8e3d (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-Rover-75-Rear-Subframe-Mounting-Bushes-KHC000191-complete-set-of-4-/151697460797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2351df8e3d)

Regards John

I've bought these 'Bushes' hoping they are correct, because they are so rare.

I've taken a chance on them because they are quoted as a 'Set' under part no. ........191, whereas the proper kit is two sets ....191 & ,..... 181.

Looking carefully at pictures two of the bushes look smaller then the other two, which is correct.

To good to miss, so have taken a chance on them.

trimani (ALF)

That's good news Alf. Hopefully these will be the items you've been after. It can be a massive PITA trying to get some of these little pieces sometimes - please make sure you take all the measurements before putting them on the car, just in case they're the last set out there :)

Cheers,
Karl.

trimani
2nd June 2015, 06:24
Cheers Karl

Fingers crossed OK. I have spoken with the seller and sounds promising.

The difficulty is that most people don't realise they are two different size sets of two, not one same size of four (does that make sense :duh: ).

Anyways, here's hoping and thanks must go to milford man (John) who posted the original 'Link'.
Cheers

trimani (ALF)

mbev51
2nd June 2015, 07:59
hi
I've not got round to my rear subframe yet, it does look a bit rusty but probably just surface rust. According to rimmers parts diagram the rear subframe assembly comes with all 4 bushes but not the bolts, is that correct? I would of course prefer just to buy a new set of bushes.

trimani
2nd June 2015, 15:04
[QUOTE=mbev51;2013680]hi
I've not got round to my rear subframe yet, it does look a bit rusty but probably just surface rust. According to rimmers parts diagram the rear subframe assembly comes with all 4 bushes but not the bolts, is that correct? I would of course prefer just to buy a new set of bushes.[/

Hi mbev51

Yes your correct. Rimmers show the Subframe itself in stock, plus the Four Bolts, which I would renew anyway. The Bushes are a separate item and do not come with subframe.

The problem starts with them 'Bushes'. Which Rimmers do not have, and so it seems nor has anyone else.

I've managed to source both sets of 'Bushes', a '1 off' from ebay, but won't be dead sure their right until they arrive.

Arctics suggestion would be worth checking out. They show them as stock.

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/...81-30298-p.asp

Hope you sort it

Regards

trimani (ALF)

mbev51
2nd June 2015, 19:29
Alf, the rimmers diagram includes the bushes but not the bolts. Have they got it wrong?

trimani
2nd June 2015, 20:42
Alf, the rimmers diagram includes the bushes but not the bolts. Have they got it wrong?

Well when they show them on diagram they seem to me to be separate items.

The bushes are also listed as separate items on pricing list.

I have sent them an email to hopefully clarify.

Cheers

trimani (ALF)

mbev51
3rd June 2015, 07:04
Alf, if you look on the diagram you will see that component 1 the rear subframe assembly comes with everything that is enclosed in the dotted line box. That includes the 4 bushes but not the bolts and washes.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001554

If that turns out to be so in practice, it might be the only way to sort out the rear suspension. We need deep pockets to fully sort these cars out!

MN190
3rd June 2015, 10:36
They don't have any stock of the subframes and don't have an expected delivery date of replacement stock.
So this isn't an option atm

trimani
3rd June 2015, 13:42
Hi All

Well I have been in touch with Rimmers, and the Subframe, 4 Bolts, and 2 sets of bushes (4 in total) , are all separate items and have to be bought separately.
They do not have any stock of these items.

I have since received the 'Bushes' I bought on eBay, but haven't had chance to check yet if correct. Fingers crossed :}

trimani (ALF)

mbev51
3rd June 2015, 14:58
someone should point out to rimmers that their diagram has an error.

trimani
3rd June 2015, 18:11
someone should point out to rimmers that their diagram has an error.

I don't think the diagram is so much wrong as a bit misleading.

How I read them is the dotted line around sub assemblies are the to show what is part of that assembly, not part of the main item.

The separate numbers by the side of items is to show which item they are on the order/pricing/how many needed section.

That's how I read them anyway :shrug:

Anybody want to give me a kicking :cool:

trimani (ALF)

trimani
4th June 2015, 13:09
South Lakelands Minis are also showing stock of the subframe bushes, BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE THEM IN STOCK :eek::eek:

trimani (ALF)

Jordan Apex
4th June 2015, 13:42
South Lakelands Minis are also showing stock of the subframe bushes, BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE THEM IN STOCK :eek::eek:

trimani (ALF)

They always show everything in stock but rarely have any of it :duh:

Arctic
11th June 2015, 09:29
Hopefully soon I will know the size and can go searching but looking at this rear sub frame the bushes seem in good order, so would not need changing. Arctic ;)

Howie666
11th June 2015, 09:57
Hopefully soon I will know the size and can go searching but looking at this rear sub frame the bushes seem in good order, so would not need changing. Arctic ;)

Beautiful cleaning job there :)
Now I'n terrified of looking at mine :(

trimani
11th June 2015, 11:10

Hi Arctic

Can you post up size of bushes if you get them.

I have got recon subframe & brought 4 bushes on eBay, but not 100% sure bushes are correct. The centre bolt hole is the same for all four, which is OK. The length of all four look the same, but can't tell about outside diam of bushes. Rimmers quote them as two separate sets, but don't quote what the difference is. No stock anyway :shrug:

Is pictured subframe for sale, and would it fit 2001 Connie 2Ltr 6

If so can I ask how much ?

trimani (ALF)

BigRuss
11th June 2015, 11:34
While you're all on about rear subframes when you're refurbing them assemble and then tack weld the stupidly designed captive nuts to the subframe especially the upper arm ones be wise those rediculously thin holders for the nylock cative nuts to corrode which allow the thing to spin and you then cannot either tighten or loosen the bolts without removing the whole subframe ;)

Russ

Arctic
11th June 2015, 22:14
While you're all on about rear subframes when you're refurbing them assemble and then tack weld the stupidly designed captive nuts to the subframe especially the upper arm ones be wise those rediculously thin holders for the nylock cative nuts to corrode which allow the thing to spin and you then cannot either tighten or loosen the bolts without removing the whole subframe ;)

Russ Hi Russ.
Are you referring to the captive nuts in the photo below they seem to sit in a square pocket type fixing which is spot welded so the nut can move up and down, maybe so the bolt is easier to align when fitting? sub frame rust treated yesterday and second coat hammerite painted today Arctic.

bl52krz
11th June 2015, 23:00
Hi Steve. The picture number 4 looks like the rubber bush has started to crack around the edge.

DMGRS
11th June 2015, 23:06

trimani (ALF)

A lot of 'catalogue upload' sites who receive a stock file from XPart of 10,000s of items and simply upload it, will not reflect the true stock status.
Rimmers are better, as they hold their own stock of most parts, and update stock levels regularly. :)

BigRuss
11th June 2015, 23:23
Hi Russ.
Are you referring to the captive nuts in the photo below they seem to sit in a square pocket type fixing which is spot welded so the nut can move up and down, maybe so the bolt is easier to align when fitting? sub frame rust treated yesterday and second coat hammerite painted today Arctic.

Yes those are the ones ;)
The bolts are no harder to align with the captive nuts welded to the subframe ;)
But I do suggest assembling everything temporarily to weld them so that everything lines up properly ;)

Russ