PDA

View Full Version : Cdt engine vibration.....

albert81
21st March 2015, 19:16
Replaced my crankshaft pulley today hoping to cure my engine vibration,re-fited my hydramount ( 8 months old) and the vibration is still there (only at idle)..
I'm out of ideas cause everything else it's been done....changed all the mounts,clutch replacement including DMF-LUK....
Just have to learn and leave with it....

klarzy
21st March 2015, 19:25
Replaced my crankshaft pulley today hoping to cure my engine vibration,re-fited my hydramount ( 8 months old) and the vibration is still there (only at idle)..
I'm out of ideas cause everything else it's been done....changed all the mounts,clutch replacement including DMF-LUK....

Hydromount position? has been known to make a differance

albert81
21st March 2015, 19:27
That's been replaced with a genuine one from Rimmers....8 months ago....

klarzy
21st March 2015, 19:28
That's been replaced with a genuine one from Rimmers....8 months ago....

but some vibration can be reduced just by shifting the unit slightly with the bolts cracked to settle it into a new position.

albert81
21st March 2015, 19:33
It's not some vibration......it's a serious one....i can feel it through the seats,steering wheel, bonnet,drivers door.....even the front bumper BUT only at idle.If i increase the revs by 100-300 the vibration is gone.
As for your suggestion sir.....i shifted the engine in every position and still no joy....

klarzy
21st March 2015, 19:34
It's not some vibration......it's a serious one....i can feel it through the seats,steering wheel, bonnet,drivers door.....even the front bumper BUT only at idle.If i increase the revs by 100-300 the vibration is gone.
As for your suggestion sir.....i shifted the engine in every position and still no joy....

have you had the injector balance checked then?

albert81
21st March 2015, 19:36
That's been done sir.....and you were sitting next to me.....

klarzy
21st March 2015, 19:39
not far out are they?

klarzy
21st March 2015, 19:41
the only other thing I can think of apart from the likes of a cracked crank or imbalanced auxiliary wheel (pump, etc) ( have you tried idling for a few secs with the aux belt off?), would be a lazy exhaust valve which sticks enough to make the engine lumpy at idle speeds?

albert81
21st March 2015, 19:49
After i replaced the pulley....i started the engine,without the belt......and was still vibrating....
Could u pls tell me where ia that exhaust valve located.....i'm willing to try anything....

klarzy
21st March 2015, 19:51
After i replaced the pulley....i started the engine,without the belt......and was still vibrating....
Could u pls tell me where ia that exhaust valve located.....i'm willing to try anything....

inside the head, probably 2 to each cylinder and if I remember correctly hydraulically actuated...? could one of the Gurus tell me if this is a possibility?

albert81
21st March 2015, 19:52
Ups..... (inside the head) that sounds a bit more than i can handle.....lol

Mike Noc
21st March 2015, 20:10
inside the head, probably 2 to each cylinder and if I remember correctly hydraulically actuated...? could one of the Gurus tell me if this is a possibility?

In the absence of any Gurus I reckon if you had a problem with the hydraulic tappets you would hear them tapping.

The valves aren't hydraulically actuated, but actuated mechanically by the cam lobes. The hydraulics only take up the clearances which vary from when the engine is cold to when it reaches operating temperature.

Mike Noc
21st March 2015, 20:19

I'm sure I read that the idle speed can be adjusted with a T4 Albert. Maybe worth asking one of the T4 Gurus if they can check that the engine is idling at the correct speed.

shiner
21st March 2015, 20:29
Had the same on ours feel free to browse through my old posts, fixed after loads of attempts, it was the frontpipe, have a look through and post a link if you want to 👍

albert81
21st March 2015, 20:30
I had the car on t4....and the engine idle is at the right spot according to Phil....

albert81
21st March 2015, 20:32
Could you please be a bit more specific about......what do you mean by front pipe.....

shiner
21st March 2015, 20:39
Please look at the thread it will help you its very extensive

bl52krz
21st March 2015, 20:42
Have you checked the mounting on the rear of the lower engine. Tear-drop bearing.

shiner
21st March 2015, 20:51
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1512019

albert81
21st March 2015, 21:03
Tryed a few engine mounts.... end up buying the genuine article as these two are not good enough. ...

Mickyboy
21st March 2015, 21:09
The yellow one looks like a power flex bush, I thought that were normaly good? They are usually expensive.

albert81
21st March 2015, 21:21
Well.....i've also had the big red one.....there both NOT as good as the genuine one.....

Mickyboy
21st March 2015, 21:26
Well.....i've also had the big red one.....there both NOT as good as the genuine one.....

I presume some are to stiff?

albert81
21st March 2015, 21:39
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1954902
Now that's really interesting.....i shall find out tomorrow if the exhaust is the culprit.....

rosephus
21st March 2015, 22:26
I thought my vibration was the lower engine mount. Had it replaced with OEM but no difference. Thought it could be hydramount but at only 62k miles mine looks fine. Jules checked it over and said the same.

My vibration comes and goes. Nothing at idle but at 1700rpm or so the rear view mirror goes fuzzy. Go over 2500rpm and its crystal clear. Weird behavior really!

Sometimes all my pedals buzz a bit. Sometimes they dont. Sometimes I get some road buzz through the steering wheel but sometimes not.

I have just accepted thats the way it is. I could replace the hydramount and crank pulley and it be neither of those things. Why waste the money when its an intermittent issue I tell myself.

Arctic
22nd March 2015, 00:26
Could you please be a bit more specific about......what do you mean by front pipe.....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1512019

Andrew is referring to this below :}

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=167335&page=9

albert81
22nd March 2015, 21:20
Anyone.....any suggestions.....
I've adjusted the exhaust hangers and still no luck.....

andrewinpopayan
22nd March 2015, 23:23

Just spank the thing, engines aren't designed to be idled, the redline is only a warning, not a ceveat. :D

Billy1mate
23rd March 2015, 05:40

Isn't the yellow mount for Diesel engined cars & red for petrol?:shrug:

albert81
23rd March 2015, 05:46
Originally Posted by albert81 (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1954945)<br />
Well.....i've also had the big red one.....there both NOT as good as the genuine one.....<br />
<br />
Isn't the yellow mount for Diesel engined cars & red for petrol?:shrug:<br/>
No mate....the yellow one is the latest version for diesel models....

Arctic
23rd March 2015, 09:23
Ade & Albert.
Both the yellow mount with slots cut out and the red power flex one are or were for the diesel, with the yellow one I only ever used/use them with the original mount centre as it as a nylon bush inserted into the metal centre.

This as made a difference on some car but not others so I have heard, the other one you used the Chinese one is for a petrol car, as you have stated you have now fitted an OEM one does it have the letter T stamped on it if not and as an M or P then they are for petrol engine too.

Have you checked the gear box mount to see if that is ok, also are your lower wish bone bushes in good condition and lets not forget the anti roll bar bushes, again these have all been tried before for some it worked others not.

albert81
23rd March 2015, 09:25
Thank you for your input sir....
My genuine mount has T stamped on it.....got it from Rimmers....
As for the gearbox mount...that's also been replaced with a genuine one from Rimmers