PDA

View Full Version : Has My KV6 Headgasket gone?

Danger_MouseUK
21st March 2015, 17:26
I have a facelift MG ZT 190, it has been running fine, except maybe a little vibration occasionally at idle.

It's never overheated at all, the temp gauge has never got past 9 o'clock. No steam from the coolant tank and no watermarks on the drive.

I was doing my checks today and noticed that that the coolant was a little low, I put about half a whisky glass of water in, or less, and it's back to a little over max if i'm honest.

I checked the V crevice and found about an eggcup of water in there, time for a new thermostat and housing then.

Checked the dipstick, and decided to add a splash of oil, took the cap of an had the shock of my life... mayo on the cap!

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near enough for a sandwich, but it nearly gave me a stroke all the same.

I went finished up and went online to see what the damage was going to be. I saw on on forum, can't remember which one, that if you only do shore journeys then condensation can build up in the head and because it's not burnt off, this can cause some emulsification.

How accurate is this? It would fit as I only live 5 minutes from work, and I rarely go anywhere more than 10-15 mins away.

Other than obviously getting the thermostat sorted asap, what should I do? As I said the car has been running fine, if I hadn't had found the mayo today, I'd never have though anything was wrong. Should I give it a long run and try to burn off some of the moisture. Should I do an oil change and see what happens. Or should I just carry on as normal but do oil changes more frequently?

Having seen some of the quotes people have had, I'd really like it to be nothing, but am I just burying my head in the sand?

Typhoon190
21st March 2015, 17:31
Very likely to be short trips causing a build up of condensation. Quite unlikely to be HGF. Check the breather system is clear, especially the small diameter holes in the cam covers. :}

Worth treating the both of you to a few quids worth of fuel, and a decent journey every so often too. ;)

Doc Evil
21st March 2015, 18:23
I fully concur with above short journeys like that probably don't get the car up to temperature even as said take it out for a good long run every so often

Doc

Juego
21st March 2015, 19:17
Girlfriends clio was notorious for mayo on the oil cap due to short distances not drying the moisture out. My ZT-T will be the same as the car doesn't move much at all. Although it's not happened yet.

bl52krz
21st March 2015, 21:18
I used to get the salad dressing in my Rover 2.6and 3.5. Short journeys of 8miles each way to work were the problem. Used to take them for a good fast run on the weekend, and the cover the engine with the wife's old coat. Cured the problem. Forgot to take it off sometimes before going to work. Ooopppsss

kaiser
22nd March 2015, 04:55
inlet manifold gaskets

Danger_MouseUK
22nd March 2015, 06:19
inlet manifold gaskets

Care you elaborate? :}

kaiser
22nd March 2015, 06:56
Between the two aluminium inlets and the heads are two composite gaskets. They seal against oil, water and petrol. The water channels are close to the two outer inlet valves on both sides.
A compromised gasket will give water loss and water into the outer cylinders, which cause misfire and hesitation on start up.
I think they were your symptoms?, and this, then, is most likely the cause.
They are relatively easy to change and inexpensive. After change, nip them up after a couple of weeks, as they easily do leak if not tight.
There is a lot of vacuum on idle especially, and the gaskets will allow water into the cylinders if given half a chance.
To confirm, look for water under the oil filler cap.

Elaborate enough??:D

Danger_MouseUK
22nd March 2015, 09:46
Between the two aluminium inlets and the heads are two composite gaskets. They seal against oil, water and petrol. The water channels are close to the two outer inlet valves on both sides.
A compromised gasket will give water loss and water into the outer cylinders, which cause misfire and hesitation on start up.
I think they were your symptoms?, and this, then, is most likely the cause.
They are relatively easy to change and inexpensive. After change, nip them up after a couple of weeks, as they easily do leak if not tight.
There is a lot of vacuum on idle especially, and the gaskets will allow water into the cylinders if given half a chance.
To confirm, look for water under the oil filler cap.

Elaborate enough??:D

haha, just about.

Do you mean water under the filler cap on the outside of the block? There was a bit of dampness down there but i assumed it was WD40 over-spray.

kaiser
22nd March 2015, 13:52
A hot engine with water or emulsion under the oil filler cap, indicates and excess of water. That comes from a crack or a broken seal into the cooling system.

DMGRS
22nd March 2015, 17:23
The V6 is prone to 'mayo' from short journeys, however very rarely (I've never seen one yet) is it HGF.
They do suffer from HGF to a very small degree, however due to the MLS gasket design of the V6 this is usually from cylinder to coolant, causes excess coolant pressurising with no oil contamination.

With regards to the thermostat, I have decent kits in at a good price here:
KV6 Thermostat Kit - All Models (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/thermostats-and-waterpumps/products/kv6-thermostat-kit-45-zs-75-zt-2-0-and-2-5-v6-pem101050)

Good luck. :)

SD1too
22nd March 2015, 20:34
.. mayo on the cap!

... if you only do short journeys then condensation can build up in the head and because it's not burnt off, this can cause some emulsification ... It would fit as I only live 5 minutes from work, and I rarely go anywhere more than 10-15 mins away.
Hello Mike,

Your reasoning above is correct. You do not have a problem with a head gasket. You're just not allowing your engine to run properly at normal operating temperature.

Walk, cycle or catch the bus to work, then take your car for a good run every weekend, and change the oil every 3,000 miles.

Simon

Doc Evil
22nd March 2015, 20:41
Hello Mike,

Your reasoning above is correct. You do not have a problem with a head gasket. You're just not allowing your engine to run properly at normal operating temperature.

Walk, cycle or catch the bus to work, then take your car for a good run every weekend, and change the oil every 3,000 miles.

Simon

What's Cycle:D

Doc

kaiser
23rd March 2015, 08:51
What's Cycle:D

Doc

A Rover is a bicycle in Polish and Czech, look it up!;)

Doc Evil
23rd March 2015, 22:02
A Rover is a bicycle in Polish and Czech, look it up!;)

No Kaiser you misunderstood I've never heard of the word, nothing would get me on a bike, the vision of overweight men in skin tight lycra is a haunting one
The internal combustion engine was God's way of keeping that look off the roads and any sane man would be mad to forego it's use in the the interest of allowing his wobbly bits to be aired in public

Doc

Danger_MouseUK
26th March 2015, 00:56
Hello Mike,

Simon

I've always said I should run or bike to work... but at 3 in the morning, or 7 after nights, I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I just want my bed too much lol.