PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - NSF Suspension Spring

3pinplug
22nd March 2015, 16:08
Hi all

I have a 51 plate 2.0 V6 Rover 75 SE (Petrol / manual) which I parked up last Tuesday, just got in it today to drive it and moved it down drive and it was making a horrendous noise! I have had a look and the NSF spring seems to have snapped???? and is now in contact with the inside of the tyre. How its done this whilst being parked up I have no idea but pleased it did this whilst I wasn't driving it.

Can someone advise on the following two options:-
1. If I were to buy a secondhand full stut with spring all fitted etc are they all the same providing it covers my year?

2. If I buy just the spring is there different coloured ones and what one would I need is it as simple as just quoting reg / model or do I need to confirm whats fitted?

Cannot believe I now have this to do I have never worked on a car so much!

Regards

Mark

Doc Evil
22nd March 2015, 16:44
Hi
you could fit a second hand one but I would not recommend this but that's my personal choice

If you lift the rear seat base you will find the colour of spring used but you could just fit a pair of generic springs from ecp or other motor factor
it's best to fit a pair as if one has gone the other may not be far behind

Doc

3pinplug
22nd March 2015, 17:02
Hi Doc Evil
Thanks for the pointer, I hope you don't mind me asking but is it just a case of tugging on the rear seat base to lift it to get at the sticker or are there any bolts or clips you have to undo? Not lifted one before.

With regard to the secondhand one I cant see that the lip at the bottom has broken I suspect the spring due to the bit touching the tyre but if I need to buy the whole unit are they all the same?

Regards

Mark

DMGRS
22nd March 2015, 17:15
I'd strongly recommend fitting new springs only to our cars - they do seem quite prone to snapping, and a second hand item could be close too. The last thing you want is to do it all again! :)

Also, while it's all apart fit a set of Spring Protectors - these are designed to stop the tyre and spring making contact in the event of a failure, and seem to work in a lot of cases.
Spring protectors: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RSC000131

By the letter of the book you should only replace the springs with the same colour coding, however if changing in pairs (as you always should with springs) for aftermarket items, you should be OK. KYB do have them listed - they're available on eBay. The same springs fit the 2.0 and 2.5 V6 models.

3pinplug
25th March 2015, 10:32
ok thanks for the info much appreciated, another member said I will need to lift the rear seat base to find the sticker with the colour spring required. But have had a look and looks like I need to fashion a tool as even lifting the rear seat looks quite an operation.

Not good news that springs break easily as that's quite a safety hazard and another blackmark against the vehicle. I have only owned this a short time and of all the cars I have ever owned and maintained it feels like its never ending in both money and the amount of work I have done on it, I hope things settle down soon or I may have to consider something else as the cost is soon going to outstrip the worth of the vehicle. Its my daily driver and unfortunately there comes a point where you have to weigh up sinking anymore money into it. Having just come out of hospital I am now signed off for six weeks and cant do this myself as I normally would so no choice bit to garage it wich I don't normally do so this will now ramp up even further costs.

The joys of motoring!

Groundhog
25th March 2015, 10:48
I can sympathise with you on this it happened to me yesterday, It also damaged a new fitted tyre and other jobs needed doing have arisen.

Personally I wouldn't put it down as a black mark against our cars as a broken spring can break on any make of car. You were lucky it snapped whilst parked as the majority do while stationary (or so I'm told)

ceedy
25th March 2015, 11:15
As said ... not just ours ... My Dads Merc B class has just had 2 rear springs go under 40k .. and it hardly used nowadays ? :shrug:

C.

I can sympathise with you on this it happened to me yesterday, It also damaged a new fitted tyre and other jobs needed doing have arisen.

Personally I wouldn't put it down as a black mark against our cars as a broken spring can break on any make of car. You were lucky it snapped whilst parked as the majority do while stationary (or so I'm told)

chris75
25th March 2015, 16:56
The driver of the recovery vehicle that took me home after I had a spring break told me that broken springs are their best earner these days ! It is happening to all makes and models so not just a Rover thing :}

3pinplug
25th March 2015, 20:37
Yes glad it broke whilst on drive as would have been nasty if driving, I will get someone to pop the rear seat for me and see what colour spring the sticker says under the seat. Is the sticker obvious when you lift the seat base?
Thanks
Mark

klarzy
25th March 2015, 20:43
The driver of the recovery vehicle that took me home after I had a spring break told me that broken springs are their best earner these days ! It is happening to all makes and models so not just a Rover thing :}

lean manufacturing and pot holes....

Glen B
27th March 2015, 13:13
My OSF spring snapped on my 2003 CDT last year about half a mile away from my house whilst towing a trailer of rubbish to the nearby recycling center. I managed to crawl back home slowly to unhook the trailer and also to my nearest garage after ordering a new set of springs from Andrew Page at Mansfield who asked my registration number of the car for the right springs. Needless to say, I also ended up buying a new tyre after ruining the winter tyre I had on as it was January. Apart from anti roll bar bushes, which I am going to order, my whole front suspension has now been replaced over the last 3 years.

jonno12
27th March 2015, 18:54
i have just had the same problem, my "colours" were actually on the broken spring. i phoned best of british to order a pair and he knew my car was a later one, i'm sure with your details he would know which ones you needed. worth a phone call.

3pinplug
1st June 2015, 06:49
Hi all
Just to follow up, guy I have known at my local garage said common occurrence on the 75 he has had loadsin over the years. I mentioned about taking the back seat out and looking at sticker but said first he'd heard of that, all sorted and fitted including parts for £80, including collection (via trailer as not driveable)and delivery (drove car back)back to my house, well to be honest he does live almost opposite me!
Thanks for all who posted, well with "Never Ending Story" as I have fondly named her it's on to the next issue, just waiting for it to happen heheheh!
Regards
Mark