PDA

View Full Version : Oil escaping from engine cover bolt hole.....

ninaandphil
21st March 2015, 16:51
Hi, last weekend I did some work under the bonnet of my ZT CDTI, but didn't refit the engine sound cover or the cover bolts...

Today I noticed oil under the car, and on further investigation, found that oil was coming out of the engine cover bolt hole, the one at the back / drivers side... I guess that the bolt hole goes through into the timing chain /camshafts (ish) putting the bolt back seems to have stopped any leakage, but I was wondering if this bolt hole can be an escape route for oil if not plugged, or do I have a bigger issue?

Any thoughts would be welcome.....

Cheers Phil

steve811
21st March 2015, 16:55
From what I understand the hole was not drilled all the way through at manufacture, but if someone at some point has fitted a longer bolt it will have gone through and opened up the hole into the casing. I had this on my last 75 and so from then on always re-fitted the bolt!

MSS
21st March 2015, 17:02
Have aread of this thead.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=210785

klarzy
21st March 2015, 17:03
Have this on one of mine too.... just put a bolt in the hole if working with the cover off...

Tam
21st March 2015, 18:17
Yep oil comes out mine as well when engine running :duh:

ninaandphil
21st March 2015, 18:33
Thanks all... did think it was that simple, but wanted to make sure!! It's not just me then.... :-)

Arctic
21st March 2015, 18:48
Thanks all... did think it was that simple, but wanted to make sure!! It's not just me then.... :-)

Hi Phil.
add a smaller bolts to that hole/fixing point 15mm in length instead of 20mm so it will not catch the timing chain ;)

RPWC
21st March 2015, 21:30
same on my previous cdt

ninaandphil
21st March 2015, 23:00
Hi Phil.
add a smaller bolts to that hole/fixing point 15mm in length instead of 20mm so it will not catch the timing chain ;)

Will do.... thanks for the suggestion, makes sense!!
Cheers
Phil

Billy1mate
21st March 2015, 23:06
It's ok putting the correct length bolt in but how do you stop the oil? The bolt on its own won't.

Arctic
21st March 2015, 23:48
It's ok putting the correct length bolt in but how do you stop the oil? The bolt on its own won't.

Hi Ade.
I vaguely touched on this before but never got round to doing it, or trying it for anyone as off yet, but you can use plastic number plate bolt cut down and screw that in first.

measurements would need to be taken so when the shorter bolt is added it will not push the plastic screw plug into the chamber, it is a possible ? using the yellow or white would allow you to see it better, also the plain part could be cut of before fitting.

Kennyeth
22nd March 2015, 05:57
I ran my Saloon for a couple of weeks last summer with top cover off but never noticed any oil spill, but I were not looking for it, would it have been plain to see??
Artic, you sent me a spare bolt, remember??
Ken.

Billy1mate
22nd March 2015, 07:24
My car is ok but my mates Freelander has this problem and I have been wondering how to sort it. Thank you Arctic that's very helpful.

DMGRS
22nd March 2015, 17:31
I have one of a few without this problem - all of my previous 75s and ZTs have had this issue. :eek: