PDA

View Full Version : A sad anniversary.

egremont
7th April 2015, 13:59
Within the hour here in Australia, it will be 8th. April.
It is hard to believe that it will be 10 years since the production of our fine cars ceased.
If only!
It has been said that at that time, MG Rover was contributing two billion pounds in foreign exchange earnings for the U.K.
Though no longer available, its style has not dated and provided parts supply doesn't dry up, I will be happy to retain it.
It amazes me how people refer to my car as a Jaguar or a baby Bentley. Recently I was stopped by a lady wanting to know where she could buy one - more appealing she said than her new Jag. During our short discussion (I was in line on a vehicular ferry about to disembark) I mentioned it's new price. She was astonished, remarking "that's cheap for a Rolls Royce".
An automotive engineer recently remarked that my 75 will still be giving good service for another 25 years.
I have prattled on too long.
But it is a sad anniversary, at least for me.

gazcaz
7th April 2015, 14:06
Here Here well said :clap:like i said people stop and stare :D

Southside
7th April 2015, 14:12
Bbc WM radio station are doing a special aniversary show tommorow night about it all. Can be listened to online if you don't live in the Midlands area.

normanmg2000
7th April 2015, 16:37
Well said,sad day for everyone concerned,and enthusiasts, still cant really believe it,hope the parts are available for many years to come,as I have "SEVERAL" to maintain.

Dallas
7th April 2015, 17:11
Well said Bruce. :bowdown
I suppose these beautiful cars are very rare in Australia. :eek:

I much prefer the 75 & ZT rather than the Jag, many times people comment thinking the 75 is a jag.

Who actually owns the name ROVER in 2015?

Jordan Apex
7th April 2015, 17:19

I much prefer the 75 & ZT rather than the Jag, many times people comment thinking the 75 is a jag.

Land rover own it

Well I suppose it's JLR now

Dallas
7th April 2015, 17:21
Land rover own it

Well I suppose it's JLR now

Do Tata Motors still own Land Rover?

So they could easily start up the Rover name for the production of vehicles again.

What are they waiting for?

Jordan Apex
7th April 2015, 17:27
Do Tata Motors still own Land Rover?

So they could easily start up the Rover name for the production of vehicles again.

What are they waiting for?

They bought the name so no one could have a car manufacturer with a similar title detracting from their potential sales. I believe they do still own them...

Southside
7th April 2015, 17:37
I could be wrong but I'm sure I read recently that Ford still own the Rover brand.

thomas 75 connie
7th April 2015, 17:44
Bbc WM radio station are doing a special aniversary show tommorow night about it all. Can be listened to online if you don't live in the Midlands area.

Thanks I think these were the people I spoke to last year.will be listening thanks Thomas

thomas 75 connie
7th April 2015, 17:45
I could be wrong but I'm sure I read recently that Ford still own the Rover brand.

Unfortunately not the rover brand is now owned by tata.

thomas 75 connie
7th April 2015, 17:47
Within the hour here in Australia, it will be 8th. April.
It is hard to believe that it will be 10 years since the production of our fine cars ceased.
If only!
It has been said that at that time, MG Rover was contributing two billion pounds in foreign exchange earnings for the U.K.
Though no longer available, its style has not dated and provided parts supply doesn't dry up, I will be happy to retain it.
It amazes me how people refer to my car as a Jaguar or a baby Bentley. Recently I was stopped by a lady wanting to know where she could buy one - more appealing she said than her new Jag. During our short discussion (I was in line on a vehicular ferry about to disembark) I mentioned it's new price. She was astonished, remarking "that's cheap for a Rolls Royce".
An automotive engineer recently remarked that my 75 will still be giving good service for another 25 years.
I have prattled on too long.
But it is a sad anniversary, at least for me.

Thankyou for what was such an emotive post.
I'm genuinely gutted about this situation and I think that rover should have never gone under.

Leyland Worldmaster
7th April 2015, 18:40
I agree it was sad to see MGR go. However, Rover was originally based in Solihull. Well JLR are still there and of course Land ROVER, Range ROVER; still produce many vehicles don't they. All is not lost! Rover as a brand was devalued by years of being applied to vehicles that were underdeveloped- not enough money... And that hurt the Rover brand badly. The '75 was and is an excellent car... Was just too late...

Mangizmo
7th April 2015, 19:21
I still think it looks great

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=47252&stc=1&d=1428434417

e668ecp
7th April 2015, 20:12
RIP MG Rover... and so sorry again to all the workers.

All because the Labour government and the buying public stuffed them.

egremont
8th April 2015, 04:09

Reebs advised me a while ago that:
… there were 1,800 Rover 75 saloons and 112 Rover 75 tourers exported to the Australian market according to the records.
237 saloons were White Gold, and 254 were Royal Blue.
Sorry, I don't have the ZT figures at my finger tips.

Sadly, in this country, our cars only have to get a small whack in the back and the insurance companies appear only too happy to write them off. Repairable, but how many care?
We even had a guest speaker (owns an engine reconditioning business) address us at one of our monthly meetings. I was staggered when he affirmed that MG Rover made the V6 engines for the Kia Carnival vehicles. In fact Kia attained the licence to the first generation KV6 engine (as used in the Rover 800) and made their version in South Korea. Kia had a lot of trouble with their engine (different tolerances etc.) – up to 80% of the Carnival engines were said to have warranty claims at 60,000 kms (41,000 miles). I guess from a marketing perspective, it allowed them to pass the blame onto MG Rover; whilst retaining goodwill. But with MG Rover no longer existing to correct the facts, it could only tarnish the reputation of our KV6 engines.

I hear that this untruth is a major reason why wholesalers avoid our marque. If only they know!

When I have time, I must put pen to paper about this subject.

BaroqueMoon
8th April 2015, 04:25
Reebs advised me a while ago that:
… there were 1,800 Rover 75 saloons and 112 Rover 75 tourers exported to the Australian market according to the records.
237 saloons were White Gold, and 254 were Royal Blue.
Sorry, I don't have the ZT figures at my finger tips.

Sadly, in this country, our cars only have to get a small whack in the back and the insurance companies appear only too happy to write them off. Repairable, but how many care?
We even had a guest speaker (owns an engine reconditioning business) address us at one of our monthly meetings. I was staggered when he affirmed that MG Rover made the V6 engines for the Kia Carnival vehicles. In fact Kia attained the licence to the first generation KV6 engine (as used in the Rover 800) and made their version in South Korea. Kia had a lot of trouble with their engine (different tolerances etc.) – up to 80% of the Carnival engines were said to have warranty claims at 60,000 kms (41,000 miles). I guess from a marketing perspective, it allowed them to pass the blame onto MG Rover; whilst retaining goodwill. But with MG Rover no longer existing to correct the facts, it could only tarnish the reputation of our KV6 engines.

I hear that this untruth is a major reason why wholesalers avoid our marque. If only they know!

When I have time, I must put pen to paper about this subject.

Of those 237 White Gold Saloons I wonder how many were mark1 models?

Please put pen to paper when you get the chance.

Borg Warner
8th April 2015, 04:46
There's an interesting article in this month's MGOC magazine on the loss of our only indigenous major car manufacturer. Apparently there is a possibility of more redundancies occurring at what is left of Longbridge?

I understand the site has/is being redeveloped; some of it housing. No doubt with fridges in the kitchen made in Italy, a TV (or two) made in Japan, a computer made in China and a car on the driveway made in Germany, France or Korea.

How good is that for the country?

dadragon
8th April 2015, 08:13
It may be a sad anniversary, but we can all be upbeat and give ourselves a pat on the back for keeping these cars on the road, without us these fine machines would just disappear forever. :bowdown:
Regards DaDragon

ratchet
8th April 2015, 08:20
In the news this morning - the Administrators are attempting to reclaim £56m in overpaid vat.... BMW are also trying to claim it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-32209500

BaroqueMoon
8th April 2015, 08:21
It may be a sad anniversary, but we can all be upbeat and give ourselves a pat on the back for keeping these cars on the road, without us these fine machines would just disappear forever. :bowdown:
Regards DaDragon
Absolutely. It is indeed up to us to keep alive the dream.

payner75t
8th April 2015, 17:24
I guess it might be why the facelifted mg6 was launched today!

bl52krz
8th April 2015, 18:36
My uncle on my fathers side worked for Old Man Austin. He was also a founder member of the pension scheme at Austin. It makes me sick to think that RoverMG was allowed to go to the wall, yet every single foreign vehicle manufacturer in this country has received a hand out of many millions of pounds to produce here. Blindingly scandalous .