PDA

View Full Version : towbar question

french dave
11th April 2015, 11:37
Is there any difference in a towbar for a saloon or estate.
can I buy a saloon towbar for an estate
i want one for my 2002 cdt tourer

Thanks

rrobson
11th April 2015, 12:17
Yes there is a slight difference, the tourer tow bars stick out slightly more and means you have to chop the the bumper a little more if it's a fixed flange.

If you've got the choice go for a tourer but I've got a saloon one on mine and it's fine

steveo
11th April 2015, 21:07
Hi David
The saloon version doesn't have the correct amount of fixing holes for the tourer chassis legs and the spacers are different (towing eye fixing)

Imo the tourer will fit the saloon but the saloon will not fit the tourer without modification.

I fitted the tourer version to my saloon with no problems.

Regards
Steve

Hantsdave
11th April 2015, 23:08
The tow-bar that was on my Tourer when I bought it 2 yrs back was rusty and very crappy. I also had a saloon diesel 75 that I bought for donor parts and it had an almost brand new tow-bar. Needless to say that I swapped them over entirely - including the brackets that fit into the rear chassis. It may be that bearing in mind some comments above that different makes of tow-bar fit slightly differently.

It all fitted fine but as mentioned above I also had to chop away some additional bumper but it is right underneath and invisible unless you happen to be lying on the floor, or are an exceptionally short person.

D.