PDA

View Full Version : [request] basic tools to start with

Mats
21st March 2015, 10:09
Hi guys,

I would like to know whether you could help me with a small list of the most common tools I need to maintain my Rover 75. For example, I would like to know the must have wrench and spanner sizes and what else you think is important to have for a SMALL tool collection for oil change, dismantling bumpers and other attachment parts as well as interior work. I just started and need the basics.

My preferred brand up to now is WERA. Do you have experience with that brand and their tools? So far I only heard great stuff about it. Especially about the Wera Kraftform, Wera Zyklop, and Wera Joker.

It might sounds odd but after I moved from central Europe to England, I question everything. :duh: Is there a difference in measuring tool sizes?

Really appreciate your help. Thanks :)

Mats

Jordan Apex
21st March 2015, 10:28
I would get a screwdriver that has interchangeable heads, you know the ones where the driver itself is like a ratchet and you change the tips from cross head, to flat head to torx etc. That will allow you to do most interior pieces and the bumper screws and scrivets :)

13mm is quite a common bolt size: battery terminal, door hinge bolt and I am sure there are a few more. Wheel nuts are 17mm which is something I take off more than I would like :D

rosephus
21st March 2015, 10:38
I am also interested in getting a comprehensive tool kit. Be interested to read peoples suggestions.

Mats
21st March 2015, 10:59
Another thing I would like to ask is what rachet size you suggest.
Is it 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" or even 1"?

With my little experience I would go for the 3/8".
Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks for your help!

suzublu
21st March 2015, 11:03
1/2" drive for big stuff, 3/8" drive for everything else:shrug:

Jordan Apex
21st March 2015, 11:08
Another thing I would like to ask is what rachet size you suggest.
Is it 1/2" or 3/4"? With my little experience I would go for the 3/4".
Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks for your help!

entirely dependant on the situation; access and how tight the bolt is are the factors to consider, 3/4" will be easier to remove stubborn bolts but if it is a small bolt say 10mm head size somewhere in the engine bay then chances are you won't be able to get a 3/4" ratchet down there to undo it.

1/2" will be able to do most tasks including brakes, however you may start to struggle with things like hub nuts, pinch bolts and a few others. That being said those tasks I would personally say fall into a category of experienced home mechanic as a minimum (I wouldn't do them as I think it would be beyond my capabilities) so 1/2" would probably be better for you :)

Ste.Sales
21st March 2015, 11:16
Hi, i use a 20 year old halfords tool set. Most common socket sizes i use are 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm and 17mm. Used 3/8 wrench most of the time. If you ever plan on changing your brakes, you will need a 7mm hex socket - 7mm does not come in most allen key sets. Also get a decent spark plug socket too :)

mikesmith2
21st March 2015, 11:36
Aldi and Lidl do a very nice comprehensive set of sockets and spanners along with various hex and star bits.

When they have them they are £69

roverbarmy
21st March 2015, 11:47
A set of torx bits and deep sockets are often handy. A couple of lengths of steel tube can help with extra leverage on the end of your ratchet when things are really tight!;)
Mike

clf
21st March 2015, 11:51
every so often lidl will sell tools, and will often have small kits of screwdrivers, spanners, screwdriver bit sets (which included security torx bits too!) and socket sets. less than 15 pounds per set too! they are surprisingly good quality but NOT professional quality. they are certainly capable for most home mechanic's regular tasks.

I would also be on the look out for a half inch drive 30 piece socket set (or there abouts) for more heavy duty jobs under the bonnet or under the car.

I like having the multiple sets rather than one larger box because it makes it more convenient when working inside the car on say, the dash area.

over time you can add as you need to. I had to get a more specialized torx bit set for the seats and a longer torx bit for steering wheel. (which I will add a link too when I can for it was only 5.99)

link http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/homebase-folding-torx-key-set---8-pack-120157

ratchet
21st March 2015, 12:16
The best tip I could give anyone wanting to build up a tool set would be to get out of bed on a Sunday morning and have a walk around you local car bootfair.

Amongst the cheap tools you will often find a gem. Some of my recent finds have included a Sykes Pickavant 3 legged hub puller for £3, and one of these (unused) for £2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAMASA-HUGE-70-PIECE-HEX-ALLEN-STAR-TORX-KEY-BIT-SET-IN-CASE-SOFT-GRIP-/161417570972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25953caa9c

Mats
21st March 2015, 15:04
Thank you very much for your advice so far.

what do you think about the following combination?

1x WERA 4013288132215 (http://goo.gl/wKrCGM), already in my property and paid 30€
1x WERA 05004046001 (http://goo.gl/e6OH25), price in Germany ~100€
1x WERA 05051040001 (http://goo.gl/yNIdlt), price in Germany ~50€

fraz59
22nd March 2015, 10:40
that takes care of the ratchet and basic sockets and screwdriver

you will though still need a few spanners (wrench's) I would also say you will at the very least need a Spark plug socket, and some form of oil filter removal tool

kaiser
22nd March 2015, 11:42
That takes care of many of the implements.

The most important tool however is common sense and good judgement.

It seems to me you have that too, so I think you are A for away.:D

And just one piece of advice.

I think the best tool to buy is the best you can afford. You might have to look at it and use it for the next half century. No point in buying something you don't really like.

I remember my first torque wrench was a good looking Taiwanese unit. It broke. Then I looked at a Britool but it was twice or three times the price of the other Taiwanese wrench, that looked almost as good. I bought the Taiwanese unit.

It has been OK for many years, but it has a little "click" when on torque. You have to concentrate and switch off anything that makes a noise, or you can't hear or feel it. A Britool goes "CLANK" no mistaking that!

I have looked at that for the best part of 25 years and kicked myself for not going that extra mile all these years ago.

But when that is said, you can pay too much for tools, so you have to think and make a judgement, is it worth it or not.

If in doubt, sleep on it.;)

Mats
22nd March 2015, 12:13
And just one piece of advice.

I think the best tool to buy is the best you can afford. You might have to look at it and use it for the next half century. No point in buying something you don't really like.

[...]

I have looked at that for the best part of 25 years and kicked myself for not going that extra mile all these years ago.

But when that is said, you can pay too much for tools, so you have to think and make a judgement, is it worth it or not.

That's exactly my point of view, kaiser. You usually get what you pay for and I want tools I can absoutely rely on. Tools that make me smile everytime I put them to good use, nothing I rather want to burry somewhere and forget about my sins. I also like to buy things once knowing they will last and I treat them that way.

No offence to people who are happy with cheaper tools for whatever reason. Everybody can do as they please.

That's why I'm willing to pay a higher price (without going absolutely crazy). In a nutshell, it provides me with a higher life quality :D

Mats
22nd March 2015, 19:30
that takes care of the ratchet and basic sockets and screwdriver

you will though still need a few spanners (wrench's) I would also say you will at the very least need a Spark plug socket, and some form of oil filter removal tool

1x WERA 05020020002 (http://goo.gl/ick6aL)

From all your answers this seems to be a quite good entry set because it has all the needed sizes. :}

unimatrix1066
22nd March 2015, 19:50
Get a socket set for halfords the professional range, a trolley jack,stands , a torque wrench , mechnics creeper, oil catch tank and various screw drivers , scanners and pliers.
I ve built up a collection of tools over the years , there is always something you need for a job that you might have to buy.
I go to beaulieu to the autojumble every year and keep adding.

The wera tools I use at work are good quality like Bancho , but looking at the link there expensive , I would buy good quality but not nessary branded makes