PDA

View Full Version : V6 exhaust on a diesel tourer.

spyder
22nd March 2015, 19:57
Eventually got around to fitting the exhaust I ordered from Germany. It is for a V6 and as above fitted to my Diesel tourer.

Main reason for going this route, aside from price, was the OEM type of hanger with a metal band clamped and not welded to the box.

The unit fitted well with careful measuring and cutting of the existing pipe just behind the ant-rill bar. The flange slipped on with a snug fit, secured by the cheaper type of clamp, with no movement.

The rear pipes are shorter and I may weld the OEM ones in their place, but if their is no diesel smell in the cabin, I may just leave it.

Is it too noisy? Not really, but definitely not as quiet as the OEM one, hopefully it will get a bit quieter when it carbons up a bit. For £27 plus £16 for postage, I hope this was the way to go.:shrug:

Rick-sta
27th March 2015, 11:17
good work :) quite a few people have asked about this before so it's good to see the answer :)

Rick

MangoMan
27th March 2015, 16:02
Eventually got around to fitting the exhaust I ordered from Germany. It is for a V6 and as above fitted to my Diesel tourer.

Main reason for going this route, aside from price, was the OEM type of hanger with a metal band clamped and not welded to the box.

The unit fitted well with careful measuring and cutting of the existing pipe just behind the ant-rill bar. The flange slipped on with a snug fit, secured by the cheaper type of clamp, with no movement.

The rear pipes are shorter and I may weld the OEM ones in their place, but if their is no diesel smell in the cabin, I may just leave it.

Is it too noisy? Not really, but definitely not as quiet as the OEM one, hopefully it will get a bit quieter when it carbons up a bit. For £27 plus £16 for postage, I hope this was the way to go.:shrug:

Is this the one I got the price of from Germany Craig?

chris75
27th March 2015, 16:25
Your original clamp in photo 4 seems to have been modified a little ?:getmecoat:
Love the piece of chain !

spyder
27th March 2015, 18:29
Is this the one I got the price of from Germany Craig?

Yes it is Bill.;)

spyder
27th March 2015, 18:30
Your original clamp in photo 4 seems to have been modified a little ?:getmecoat:
Love the piece of chain !

It was on there for 3 years and still going strong. Ill send you a link.:p:

spyder
2nd April 2015, 15:24
Just an update on this;

Still a bit noisy on hard acceleration only -but actually sounds quite good.

No Noticeable exhaust fumes so far at all.

Just passed it's MOT so no problem on that front either.

Craig.

Departed 32016
2nd April 2015, 16:19
I've just bought a new back box to be fitted, so brought it to work, just found out the cats gone so need a new one, ebay £62,

So all in all it will cost

Backbox £58
Cat with flexi etc... £62
Fitting kit £5
64 mm clamp £2.32
Labour £30

Less than £160....

Probably get £20 from scrappy for cat too

I think that's great and any garage could do it. Much less than £500 kwik fit etc will charge...

spyder
2nd April 2015, 18:42
My Cat has also gone, took me about an hour to remove it many years ago. So between that and the less restrictive back box, the turbo revs nice and freely.

Greeners
2nd April 2015, 19:55
looks good, wish they'd do a ZTT one

peelaaa
3rd April 2015, 12:25
I've just bought a new back box to be fitted, so brought it to work, just found out the cats gone so need a new one, ebay £62,

So all in all it will cost

Backbox £58
Cat with flexi etc... £62
Fitting kit £5
64 mm clamp £2.32
Labour £30

Less than £160....

Probably get £20 from scrappy for cat too

I think that's great and any garage could do it. Much less than £500 kwik fit etc will charge...

Where did you buy the cdti backbox, mine looking ropey!

Jay
3rd April 2015, 12:57
Would this also work on a diesel saloon, spyder ? :}

spyder
3rd April 2015, 13:05
Would this also work on a diesel saloon, spyder ? :}

Probably better, I think the saloon exhaust is closer to the bumper, ie shorter outlet pipes. The bigger OEM box must have more muffling but so far it is working for me.

As mentioned before, the separate mounting ring was the important part for me.