PDA

View Full Version : Whiring noise

Kennyeth
21st March 2015, 06:25
2001 manual CDT Saloon 119,000 miles:
A few faults.
1:
I have a whiring type sound that seems to be coming in through drivers footwell/bottom of steering column engine area.
This sounds louder in lower gears.
Goes a little more quiet when warmed up a bit.
I think it sounds faster with increased speed but hard to tell.
2:
When pushing clutch pedal down there is a dull sound like it`s rubbing on something, kind of whoop.
3:
When blipping accelrator pedal there is a kind of creaking coming from front low down, I think that has to do with that mounting that looks like a tear drop with a hole at each end.
4:
On starting and turning off the engine there is a rattle that seems to come from under car rear seat area, it sounds loud, a bit twangy (is that a word) sharp not dull.
My car has had no recent work apart from a broken coil spring (3 in past 4 years) No work on clutch ever, but I do get a little judder now and then when it`s been stood a while. Engine has had vibration at around 2,000 RPM for several years.
The car has done very few miles in past 12 months and only 4,000 in the almost 6 years I have owned it.
I hope I have described it well enough.

The one thing missing in the English language are words for sounds, I think and educated member should compile a sound dictionary so the noises our cars make :D.
Ken.

Kennyeth
22nd March 2015, 04:17
I can`t believe no ones got an ideas on what they could be :shrug:
Ken.

Perrin
22nd March 2015, 05:46
Just some ides, but bear in mind I have a different engine to yours.

No.4 is probably exhaust related, rattling against the body somewhere.

No's 2 & 3 sound like pedal noises.
Do they still make the same noises when the engine isn't running?
Probably something needing greasing.

No.1 try turning off the air conditioning, see if the noise goes away. My compressor tends to drone through the dash when running.

Kennyeth
22nd March 2015, 07:45
Just some ides, but bear in mind I have a different engine to yours.

No.4 is probably exhaust related, rattling against the body somewhere.

No's 2 & 3 sound like pedal noises.
Do they still make the same noises when the engine isn't running?
Probably something needing greasing.

No.1 try turning off the air conditioning, see if the noise goes away. My compressor tends to drone through the dash when running.

4: I think you might be right on that, I`m in no condition to get down and give it a shake.
2&3: No, only makes noise when driving and in gear. What hydraulics are inline from pedal to clutch plate, is there a pump that could have a seal wearing out? I can`t explain what I`m trying to say as I know nothing of our clutch system.
Thanks for coming back to me.
Ken.

Not air con....going to have a listen more closely today