PDA

View Full Version : Audi auto problem

jonathan63
22nd March 2015, 13:02
I know its not a Rover problem but the Audi forums I have registered on are rubbish.

We have an Audi A4 1.8T Auto (petrol) and my Rover CDT Tourer.
Rover is perfect but the Audi does not accelerate when I put my foot down,
The engine revs increase but that is not transmitted into more speed, at least not as quickly as it should.
It's find for pottering around town but on the open road there is no chance of overtaking and wont gain speed at all up hills.

What could be wrong??:shrug:

Cheers

Kev75
22nd March 2015, 13:22
Fluid level.Has the fluid ever been changed.Possibly torque converter.Try a stall test,Put in gear hold brakes on hard, full throttle and see what it revs too.Cannot recall any figures but
I think if much over 2k the converter is us.

Kev

jonathan63
22nd March 2015, 13:25
And if the converter is US, is it an expensive fix?

SD1too
22nd March 2015, 16:13
Jonathan,

Phone JPAT (http://www.jpat.co.uk/) for the price of a rebuilt unit then fit it yourself. But check the fluid level first. Don't assume the worst.

Simon

Paulifa1
22nd March 2015, 16:28
What mileage is on the car?

From back when I ran Audi's the consensus was to change the fluid (proper Audi fluid only!) and the filter in the pan every 40K, despite Audi's insistence it was filled for life. :duh:

I ran A8's and their boxes were generally ruined once over 100K-120K if the fluid had never been changed, I assume A4's would be similar.

As stated above, a fluid and filter change is probably the first port of call.

A4 Transmissions are much easier/nicer to change if you do have to than our 75 units as it's a traditional longitudinal unit behind the engine and the drive shafts disconnect from flanges using 6 bolts, none of that pulling them out the box nonsense!

Your symptoms do sound like the torque converter might be at fault though.

jonathan63
22nd March 2015, 17:05
Thanks guys.

Quickly getting peed off by this Audi. Only bought it a month ago from an independent dealer in Manchester. Couldnt use for the first 2 weeks because the bonnet wouldnt stay latched down. No hot air from the heater vents. Radio *****. Only done about 200 miles in it and now this.

DMGRS
22nd March 2015, 17:11
I'd definitely go in with a fluid (and filter if it has one) change. A fluid change in my ZT-T turned it into a different car. :)

topman
22nd March 2015, 17:23
Thanks guys.

Quickly getting peed off by this Audi. Only bought it a month ago from an independent dealer in Manchester. Couldnt use for the first 2 weeks because the bonnet wouldnt stay latched down. No hot air from the heater vents. Radio *****. Only done about 200 miles in it and now this.

what does the dealersay or should I even ask!

jonathan63
22nd March 2015, 17:25
what does the dealersay or should I even ask!

Not had chance to mention this auto problem to him yet. Will do tomorrow though. looks like it will be another 200 mile round trip though.

SD1too
22nd March 2015, 20:01
Naaah, you must be mistaken Jonathan. Everyone knows only MG Rovers are like that. Every other car on the road just lasts forever, nothing ever goes wrong with them.

Simon :D

clf
23rd March 2015, 00:20
Thanks guys.

Dont do anything on your own, until you give the dealer the opportunity to solve this. You may or may not have bought the car with any kind of warranty, however, as a dealer (have this checked or confirmed with citizen's advice - so you can quote any legal statutes if he avoids the issue) he has a responsibility to supply a product fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. I was told when I had an issue a few years ago, that this was, as a rule of thumb, three months (of course my problem surfaced four months after purchase!:duh:) If you do try to rectify the issue without his knowledge, he can quite easily wash his hands from the issue. IE you have it repaired and try to get compensated by the dealer.