PDA

View Full Version : Manual Gearbox Problems - Rover 75 1.8 petrol

Richard_Jones
21st March 2015, 15:22
I wonder if anyone can help, please?

I am on holiday abroad in France and have met a fellow Rover 75 owner who has driven his 52 plate 175,000 mile car to the French Alps (via Paris). We were discussing cars and he mentioned that he has had an intermittent fault with gear selection on his car. I have found the solution to almost every issue I have had with my MG ZT via the forum so tried to find an answer to his problem, but have been unable to do so, hence I am writing this Post.

The issue is that it becomes difficult to engage any gear, the car is a 1.8 manual. The fault only occurs on a long journey when the outside temperature is hot, and once the car is left overnight it rights itself. When it occurs the only way to engage gear is to turn the engine off, engage gear and restart the car in gear.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Richard.

FrenchMike
21st March 2015, 15:53
Hi,

If Engine stopped,you can easily change all gears then it's likely a clutch related issue .:}

How is the clutch biting point ?
I guess ,it's near the floor..

Mike

chipsceola
21st March 2015, 16:12
Just a long shot but these cars suffer if wrong gear oil is used in gearbox and most general garages won't be aware it should be MTF94 specification, usually manifests itself with notchy gear changes, though never heard that temperature was involved, likely though a guru will advise shortly.

Richard_Jones
21st March 2015, 16:27
I know that the gearbox oil spec. is important on the diesels, but is it the same gearbox on the 1.8 petrol?

Also, is the clutch hydraulic or cable operated on the petrol car's gearbox? I was wondering that since it is temperature related if the clutch fluid needs changing. As obviously clutch fluid is heat sensitive - the older it gets the lower it's boiling point.

planenut
21st March 2015, 16:36
It is a hydraulic system and I suspect it needs a bleed; first and cheapest option. (if there's air in the system it will be affected by temperature, but not sure about this particular matter.)

Doc Evil
21st March 2015, 18:05
Hi the clutch fluid won't boil as it doesn't get the constant heat that the brakes receive
IMO it's likely to be the box oil level or type or if it's the original oil at 175k it's knackered and needs replacing
Doc

andy willi
24th March 2015, 06:53
slave cylinder is failing ,

trust me i know
andy