PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Pipe Repair

ardvark
23rd March 2015, 17:47
Has any member repaired an alloy air con pipe with a 1/2" brass compression fitting? The type used in domestic plumbing?

Doc Evil
23rd March 2015, 21:25
Never tried but it could work if it's a tight fit for the olive also I would use stag jointing compound on the fitting or similar as I think the gas may leak past the joints without some additional sealant worth a try
Doc

Mike Noc
24th March 2015, 07:51
How about a Swagelok compression fitting?

http://www.swagelok.com/products/fittings.aspx

HarryM1BYT
24th March 2015, 08:38
Has any member repaired an alloy air con pipe with a 1/2" brass compression fitting? The type used in domestic plumbing?

Very unlikely to work, I would have thought - the pipe is quite thin wall, when compared to domestic pipes.

A/C engineers use a swaged and crimped fitting.

DMGRS
24th March 2015, 11:23
We did a friend's with a compression fitting - it held gas for 6 months, but there could well have been a leak elsewhere too. This was on a Rover 600 diesel, which are awful for holding their A/C gas! :D

beinet1
25th March 2015, 08:09
I repaired the 8mm A/C tube on mine using a Stainless Swagelok fitting. I just cut out the damaged section and joined the pipes with the swagelok. Still tight on its 4th year.

Doc Evil
25th March 2015, 19:25
Looks like the Swagelok fittings are the way to go a useful piece of information
Thanks
Doc

Catman
7th April 2015, 12:26
I fixed my Rover 600 with a Splice-Lok from eBay (similar to a compression fitting but also has "o" rings), its been on for well over a year now without any leaks:} not cheap though at £25, but there again much cheaper than a new pipe if it was available.