PDA

View Full Version : RONBOX, any good, see this ad

Mangizmo
21st March 2015, 13:01
Any thoughts on one of these ???, thinking of buying one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-FREELANDER-TD4-00-06-SYNERGY-RONBOX-2A-MAF-DASH-SWITCH-/181631443120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4a13e0b0

wullie480
21st March 2015, 13:06
Any thoughts on one of these ???, thinking of buying one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-FREELANDER-TD4-00-06-SYNERGY-RONBOX-2A-MAF-DASH-SWITCH-/181631443120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4a13e0b0

Have a search on the forum for 160 upgrade.
Cheaper than the synergy & well recommended on here.

Number 6
21st March 2015, 13:57
have a search on the forum for 160 upgrade.
Cheaper than the synergy & well recommended on here.

wot he said;)

colintf
21st March 2015, 14:11
160 remap is the best way to go :}

And so much cheaper to :)

Coups
21st March 2015, 14:16
The remap is the way to go if you've a guru nearby....... If not the boxes do what they say on the tin. I've an 'Italian Speed' one. It's on my second 75 now and works well.

Mangizmo
21st March 2015, 14:37
The remap is the way to go if you've a guru nearby....... If not the boxes do what they say on the tin. I've an 'Italian Speed' one. It's on my second 75 now and works well.

Alas nobody anywhere near so hence my interest in these box gizmos

colintf
21st March 2015, 14:42

There a big club gathering at Haynes museum in May, see if someone can do it there for you. Driving up would still work out cheaper! :cool:

Mangizmo
21st March 2015, 14:47
There a big club gathering at Haynes museum in May, see if someone can do it there for you. Driving up would still work out cheaper! :cool:
OK sounds good, any more details ?

Number 6
21st March 2015, 16:09

The Main Man does a postal service if you can do without the car for a couple of days:shrug:

colintf
21st March 2015, 16:10
OK sounds good, any more details ?

Here you go http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=206318 :}

Mangizmo
21st March 2015, 16:40
Here you go http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=206318 :}

Would have been ideal, but I am on call that week so cant make it:mood::mood:

johnnyb44
21st March 2015, 16:42
Hi,
I had the Ron box fitted to my car and it did make quite a nice difference to the power output. I used it for around a month before taking it out and going for the remap The reason behind this was I felt the box made the car's performance feel course. Hard to explain but the power was all or nothing. The other reason is there's a few comments here that the boxes can give the h/p pump a hard time which can lead to failure. ( rare though ) The remap though absolutely transformed the car beyond all recognition. It now goes like stink (when I feel the need to ) and the power delivery feels like factory developed as opposed to the course all or nothing tunning box which at the end of the day is just basically a simple resistor controlling one aspect of your engine. The remap controls all aspects of your engine .,The remap is also visually invisible to, so if you do decide to go down the route of not declaring it to insurance the only way they would find out is to plug the ecu into a laptop. The tuning box sits there like a sore thumb advertising it self to unwanted eyes if it ever came to that situation.The morals of this subject have been talked to death here and I'm keeping well out of it.( he he) My advice is don't waste your money on a tunning box ( like I did ) Get yourself the 160 remap for less money and the enjoy a completely different beast of a car.
Johnny

Mangizmo
21st March 2015, 16:59
Hi,
Get yourself the 160 remap for less money and the enjoy a completely different beast of a car.
Johnny
Great answer and I will take your advise, thanks V

Departed 32016
21st March 2015, 17:09
I think the rover Ron synergy box is great, used it for over 2 years on my old zt with no issues, had a pierburg maf. Everyone on here thought they were amazing.

Went away from ownership for a couple of years, came back on here and now the general opinion seems to be negative towards them.

I have the 160 remap on my second zt, I would never refer to mine as being a flying machine totally transforming the car etc etc etc like others but I feel this is due to the fact my car is a 135ps as standard whereas most that get the remap and end up referring to it as a flying machine are the lesser 116ish models.

The rover Ron box fools the ecu and is adjustable and improves throttle response, acceleration and thus injects more fuel meaning unburnt comes out in the form of black smoke, this seems to be what most hate.

I've also tried the rover Ron box with the 160 remap. I won't tell you my opnion as that's sacrilege on here but I wasn't sad put it that way.

Avulon
22nd March 2015, 16:41
You could always do both... at the same time ;).

marinabrian
22nd March 2015, 22:04
You could always do both... at the same time ;).

You could, but I wouldn't recommend it ;)

c_9zWYxf9X4&feature=youtu.be

Not fantastic is it really :shrug:

Brian :D

A19_Graham
22nd March 2015, 22:09

Just what you'd expect from any Diesel really :shrug:

trikey
22nd March 2015, 22:09

That's the ozone gone!!